1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - Complete Neptune's Trident: Wallpapers

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Boddaker, 31 Dec 2008.

1. Boddaker

Boddaker Still hangin around

Well, here we go again with another project! With BSG finally complete, the family settled in at the new house,
    and my work area in place, I can mod once again. :)

This project will be a more traditional mod, in the sense that it won't be scratch built, or have fabricated engine
    pods or other appendages attached to it. It will be simple, clean, and functional.

I originally came up with the idea to do a case mod that revolved around the number 3. As far as components go,
    it will have 3 video cards, DDR3 memory, 3Ghz processor, 300Gb hard drive, and three water cooling loops.
    One of the main features of the case will be three Primochill Typhoon III dual-bay reservoirs with attached pumps
    mounted in the drive bays. It was from these pump/res's that the watery theme was realized. The name lends
    itself well to the underlying water elements while staying consistent with the number "3".

The case I'm starting with is a Lian Li V2000. It will have a trident-shaped window on the side that will wrap
    around the corner towards the reservoirs, and three pass-through holes at the bottom where the three 120mm
    rads will be located. Here is a preview animation of the case:

[​IMG]

With most of the planning done and parts ordered, I should be able to finish this mod fairly quickly.
    Special thanks go to Moddersmart.com for working with me to get everything I need for this project! :D

Editor22 likes this.
  2. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

Looks good. Interesting design... I like the wrap-around corner window. Can't wait to see it develop... Your animation is making me seasick, though. :hehe:

3. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

It's got 3 sets of wheels too! Glad you didn't decide on the number 6. Look like a Peterbilt.

john

4. wbdog206

wbdog206 not me

this should be interesting.
    can't wait to see it take shape.

5. Boddaker

Ok, so here's the case. First time I've worked on a Lian Li, and I must say it is a pretty stout case! Well built and nice thick aluminum panels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

...And gutted. That didn't take long! lol
    [​IMG]

And I'm off and running. :)

6. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Neat! I like what you have come up with for the radiators. That's much better than smearing them all over the case, or hanging them off the back.

+1 on the wraparound windows. The side design is nice, but let me be the first person to say 'spork'.:hehe:

7. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

That looks very interesting and neat... i shall keep checking this one

8. Boddaker

lol I'm more partial to "threek" myself (fork= four pronged; threek=three-pronged :p )

9. steelkane

steelkane It's Not Just A Box

Awesome, I like your work, I'll be watching

10. lxrysprtmscl

lxrysprtmscl Minimodder

i love the idea of this.

will be watching.

- lxrysprtmscl

11. TotalEntropy

TotalEntropy Coming soon...

Only thing that really bothers me about it is that the radiators will essentially be passing the same air. In reality the performance difference will probably be negligible, but the concept of each radiators using the last radiator's heated air puts me off. Still, will be waiting to see how this one turns out.

12. pistol_pete

pistol_pete Air Cooled Fool

I'd say (as an aerodynamisist) that you are going to get, at best, 25% fresh air entering at the 2nd and 3rd radiators. Having the 'air chamber' wider than the fans as you have, will help a bit by inducing mixing, otherwise I'd say closer to 90% hot air entering the next stage.

Say you have a Q6600 with 95W at heat at stock speed, full load. A silent 30cfm fan pushes 0.0226kg of air in a second. deltaT=power/(mass_flow * specific_heat_of_air), specific heat being 1004 J/kg/K... So after passing the first rad, the air will increase in temp by just over 4 degrees C.

Say you've also got a 8800GT hooked to the second rad adding another 100W, you'll be taking in air 9 degrees above ambient into the third rad (not accounting for any air mixing).

These temperature increases will add directly to the temps you components run at in each loop - assuming you have 3 loops.

What I'd suggest is putting the least temperature sensitive components in the third loop, and the most temperature sensitive in the first. OR you could have the lowest power loop into the first, such that there won't be much temp rise - pressumably a loop with the RAM, NB, SB, as people seem to do.

What hardware are you planning on using? If you're putting two GTX 280s onto one rad, that's a lot more heat than I've calculated for.

Is the intake for the PSU at the front, or a 120mm on it's top taking air from the main case? Otherwise it will just be sucking hot air, though I suppose they do this inside a case normally.

Overall I think it will work fine, but remember you'll be adding to the temperatures of the final loop.

13. skullen

skullen Minimodder

Nice one Boddaker looking forward to this :thumb:

14. slipperyskip

slipperyskip Member

Subscribed.

That Moddersmart.com looks like a great place for all your modding needs! :thumb:

15. x06jsp

x06jsp da ginger monkey!!!!

woo another bods mod :D

Josh

16. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

nice, the render looks real nice. Lucky you getting a V2000

17. bentleya

bentleya Lian Li Snail :)

here in post 17 viewing away :) going to be good

18. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

This looks like a very nice concept! If I were to guess at your reasoning for a more 'traditional' looking case... would I be right? :D Nevertheless, I'm looking forward to your quality execution here!

19. Boddaker

Wow, you really thought that one out lol. However, I did take that into consideration. Here's the rad/fan configuration I came up with to alleviate the situation:

From the front: intake fan|1st rad [hole] 2nd rad|intake fan [hole] intake fan|3rd rad [hole]

The first and second fans will push air through their rads and exhaust out the first hole. The second hole will provide fresh cool air for the second and third radiators. The third fan will draw air in from the second hole and out the third. Basically, I just turned the 2nd rad/fan around. Thus, no radiator will be sucking in used hot air from the other. And the PSU will be mounted vertically in the back, with its intake facing towards the back so it will also be getting fresh cool air in, and exiting out the bottom.

:)

20. Boddaker

lol You probably would! :p (that, and I want to complete this in less than a month hehe.)