1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Google maps Manhattan in 3D

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 19 Dec 2008.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Looks neat, if someone hadn't already build a perfect terrorism simulator google just perfected it!

3. Major

Major Guest

:clap:

4. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

What is that supposed to mean? How does this benefit terrorists?

5. StephenK

StephenK Sneak 'em Upper

Tad silly comment, but meant in jest im sure :)

What gets me is that for a sec I thought the image was a photo not the 3d map. Excellent :)

6. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Yep, like it. But then again... what use would I have for a 3D view of each and every urban area? I mean there is no way this replaces a real trip there. And unlike some people I don't really 'feel' it... in a picture. If I want to see it, I go there.

7. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

Because obviously terrorists can't plan their attacks without evil corporations providing them plans to do it first. It's true! The London bombers were lost without tfl.org, and 9/11 could never have happened if the hijackers hadn't practiced on Microsoft Flight Sim 1998. Obviously this will enable terrorists to carry out henious crimes where before they just turned up at New York, went "ahh, it's too big and we're lost, if only we had a pretty 3D model of the city!" and ran away. Damn you Google!

StephenK likes this.
  8. StephenK

StephenK Sneak 'em Upper

Hahahahahah! Awesome Bauul!

9. stephen2002

stephen2002 What's a Dremel?

Microsoft's map product has had 3D models of major cities for a long time. Fly to NY and the very detailed 3D buildings, which from the looks of it are auto-generated by the birds-eye photos, stretch to the horizon. They even have clouds (based off of the current weather) in most areas. Some areas even have foliage.

10. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

They have some 3D UK cities as well (e.g. Bristol), which I've not seen from Google yet. I haven't checked Earth for a while though.

11. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

Instead of just looking up a location on a map before going there, you can check what the buildings over there look like. For me that would be a huge benefit. Seeing the landmarks beforehand makes it easy to recognize them in real life. For instance, when going to a job interview, instead of relying on a vague Randomstreetname 123, you can see where the main entrance is and head straight there. :thumb:

12. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

The MS/Multimap "Bird's Eye" view seems to have pretty good UK coverage and comes within a couple of miles of my home over some very rural country. It looks very sharp, almost Toy-Town, and it does make it much easier to recognise buildings. Only pity is I can't fill more of the screen as with Google Earth. :(

13. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I still don't see it, sorry. I find it quite easy to find any given address. I just plan in 10 or 15 minutes more and I'm fine in 99% of all cases.

Anyways, what was the official purpose for Google Earth and MS' WhateverIt'sCalled? Clearly not free sight-seeing tours for everyone?

Tags: Add Tags