1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project, 'Girls! Girls! Girls!' - Cooler Master Cosmos 1000 - 2/8/09 - Finale

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by ChurchofVirus, 21 Oct 2008.

1. ChurchofVirus

ChurchofVirus What's a Dremel?

I couldn't agree more. :naughty:

2. ChurchofVirus

Mini-Update II

Since I am not going to be using the time as planned to finish off the mock side panel, I decided there was no better time than to reassemble the chassis of the case. Fun stuff. My challenge here will be to rivet the case without scratching the finish, the snap of the rivet can tend to a jerky hand a chipped paint job.

Next, I'll have to do something about the mismatching color. I've searched far and wide... locally, for rivets of an alternative material, such as copper, or brass, whatever, something that would match close to the gold/bronze color I've used. I found nothing and decided to go with just hand painting the visible rivets.

Good start..

[​IMG]

This is how much the silver aluminum rivet color jumps out..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Going well..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's the huge, IMO, difference that painting the rivet compared to just going with what I had. Sure, the colors do not match exactly, but then again the paint job had a dark base coat compared to the rivets silver color.

[​IMG]

And viola! The chassis is all back together, and it now feels like I'm getting something done. It's epic to me. :thumb:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's a angle of the hard drive cage that I had 'hollowed' out..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

So that's all I have for you at this time.. until the next! :rock:

3. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

I've got a suggestion but you wont like it.

http://alsapaint.com/products/killercans.html

Its super amazing stuff, but bloody expensive. $40/can :jawdrop:

Great looking mod so far!
    You're very lucky to use a nice paint booth.

4. ChurchofVirus

Thanks! These Killer Cans, are indeed killer. Some really nice custom colors that you could only get with a gun, but aerosol. And the can design sounds pretty sweet. The price is a bit much, but if I need a paint job that could use their specialty colors, then I'd be something I'd be willing to purchase.

5. ChurchofVirus

Mini-Update III

It's been a couple weeks since my last update. Reasons for me delay in updates and modding can be described in three things. The first being over budget, so getting more paint took a little waiting. Second would be redoing the work I already did on the side, and on top of that having to redo the top piece and mesh(which I will explain later). Third thing would be Left 4 Dead. The game is just too awesome. Zombies are my thing, and when I get the 'close enough they are infected' game that is of a top caliber, I'm set. I friggen love anything zombies.

As I mentioned before, a can of paint basically popped it's top and splashed paint all over the last set of pieces I was working on. After some time, a lot of sanding and repainting I came up with this..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The side trim and radiators painted..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Some of it put together..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The front door..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

As I was reassembling the case I had to determine the most effective way to attach the mesh covers and fan covers to the case. At first I really had no idea what would have a strong bond and would resist a little force. I made my way to the local hardware store hoping for a quality recommendation and they introduced me to Gorrilla Glue. Well, at that time neither, I nor the hardware store employee who you would think knew what he was talking about, didn't. I first decided to attach the top mesh panel to the appropriate piece, but shortly there after to my horror, the glue had 'foamed' and 'expanded', which I guess is what it does. In the wake of the chaos I had a completely useless piece of mesh, and a the top piece that now needed to be sanded and repainted.. Yeah, so I guess I learned some valueable lessons these last few weeks, but these are the lessons that will make my next mod all the better and easier.

I ended up going with a quick try epoxy and the results were great. I used it to attach both mesh pieces and the girlie fan grill.

[​IMG]

I used automotive paint protective vinyl to replace the pieces that were on the harddrive cages. These help prevent scratching from removal.

[​IMG]

The next problem I encountered was the ground wire for the light to illuminate the girlie window was busted. I'm not sure if it came that way and I didn't notice or if I did it, but the light is broke, so the window has to wait until I have funding again. I was able to finish the rest of the window.

The other pieces of acrylic in progress..

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm close to finishing, but it still seems like I have a road of work ahead of me. I'll keep to the grind and hopefully we'll get to see a little more of a finished mod on my next update. If anyone else is into Left 4 Dead like I am, I'm on under the same name.

6. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Looking really cool. I really like the sparkly purple and gold combo.

7. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

it is looking good. Sorry to hear about the hardships, but you seem to have rebounded well!
    I like the mesh, and especially how the front door with the girl opens and you have the 2 differnet mesh sizes.
    Where's the usb mini dancing stripper? ;)

8. nestcrw

nestcrw What's a Dremel?

That's pimp. Great mod, cool to see someone do something worthwhile with one of those cases.

9. ChurchofVirus

Lol man, you just totally made my day. Thanks for the comments guys. I've started working on the other side case panel for anyone who'd like to know.

10. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

11. ChurchofVirus

Yep, that's the one. :hehe:

12. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

I can dig the purple and gold as well. Way to think a little outside the norm, man.

13. ChurchofVirus

Thanks a lot, that is exactly what I was aiming for. Just trying something a little different even though it is just a mod versus a scratch build.

14. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Oh, man... a little advice. Don't fall into that 'just a mod' thing. A lot of the B-T'ers like to think that scratchbuilds are where the 'real' work is done, and in a sense this is true. But modding a stock mass-produced case takes some work as well. Especially if you make it completely different from stock to the point where you cannot easily tell what the hell it was before.

Don't cheapen your work by thinking along those lines!

Your mod here is quite cool. I'd be proud to have it sitting on my desk.

jhanlon303 likes this.
  15. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Listen to E.E.L - just a mod is a crap attitude and self deprecating. These are called project logs and are for projects - whether they be CNC machined glories like Dark Blade or as simple as doing your first window and lights.

We , the community , are after E.E.L. to do a scratchbuild. All he has shown us is 'just a mod'.
    Skills like his make JAM (coined a word Just A Mod) to be in awe of.

Look at Bill Owens and his creations. Many are JAM but the beauty is in the details and the execution.

Perk up - your stuff is cool! The new colors rock

john + rep for E.E.L

Last edited: 12 Dec 2008
  16. mooseguy

mooseguy Crazy Moose

Nice - I can't believe I hadn't noticed this one. In silver and black the Cosmos is sort of subtle and understated, but the purple and gold make it look luxurious :D. Awesome painting.

17. ChurchofVirus

I really appreciate what you guys are saying. There is a stigma about 'case mods' compared to 'scratch builds' and I guess I got stuck in it. Scratch builds are hardcore, but I have put a ton of work into my mods. And for the gold and purple, that's only the start, I still haven't really gotten to the guts yet.

And hopefully you guys already know this, but in the case you need a little affirmation, you guys rock. :rock:

18. compmodder

compmodder What's a Dremel?

wow....i just got myself a new cosmos 1000 like urs and am amazed with the work u did....the compination looks awesome and for some reason it reminds me of somethin, but can't put my finger on it...
    hope you get the guts soon

mod on :dremel:

19. Inf3ction

Inf3ction What's a Dremel?

Looking amazing man, I love the color combination.

20. bradders2125

bradders2125 What's a Dremel?

Its the same colour scheme as The 3rd Street Saints in Saints Row

Tags: