1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Valve releases Half-Life sales figures

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 4 Dec 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Garry's Mod is one of the best LAN party mods; that and sourceforts!

3. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

To be fair, I think I've bought HL at least three times now before loosing the disks again.

4. airchie

airchie What's a Dremel?

Hehe, goes to show if a game is good enough, it will sell.

CoD4, though it was one of the most pirated games ever apparently, I bet still sold a phenominal number of copies.

5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Man oh man.

HL is what, ten years old now? A million copies a year isn't a bad sales trip.

That said, I don't see why they feel the need to tell everyone it's popular, when in most cases people are already aware of this?

Seems like Valve are just trying to inflate their testicle size.

6. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I wish valve would release even indicative (since they wont release actual figures) steam sales figures it would very interesting.

7. Nictron

Nictron Minimodder

I think Valve is doing so well that they do not want to tell everyone about steams effectiveness. That might just cause competition for them in the marketplace.

While all the other publishers are thinking console only, valve and Blizzard are sitting back and develops for the PC communily and keeps that slice of the pie all to them selves.

Great sales tactic if you ask me.

GO VALVE!

8. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Wasn't CoD 4 most sold game last year.
    And I agree with above. Good game = good sales figures.

9. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I still can't use my original copy of Half-Life on Steam, not since I leant it to a mate and he registered it on Steam...:(

10. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

So basically all the whiners (EA and such) about PC sales are losers and morons at the same time. Here is the proof they are wrong. I wonder if they will get the message that a GOOD game will sell for years. And BAD games will sell a few weeks and then the whole internet family finds out the game is bad and sales drop like a stone. Then they blame piracy, get some government money for this. And try again with part 7 of bad game.

;)

11. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

Well, in PC gaming, if Valve wasnt being successful, no one else would.

12. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

And they were selling it for 99c the other day... If that's still going on it might be worth it, I bought it just because... well why not? I do have a box copy as well somewhere but for 60p you may as well have a nice shiny steam version too...

13. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Nah - more likely they're trying to present a different side of the story to the whining devs/pubs who say that PC gaming is dying, piracy is the cause, yadda yadda... when in reality, at least half the reason why the games made by those developers and publishers are doing so badly is because they're not very good games. They can be technically good in one area or another (usually graphics) but unless they hit the right balance of everything... they don't do too well in gamers mindsets.

Piracy is bad, no doubt about that... but devs don't help their own case when they release sub-standard rubbish then complain that it didn't sell well.

To be honest, I didn't really like Half-Life all that much at the time. It was made, later, by a great SDK and awesome mods. But even vanilla it's way better than some of the dross I've seen in recent years.

14. DragunovHUN

DragunovHUN Modder

98 cents actually, to celebrate its 1998 release. I bought a copy for everyone on my Steam friends list who didn't already have it.

15. Lilliput King

Lilliput King What's a Dremel?

Crysis much? :D

But agreed. Its become something of a scapegoat for poor sales figures generally.

16. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

who was that again?

17. Teq

Teq What's a Dremel?

Unfortunately the weak pound means I'm waiting for weekend deals to purchase things from Steam or go for the retail version instead :( Steam needs regional pricing imo, anyhoo, its nice to see such sales from Valve :)

18. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

A lot of game companies would be happy with a million sales total

19. chimaera

chimaera What's a Dremel?

Agreed - it was great while the dollar was in the toilet, but now that its a bit more on an even keel the price of new games on Steam is a bit of a rip-off - Left 4 Dead for example at release was $49.99 + VAT - which worked out at about £40. Doesn't really match up against the £20 I paid for it from Amazon and the only cost to me was waiting a couple of extra days to play the game (which since it was during the working week wasn't exactly a problem for me). In saying that though, Steam is still great for older games, especially with the weekly offers :)

20. Teq

Teq What's a Dremel?

Yep, I still get the bundles, old games and weekend deals, but its sad that I have to wait for retail because of silly prices

Tags: Add Tags