1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors The Official Bit-Tech F1 2009 Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by GreatOldOne, 18 Nov 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

No refueling???

2. Mother-Goose

Mother-Goose 5 o'clock somewhere

VAG (say it like you mean it!) Stands for Volkswagen Audi Group I believe :) but really now it's more like Porsche is made up of Porsche, VW, Audi, Seat, Skoda (YAY), Lambo and Bugatti.

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Not any more. linkage.

4. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Here's the cost cutting measures that all the teams have agreed to during the FOTA / FIA summit this week:

http://www.planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3213_4631697,00.html

Interesting stuff - not sure about cutting race distances, and I'm guessing the 'market research' looking into Ecclestroll's medal-ing will kill it outright (which is nice).

I'm unsure as to 'double the life span of the engines' does this mean as of now, are as of 2010? because there's already an agreement that the engines have to last 3 races instead of 2... this statement could mean 4 races or 6 races.

The no-refuelling will be good - that will drive the teams to become more fuel efficient, as well as extracting more power for less revs (down to 18,000) - real world applications could come of it.

Plus it'll save embarrassing, clown like pit lane incidents, eh Mr Montezemolo? And of course, if the teams get the fuel load and mix wrong, we'll have people conking out a couple of corners from the finish like the good old days. ;)

5. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Don't like the sound of refueling ban. Have always found pit stops and the various strategies to be one of the more interesting aspects of GP.

6. Logikal One

Logikal One Is that with or without fries?

Agreed, A lot of races are won and lost thanks to pit row strategies. But on the other end of the spectrum there is now more chance for the drivers to really show their skills.

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Cutting race distances is a bad idea imo, the other problem is limiting the development side of things.

Sure, it's a cost-cutting measure, but why should teams prepared to spend the money have to suffer?

Another thing that annoys me at the minute is trying to make the sport green. To me F1 is the ultimate expression of no compromises motorsport, and shouldn't worry about being green whilst on the track. Offset the carbon emissions of the team by planting a forest every year.

8. dragontail

dragontail 5bet Bluffer

QFT.

9. sesterfield

sesterfield What's a Dremel?

iirc F1 has been carbon-neutral since the late 90's.

I have no problem with green technologies in F1 at all, but find it amusing that the FIA previously banned kers-style devices and heat recovery systems yet both are being "proposed" as ways of making F1 green (and in the case of kers in a very restricted form). Moseley spouting rubbish about the teams being afraid of innovation from their response to kers is absurd, if the regulations were such that they could be sure of gaining performance from developing such systems then there wouldn't be an issue!

Last edited: 13 Dec 2008
  10. GreatOldOne

11. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

O. M. G.

That basically confirms outright corruption. While other teams are struggling to get anywhere and budgets were being cut, Ferrari were gift horsed the top seed.

**** em. **** this "sport".

12. Gremlin

Gremlin What's a Dremel?

We all knew it was true but we never bloody expected bernie to admit it , jesus just more proof just how much he has lost the plot!

thats just ****ed right up

13. RTT

RTT #parp

oh the drama!

14. Tim S

Tim S OG

megaLOL

15. GreatOldOne

16. GreatOldOne

Toyota out the door next?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7794888.stm

If it's loosing money for the first time ever, I can't see the top brass in Japan (who are probably in shell shock) wanting to pump large amounts of cash into an F1 team. Ford pretty well ditched the Jaguar team when it realised it was flushing money down the drain, and we all know about Honda.

17. Tim S

Tim S OG

I was thinking that when I heard the news this morning!

18. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Hope not :sigh:

19. GreatOldOne

Toyota aren't getting their coats yet, according to PF1:

http://www.planetf1.com/story/0,18954,3213_4686264,00.html

That should be a relief to the team. I imagine budgets will be slashed though, as they where always touted as the most funded team in the paddock not so long ago. ($200m+ per season, IIRC)

20. wolfticket

wolfticket Downwind from the bloodhounds

Toyota have had some success and show signs of improvement, becoming more successful and competitive. Things Hondo utterly lacked.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.