1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Build Advice Noob: Comp build help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MarkW7, 3 Dec 2008.

1. MarkW7

MarkW7 Total Noob

One has fan, others have heatsinks and others have nothing.

So your saying dont install the ones with no heatsink / fan because they're prob dead.
    That leaves 3:
    1 with heatsink and fan
    2 with just heatsinks
    The VGA one which had nothing in first place.

Which would be best.

2. morris8809

morris8809 Minimodder

first, try looking on the labels around the card and see if you can find a model number, that will help us let you know which one would be best if they work. Also where did you pick those up from?

3. MarkW7

MarkW7 Total Noob

I've looked none have any model numbers on; ebay.

4. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

The cards without a cooler or heatsink aren't necessarily dead, but I'd be wary about them nonetheless. At the very least you need to remove the thermal interface material residue, apply some new and then fit a new cooler. These cards probably cannot run without a cooler of some sort. As for figuring out which card is most likely to be useful you should take some pictures of the actual graphics chips (after cleaning off the gunk).

5. MarkW7

MarkW7 Total Noob

So they wont run without a cooler but will they still run with only a heatsink on ?

What should i use to clean them.

Ok; added models and other bits on what i can find.

Last edited: 21 Dec 2008
  6. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

White spirit will do it...

Just hold a ball of tissue on the end of a bottle of it, tip up the bottle, put the bottle back down and remove the tissue...

That'll do you... as for heatsinks just have a look on ebay, I'm sure there are some self-adhesive pastes and GPU heatsinks that'll fit :)

7. MarkW7

MarkW7 Total Noob

Hey Sharn,

I have some CPU paste already, could i use that? also ive added some models / numbers to my pics on page 2 could you help me out with which ones the best.

Thanks.

8. morris8809

morris8809 Minimodder

at 9600 or 6200 nvidia will probably be the best out of that group but youll need to find a HS/fan for it.

9. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

I think video card #3 (Geforce 6600) is your best bet, it has a cooler already and it's fairly decent for web surfing and stuff.

#1 and #2 are COMPLETELY rubbish, they hardly have the power to run the GUI of Windows XP...

#4 seems to need a fan.

#5 and #6 need coolers. Propably a bit hard to find right ones. Video cards are hot ba*tards.

10. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Hmm... I cannot see a Geforce 6600 in any of the descriptions Mark added. I'd say the Geforce 6200 or the Radeon 9600 Pro are the best bets. I'm not liking the 6200 being a PCI card and the 9600 Pro needs a cooler of sorts.

As for removing thermal paste you could use isopropanol/isopropyl alcohol. That's the standard tape head cleaner from yore.

Come to think of it I have a standard 9800 Pro cooler lying around somewhere. Wonder if I could get that to you somehow...

11. MarkW7

MarkW7 Total Noob

Hi all,

Of your reccommendations it looks like the top 2 are;

GeForce amd Radeon 9600 Pro? and because the GeForce only has DVI and i have VGA looks like the Radeon is my best bet, and hopefully i can put the heatsink of the ATI on it then will it be ok?

Mark

- Some googling later [My stats]-

1 and 2 - Rubbish.
    3 - GeForce 6200, good but only has DVI.
    4 - ATI R92 D3L, Radeon 9200, 256mb, DDR SDRAM, needs fan.
    5. ATI R96 C3, Radeon 9600, 128mb
    6. Radeon 9600 Pro, 128mb, DDR - upgraded version of number 5?

and the best is number 6?

Also stupid question? Can i clear the paste with tissue with a little bit of water on.

Last edited: 21 Dec 2008
  12. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

No, you can definitely not use a moist tissue to clean off the thermal paste! Also, I'm not sure if you're suggesting to use the passive heatsink from the R9200 on the R9600 Pro. That won't fly ...for long. As for the GF6200, as it's apparently a DVI-I connector it also supports VGA. All you would need is one of those DVI->VGA adapters. You practically get one thrown in your face every time you're frequenting a computer store. :)

13. MarkW7

MarkW7 Total Noob

Hey,

Lol i just realised how much of a noob i am, i have 6 cards and i can't choose 1!

Yeah, i was thinking of just putting the heatsink of the Radeon, [Fits perfectly] the best one but then i need a fan? and i dont know which fan would go on.

:(

14. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I wouldn't say you're a newbie. I'd rather say you're in a difficult position. Not only is your budget practically non-existent, but you also have an array of (graphics) hardware of which nothing really works out-of-the-box. Either you're missing one part or the other.

I know that the heatsink from the R9200 will fit the R9600Pro, but the latter gets a lot hotter than the former, so it's only a question of time until the card will fry. Somehow you need to find an adequate cooler for the thing. Oh, and remember you will also need reapply new thermal paste before mounting the cooler.

15. MarkW7

MarkW7 Total Noob

Do you any cheap places i can get a good heatsink and cooler that will fit on any of the red cards incase one doesnt work, i have CPU paste will that do the job?

16. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Sadly not, as I don't live in the UK. As for thermal paste it's the same thing you use for both CPUs and GPUs.

17. MarkW7

MarkW7 Total Noob

Can a normal case fan suck the hot air out or can it only blow cold.

18. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Oh yes, sorry, my bad... of course I meant 6200. :)

Normal case fans are too large for use on video cards. But yes, they do both blow and suck air. :)

You're propably going to need a larger cooler than the one you have on the Radeon 9200.

And you'll need a small fan, like 40x40mm:
    [​IMG]

19. MarkW7

MarkW7 Total Noob

Hello, the heatsink on there now fits ok but i need a bigger one, as with the fan a 40mm fan do i need it to blow cold air on or suck it out.

20. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

I believe you would best get the fan to move warm air away from the heatsink/GPU. Usually fans have a marking (arrow) on the side showing the airflow direction.