1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Retro Reinventing the Dreamcast - in a Dreamcast (need help)

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Guest-16, 30 Dec 2008.

1. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

2. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

Now I want to go buy house of dead and house of dead 2 for the wii... Thanks a lot Bindi...

Good luck with this, seems like a golden idea, and I'm sure with patience, you'll be able to succeed... Just remember progress is a slow process, and if you find yourself getting frustrated, just walk away for a few hours than return...

3. foxxes

foxxes What's a Dremel?

Whatever happened to shenmue 3?

4. itazura

itazura PAWAA GURABU DAISUKI, YABAI DESU YO

i'd assume it's because of a lack of money. sega seem to somewhat like doing things on the cheap these days, but i suppose that's what they've got to do to keep afloat. they just can't keep chucking money at things anymore.

personally, i gave up hope of ever seeing a third one long ago. plus it kind of feels like the (brilliant) yakuza series has taken it's place for me anyway.

5. tech3312

tech3312 Where's my dremel o.0

If you still want it quiet and durable in case it drop you can get 4 2GB (i can usually find it around for 5$ a price) and a usb hub and link it up running Raid 0.....

6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

RAID 0 on USB? Hubs are shared, it would be utterly pointless. The whole idea is storing the games on the hard drive to have quick access and ultimate transportability without losing them :)

7. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

i think i have missed the point of this project, is it purely a PC to play DC games, or emu other plateforms? little lost here! lol!

8. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

It's a PC within a DC to play Emu DC games. Convoluted, really.

9. tech3312

What HD capacity are you planning to get?

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Whatever I can find and whatever I need. I've got some SSDs spare to test with right now, but I'll invest in a proper drive later if this works out.

11. tech3312

YAY SSD!!

12. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

13. Tulatin

Tulatin The Froggy Poster

I hate to kill your parade, but I don't think an atom can emulate a DC properly. You'd need to get a hold of an AM2 / Core 2 ITX board. Otherwsie, this could be awesome.

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I dont know - it was only a 200MHz CPU in the DC, and a very basic (by todays standards) graphics core with 16MB of memory. I recon a 1.6GHz might be able to.

15. NiHiLiST

NiHiLiST New-born car whore

I think you'll be lucky to run most games at full speed with a 1.6GHz Atom if this is anything to go by. They recommend a clock speed of at least 2.6GHz with a P4 or 1.86GHz with a Pentium M. I'd think clock-for-clock performance of the Atom will be closer to the P4.

16. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Hmm, then it might be a £20 sempron and a Jetway 8200 mini-ITX board then.

17. 1ad7

1ad7 What's a Dremel?

Im so freaking excited about this. I loved the dream cast and when I finally had $$$ to buy one, they went belly up.... the dream cast introduced me to GTA :) so I owe it my life :p

18. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

I'm with Nihilist on this one, emulators require much more horsepower than their console originals. Hell, even my girlfriend's 1.2Ghz laptop sometimes struggles with a Megadrive emulator, let alone a DC one. Granted we run it with full AA but still.

Best of luck with it all, I'd love to see the end result. My experience with DC emaultors are unfortunately quite patchy, running into bugs and graphical glitches left-right-and-centre, but hopefully you'll have better luck.

19. genesisofthesith

genesisofthesith complete spanner

Why would SEGA release a download only console when they could release their old games for download on the current consoles/pc?

They could however get a cut of other companies download sales by licencing dreamcast emulation code to third partys who don't want to recompile their old games for new systems. For the third party it's essentially 100% profit from making old code available, and for SEGA they get a slice of the pie.

20. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

NullDC's latest iteration is very efficient and stable, much better than previous versions.
    The author releases new versions of NullDC on a slow schedule with lots of major optimisations and fixes bundled into a new release, rather than dripfeeding lots of lesser revisions, unlike most other emulators.

For news on NullDC and other emulators I usually stick with www.ngemu.com and their forums.

===
    Edit: NGEMU seem to be moving servers at the moment so I can't get into their forums right now, but there's a much more recent release of NullDC there than the one linked earlier in this thread - Faster, more stable and almost flawless emulation of some titles.