1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

It's not the temp as far as I can tell - they squeak whether it's -3 or 15'C.

The mudguard works like a treat - the back one is a little short, so my rucksack gets a bit damp if there's a lot of standing water.

I got 'em from the Chainreactioncycles flood sale - it was only £12 for the pair!

Ramble: I can't stand clipless pedals, they drive me totally insane.

2. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Why's that? They're superior in virtually every way.

3. overdosedelusion

overdosedelusion I mostly come at night, mostly..

Seconded. Once you go clipless, you wonder how you ever went without 'em.

4. Krikkit

I can't really quantify what annoys me so much about them, it's just irritating.

5. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Nifty.

Your front fender is mounted incorrectly. It should be stuck just under your steerer tube (hence why the front half of the fender is raised like that, to clear the arch on the fork). But it'll still work like that, just most likely not as well, and may be in the way of your feets.

As for the squeaking, could be the pads/disks wearing in, something on the pads that's destroyed them (oils), poor alignment (though doubtful), or it could just be that you have squeaky brakes.

All disk brakes squeak, don't let anybody tell you otherwise.

A few quick tips: get them hot, as disks will always work better slightly on the warm side (the pad softens slightly). Don't have the pads absolutely in-line with the rotor, just an ever so slight bit out of alignment is alright if you're not abusing your brakes and want to get rid of the squeaking, the only downside being that if you hammer on them too much like this, or do sustained braking runs, your rotor/pads will be destroyed.

As well, consider high-quality "race" pads (not the super-high friction pads though), as they're often better for not squeaking.

6. Krikkit

Thanks Malf. :D

I know the front guard is slightly in the wrong place, but there's nowhere to mount it under the bottom of the steerer tube - it's just a gaping hole.

Squeaking discs doesn't bother me that much, it's just a minor annoyance. Either way, I'm loving the raw power of discs.

7. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

Alright guys, I figure you can help me. I'm looking for a nice folding bike. This is for future use after I graduate next semester. Basically I want a bike I can keep in my trunk or taking up less space in my apartment.

I was really looking at the Montague Paratrooper, however $800 is a lot of money. >_<
    http://www.montagueco.com/bikes/paratrooper-folding-bike.html

Does anyone own or know of a good lesser expensive folding bikes?

8. Krikkit

How big is your trunk? Could you get a normal bike in there without the wheels?

9. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

Hmm, haven't tried that. And I might have a new car by the time summer comes around. Actually I'm counting on that, haha. But I do know a mountain bike would not fit in the trunk of my '83 Grand Prix.

I don't have a bike anymore to try, I gave up riding since a pretty nasty accident I had when I was a freshman in high school. I'm looking for a mountain bike and I figure a folding bike would work out the best for me.

Like I'm totally willing to splurge on a nice folding bike like the paratrooper, however, I just want to see my options before I get carried away. My last impulse buy was a $200 office chair. So I tend to get carried away sometimes. :duh:

10. Krikkit

Was just thinking that for $800 you can get a pretty decent bike really, whereas you'll be paying extra for having it fold. :)

11. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

Haha I know, I've been looking at some of the bikes on here and I'm really impressed.

But folding might work out best for me. I would like to ride up in the hills just North of where I am, however I don't want to pedal 15 miles up hill just to get where I really want to ride bike. lol

So that's why I'm looking for a bike I can throw in the trunk of car, drive to the beautiful forested area, then ride. =p

12. DarkReaper

DarkReaper Alignment: Sarcastic Good

Folding mountain bike? God no...

You'd be better getting a decent bike and a rack to mount it on the car dude.

13. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

Omg no! :eyebrow:

Racks look TERRIBLE on vehicles. Unless you're driving a mini van. Then vehicle looks don't matter. :blush:

No bike is worth putting a rack on a nice car either, haha.

A montague bike looks like it might be my best choice for what I want.

14. ethanator

ethanator Waste not want not

splendid idea:thumb:, will do when i have some more time to get some of my bike pics up

15. DarkReaper

DarkReaper Alignment: Sarcastic Good

I really can't say it enough - don't buy a folding bike and expect it to be a good off-roader! My car just has a towbar fitted with sockets for two L-shaped bars that slot in when needed, so when you aren't carrying a bike it's discreet.

Of course if you prize vanity over a decent ride then do what ye will :rolleyes: but for a Specialized Rockhopper Disc costs less and will give you far more enjoyment in the long run.

16. Malvolio

Malvolio .

http://www.slingshotbikes.com/bikes/11

About the only one I would ever buy. It's an alright frame out of the box, and is easily upgraded. Very unique, and swish.

17. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Ok, don't expect a good bike by any means then.

18. RTT

RTT #parp

Huh? Bike racks arent permanent features - you can remove them. Who gives a flying **** what your car looks like with a bike rack on it? :)

Last edited: 26 Dec 2008
  19. Krikkit

+1. If you've got enough money to have a car that's ruined by a bike rack, you've got enough money for a beater car you can take when you ride places... ;)

20. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

Bah, I still wouldn't put a bike rack on any of my vehicles, even my "beater" you could call it since it's only worth around $2,000. :p

I don't get all the fuss about bicycles? Maybe I'm missing something, but is there really a big difference between a folding bike and a normal bike?

Bicycles over here in ND aren't that big of a deal because they aren't a viable means of transportation. So most everyone I know that does have a bike it's one you can buy at Wal Mart. Nothing special. So I really don't know what all the fuss is about? :confused: