1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What to see in London

Discussion in 'General' started by Glider, 28 Dec 2008.

1. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Hello fellow BT'rs,

My girlfriend and me will be going on a city trip to London at the end of January (30/1 => 1/2) and I was wondering what the must see places are over there. I know London is a huge city, and therefore I'd like to have some insiders information.

We both enjoy a fair bit of culture, so museums and the likes are the things we are looking for. Also, we like a good drink now and then, we are Belgians after all, so cosy pubs are welcome too. Or a where to eat place. In short we like to sniff up the atmosphere of the city.

So let the suggestions flow in! And thanks in advance!

2. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

well i would suggest as your there for a couple of days go on one of the open top bus tours (thought it may be cold so wrap up warm)

and try to get tickets to a musical or a show of some kind as i am sure you would both enjoy that.

3. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

british museum is awesome, as is the natural history museum. both have incredible architecture (british for its fusion of modern and classic, NHM for its just plain awesome gothic/animal inspired interiors).

you must check out the National Portrait Gallery; it hides behind leicester square (finish the day with a movie, or a show!), along with the Tate Modern. a nice way to get to that is from St Paul's cathedral; walk towards the river and cross the millennium footbridge and you'll find yourself in front of it. if you have time, check out chinatown (very near to leicester square) for lunchtime, there's some good dim sum restaurants there (i've been to new world; cheap, reasonable quality, has the trolley girls for an authentic dim sum experience).

if you fancy a bit of shopping, don't bother with oxford street; most of the shops there are high street boringness. Regent Street is more interesting, and the side streets hide a multitude of great bars and restaurants. High Street Kensington (near to the natural history museum) is also a great place to shop.

London is the best city in the world hands down; enjoy your trip and whatever you do don't rely on the weather being good!

edit: forgot to add: make sure you take a wander through regents, or hyde, park!

Last edited: 28 Dec 2008
  4. RTT

RTT #parp

Seconded

5. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

Yes! go to both!

6. Charel

Charel What's a Dremel?

NHM is always worth a visit, the science museum doesn't have a lot in it at the moment, I think they're updating a few of the exhibits for the new year though.

7. alastor

alastor Minimodder

NHM is definitely a must, treat her to a surprise trip on the Eye around sunset if the weather is nice...works a charm :thumb: :p

8. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Terminal 5 is a bit of a laugh, if you have time.

9. Shadowed_fury

Shadowed_fury Minimodder

+1

10. ArtificialHero

ArtificialHero We were just punking him sir!

If you like alternative shopping and music, Camden's the place to go. Just get the underground there and then have a wander around. Also, the Tate Modern and the Science Museum are both worth a visit, on top of the other museums above (especially the Natural History Museum).

11. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Although its quite pricey, (£30+ per head) Dinner or lunch in The Wolosley (next to The Ritz) is quite an experiance, and a very nice meal aswell.

Also, Burlington Arcade is something to look at to.

12. identikit

identikit Minimodder

All of this. And http://www.lastminute.com/site/ente...nce=1&numTickets=2&maxPrice=&catID=&x=58&y=22

Lastminute is great for that, 'Ticket+Dinner' deals are pretty awesome.

13. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

The Queen!

14. dom_

dom_ --->

I can't believe no one has mentioned the v&a yet.
    The best gallery/museum in london.

15. FuzzyOne

FuzzyOne

Go see Camden for the day and try out some exotic food!

16. dom_

dom_ --->

Exotic food and camden don't go together!

Cheap chinese takeaway and camden does though. Although camden is good for clothes/shoes and other weird things. Only a few minutes walk/bus from the london zoo too.