1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware HIS (AMD) ATI Radeon HD 4830 512MB

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 30 Oct 2008.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2008/10/30/his-ati-radeon-hd-4830-512mb/1

Last week AMD announced the Radeon HD 4830 under a bit of a cloud after cards shipped out with an incorrect number of shaders enabled. We have a look at the HIS Radeon HD 4830, which happens to be the cheapest card in the UK, to find out how it compares to the fierce competition out there.

:eyebrow:

2. Hustler

Hustler Minimodder

You know, in the States, where consumers arent ripped off left right & centre by their retailers this card makes sense.

But in the UK where we are continually assaulted by extortionate retailer mark-ups, theres little point to it, when you can get a 4850 for just a bit more.

At £70 this would be a must buy, at £90 its just too close to the 4850.

3. Tim S

Tim S OG

4. salesman

salesman Minimodder

It comes down to what you want to do with the card, and that would be for me run Fallout 3 at 1920x1080. *sigh* I can still dream though. I would like to see benchmarks of current gen video cards playing fallout 3. I image that's coming very soon, so I'm looking forward to it.

5. DarkFear

DarkFear What's a Dremel?

My 8800GT is gnawing its wrists off in self-pity after seeing those performance graphs…

6. Sark.inc

Sark.inc What's a Dremel?

not to be picky, but can you guys start using a few more games to compare with, as those "5" games do not really show that much, even if some are "designed" to run on nvidia cards.

7. mobius9

mobius9 Minimodder

Are the power consumption ratings of the entire system, or just of the card? I don't see it mentioned specifically in the article. I think I already know the answer, but I have to know for sure (1U power supply restrictions x_x)

8. Tim S

Tim S OG

It's total system power consumption at the wall socket (at roughly 80 percent efficiency).

9. sir_burns

sir_burns What's a Dremel?

hmmmm.... not sure if this review really does this card justice ..... the 4830 is still the best bang for your buck..... especially when crossfired... they scale very well.. I just picked up two powercolor hd4830s for $130 each canadian, each came with a $25 mail in rebate.. so thats a Crossfire setup for $210 canadian.. the powercolor card is easily the best 4830. it comes stock with 1.25v to the core, were most only come with 1.1v, and most people are getting these on stock cooling up to 750 or higher stable.. when clocked at this speed and in crossfire these liitle bad boys are outdoing the gtx280 for only 200 bucks.... if you search google there some with better cooling that increased the vcore to 1.5v and are hitting 900 on the core.....

10. Tim S

Tim S OG

Welcome.

We didn't review the Powercolor card and, as shaders get more complex in games, the 4850 will become an even better value. The difference in price in the UK (we're a UK site, after all) wasn't enough to make the 4830 worth buying over a 4850. Why buy a gimped card for £90 when you could get a fully functional RV770 chip for less than £105?

11. Gremlin

Gremlin What's a Dremel?

I'm pretty suprised at the Overclocking ability of the HIS card, i got a sapphire 4830 yesterday for 179AUD (£80) and it overclocks like mad, fully stable on stock volts for a healthy 715/1950mhz, and it stays below 75c full load with a 30c ambient and only 3 120mm low speed case fans, and that should improve when i add more case fans which are on order and tidy up my cabling, i recon if i bios mod it for more volts i could push the card much higher too while still saying with safe temps aswell

i find it a pretty damn good deal here considering the cheapy no name generic 4850 with a totally reference design is about $220AUD (£100) and for a brand name 4850 with non reference cooling you would be paying probably up to $280AUD (£125) , now the reference design isnt so bad if your in say the UK or anywhere cool but a reference cooling graphics card during an Australian summer that regularly has been past 40c for a few days at a time is just asking for component failure for those of us without air con haha

Plus the ability to pick up one of these cheaply (considering currently you can pick up a 3850 for close to $100 AUD) to throw in crossfire with both cards overclocked would be a great upgrade for the price

12. Tim S

Tim S OG

awesome result with the overclocking - thanks for posting!

13. Gremlin

Gremlin What's a Dremel?

Cheers tim, there is much more room for clocking i've pushed it fully stable up to 730/2000 and stable enough for a 3d mark vantage run at 750/2010 but i need to test more for stability before calling it rock solid

i'm just hesitant to push it much further until all the cooling fans and xigmatec s1283 turns up since i'm running the stock amd cooler on an athlon x2 5400+ on a ga-ma78gpm-ds2h and as you can imagine it can get a little hot inside the case in the Aussie summer heat!

Maybe i was lucky and got one monster of a chip or sapphire are onto something, i'd vote the latter since i know of one person who on a bios modded (for more voltage) sapphire 4830 got to and is running a stable 850mhz core!! And some people who are using after market air coolers are getting it up above 750 on stock with some pretty low temps

Would the disabling of the extra shaders on this card be part of the reason for the ability for the chip to clock so high and still maintain safe temps? Thats the only reason i could think of to explain it

Also from what i've noticed from pics of the matching 4850 from sapphire the pcb and coolers are exactly the same, no noticable missing caps etc like the his card so that might help with overclocking, so if you ever plan on using a 4830 to test or review i'd highly suggest this card

14. SiliconDoc

SiliconDoc What's a Dremel?

The insane bias is almost making me puke

" The slower of the two RV770-based products, the Radeon HD 4850, successfully dispatched the GeForce 9800 GTX (and later the 9800 GTX+) in all but a few games, while the Radeon HD 4870 ended up faster than the GTX 260 and only marginally slower than the flagship GTX 280 in many scenarios with only Crysis being the notable exception. "

Good gawd... it's just unbelievable what comes spewing out of reviewers yappers. What a pile of hogwash.

15. Tim S

Tim S OG

:confused:

Tags: Add Tags