1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable Blackberry Storm

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DaveVader, 7 Dec 2008.

1. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

So, my sister is looking at getting a Blackberry Storm, she said "you're good at researching technology stuff, I want a Blackberry Storm" so my first port of call is here, the trusted people of BT.
    If anyone has/had one, knows people with them or what not, I want to know you're thoughts and opinions.

Thanks in advance, Dave('s sister)

2. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

The Telegraph has compiled a few reviews together. I personally haven't used or seen one.

Obviously, it's being compared to the iPhone. I have an iphone, and I would still take it over the Storm.

3. shomann

shomann Minimodder

I haven't worked with one myself, but as a happy iPhone user, I like to check on the competition.

To my mind, the Storm would be a fantastic upgrade for an existing Blackberry user. In fact, the only "downside" would be that it is still a RIM OS, which, like the iPhone, is a love-it-or-hate-it proposition. I know older RIM OSs have trouble with certain types of media, and antiquated email.

The only thing I would ask is what I ask to any of my friends or family that wants a new computer - "What do you intend to use it for?" If she mentions using the phone as her primary media device, like an iPod, there may be better choices out there. If she is already familar with the RIM experience, or has corporate ties to group calendaring, email and such, the Storm might be the perfect phone for her.

4. DaveVader

cheers for the advice guys, I will go pass it on.

5. DaveVader

(I know it's a double post but it bumps the thread)
    So I asked m'sister and she said
    So I said I would ask people as I don't have much knowledge in this kind of thing, so if the Blackberry good or is there a cheaper/better/more recommended alternative that isn't an iPhone?

6. fantastic dan

fantastic dan Minimodder

I'm considering trading my iphone for one. The lack of wifi is a serious issue though.

7. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

My dad has a Storm and having played with it a bit, I'd say the iPhone is far superior right now. Most of its issues could be resolved in software updates, but Verizon unlike Apple probably will try to force you to upgrade to the next crackberry rather than fix the current one (he says the same thing, that's not my iPhone fanboyism kicking in)

As touchscreen devices, neither will be great for IM. iPhone has a solid facebook app as well as a proper browser for the normal version plus an iPhone-optimized version. I think there's a facebook blackberry app, but that's about all you'll get with a sort-of-okay browser.

Try them though, that's the only way to see if it'll work for you (or your sister).

8. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

It looks and feels an afuwl lot like my LG Viewty, which is pish tbh. I'd stay clear of any thing that was even remotly like it but then i'm very jaded by it. Get an iPhone at least apple have some experience making touch devices now.

slightly off topic, did any one see this? Its quite funny especially Mr Fry's reply
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/technology/2008/11/can_stephen_fry_kill_a_gadget.html

9. ModMonkey

ModMonkey Size 11 Carbon footprint

The sad thing is that the very thing that makes the Blackberry blow the iphone away (the keyboard) has now been removed rather than moved to a slide out. Granted it would make it larger, but even so.

The Storm will not compete with the commercial consumer base that the iphone has as its not an Apple product, It will also not take the corporate market from its older brothers as that user base will soon get fed up with the touchscreen even if it is "pressable".

Its going to be the better than the iphone, but it won't win.

Last edited: 8 Dec 2008
  10. DaveVader

This is sort of what I was thinking, she has an iPod at the moment and, like me, hates it and iTunes and all the iSh*t that comes with it. I will talk to her and look at other alternatives.

11. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

I've had my BlackBerry Pearl (8100) for coming on... must be 2 or 3 years now and I love it to death. I'd never dream of upgrading to the Storm because it just isn't very good (also I loathe Vodafone). I'm upgrading to the Bold instead, maybe you could have a look at that one?

12. kempez

kempez modding again!

Dave: if she hates iPods and the iPhone, then she should 100% not get the Storm just because it's not the iPhone. It lacks the killer Blackberry feature of the physical keyboard and from when I've used it (a mate lent me one for a day or so), it's laggy and unintuitive.

My missus has a Blackberry, a very old one and she loves it - beside its bulk. Sure web browsing isn't fantastic as it displays text pages and there's no WiFi in hers either, but she really thinks it's a great device. She uses it for work and it's perfect for her, especially as she loves the keyboard on it.

I have an iPhone and frankly it's the best phone for surfing the web on the go I've ever had (and I've had quite a few). The Facebook app is quite trick if you like Facebook and Fring is a great little IM app that's free. I don't mind iTunes etc so I guess it's fine for me. The OS is slick and I like the on screen keyboard, even if it does take some getting used to.

Someone I know has a Samsung F480 which he likes, but he does fawn lovingly at my iPhone every time while sounding incredibly bitter!

13. DaveVader

Cheers for all the responses guys. I will suggest other forms of Blackberrys for her and have a look at some stuff myself.

14. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

If she wants Emails / MSN / Facebook, have you considered looking into the HTC TYTN II - as far as I know it has a keyboard for making emails / msn / texts, and I think it has a touchscreen to boot.

15. fev

fev Industry Fallout

storm has software and now hardware issues. Now i'm not saying that the iPhone or any phone is perfect. But the returns rate for the storm is rather high.

Mr. Stephen Fry also slated the storm for having a poor touch screen and unresponsive menus.

16. DaveVader

I recommended the HTC to her, will try and get more info on it (hint hint) so will search around on google, does anyone know of good Blackberrys, Hex said about the Pearl, my sister asked about the Bold or Curve.

Crikey, don't know why people can't be happy with a phone that just calls and texts, none of this fancy stuff, suits me fine. Am I getting old prematurely?

17. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

I would have a look at any of the HTC phones with a keyboard, my first two choices would be the Touch Pro or the Dream (T Mobile G1). I have a Touch Diamond and whilst it is very good, I miss a keyboard and expansion slot and it does have some awful memory leak issues.

If you do get a WM phone, have a look at BeejiveIM, it is a free IM program basically.

18. shomann

shomann Minimodder

I would say that if she hates iTunes - then yeah, no iPhone. Though I will say the UI on the iPhone and iPod Touch is quite a lot different than then iPods.

It seems to me like a viable option, assuming GSM coverage, would be the G1. It has both a touchscreen and keyboard and an OS that will (hopefully!) only get better with time. It may be more of the "geek" option though.