1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Lumière Noire by E.E.L. Ambiense - Completed

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by E.E.L. Ambiense, 8 Apr 2008.

1. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

No problem!

The main problem with using zip ties on hosing is the small area that doesn't get pinched tight around the edges can be a possible leakpoint. The hoseclamps I used are the typical black ones, but they look fine on it to me. I'll get another pic snapped of it installed. Thanks, Kyle!

2. Mino

Mino Ganzerli Mino

Maybe you can try to use the zip tie fastener, I don't know the exact name in english, it's this :

[​IMG]

It's just an idea, I've used zip ties, hoseclamp and compression fittings over the years, but my favourite method is zipties :)

3. headala

headala What's a Dremel?

I use needlenose pliers to tighten my zip ties; I use two per barb and never had it leak.

4. barry99705

barry99705 sudo rm -Rf /

5. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

So would you recommend Feser tubing or Tygon tubing EEL?

6. E.E.L. Ambiense

Thanks, guys. The clamps I dropped on the barbs already work great though.

I'm not sure I'd be in a position to 'recommend' anything, but honestly, either one. You get cool colors with the Feser stuff, but the Tygon doesn't seem to 'stretch out' as much after you install it on a barb though, let alone the ClearFlex. I wouldn't count that as a negative necessarily against the Feser though, because if you got it right the first time installing it, why would you need to remove it? ;)

I've also tried the XSPC UV tubing, and I really don't know why others aren't recommending it or using it much. It's really quite good. It was used in the Biohazard mod I had updated recently. Good stuff!

talladega likes this.
  7. E.E.L. Ambiense

Argh... Text update Jan. 6th

Well... here's the thing. I needed to go ahead and activate Vista because I ran out of days. Anyways, did that, no problem. I also needed to install FarCry 2 as well. So I put the disc in the drive..... nothing. No spinup; nothing. I was like, 'huh'. BIOS reads the drive fine as well. So I checked the drive in Device Manager. Looks fine. Driver installed and 'device is working properly'. Well, apparently it isn't, because I can't get anything to run on it! I tried burns, DVD's, CD's, pressed discs, nothing. The eject mechanism works, but that seems to be the end of it. I don't get it. So I Googled and read and read and Googled, but I don't see much of any substance. There was an issue with some optical drives in Vista that required some easy registry editing, which I attempted, but the keys they recommended to be removed weren't there to begin with, so that's not my problem. I think the drive just simply died. Which is funny, because it was first turned on fully and used to install Vista a month ago! I haven't burned anything with it. Barely used. But it's a Panasonic UJ-85JS (?) I believe. Made by Matshita. And apparently, these are legendary for being utter [​IMG].

I'll get this taken care of soon though. Just wanted to drop in a heads-up!

8. Boddaker

Boddaker Still hangin around

Well that just plain sucks. Have you tried putting that drive in another system to see if it works there? Or maybe try replacing the data cable for the heck of it. Just seems odd that it up and quit with so little use, but I guess stranger things have happened.

9. spenc259

spenc259 in the build stage!!!

thats unlucky with th drive! iv been quite lucky over the years when it come to components and such!!:worried:

10. E.E.L. Ambiense

It does suck. I'd try it in another system, but it won't even spin up with an OS install disc in it in the boot select menu at POST, lol. I may still pull it and try it, but I'm thinking it's just simply dead. No biggie, but it does suck.

LOL. Knock on wood, man! Don't curse yourself! :)

11. Mr.Monkey-Man

Mr.Monkey-Man Never Give Up On Any Projects !

Very Nice on monitor !
    I'm really inspired by your project and skills. Can u give me more details on that monitor mod ?
    Let me know, okay ?
    But never give up on projects !

12. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Man, I go through optical drives like toilet paper in a public stall.
    It doesn't surprise me that you got a dud.

13. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Interesting comments. I spent several hours today looking at forums that were discussing 'flashing' optical drive firmware for better performance, quality, and usability with more manufacturer's media.
    I didn't know you could upgrade a Liteon DVD burner this was.

john

14. jhanlon303

Stupid ISP and my double posts
    john

15. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

I guess if I used compression fittings it make no difference then really.

thanks

16. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

I used ClearFlex tubing, uses the exact same formula as Tygon, I never had a problem with it.

17. E.E.L. Ambiense

Thanks for the kind words, man. I actually haven't messed with that monitor at all. It's just sitting there collecting dust now. Honestly, it's too small, lol. I've moved to a 32" fullHD LCD as a monitor now and couldn't be happier!

I guess the good luck ran out for me. I hadn't had any issues with drives (except ones I purposely destroy and/or mod, that is). ;)

Oh, yeah. I generally flash drives anyways, like region-locking, bitsetting, etc. It's a good thing to do. There is a risk, but it's worth it considering what you're getting in return.

Nah, not at all. Compression fittings would work great with anything!

Nothing wrong with ClearFlex!

18. Mr.Monkey-Man

Mr.Monkey-Man Never Give Up On Any Projects !

Hey E.E.L. Ambiense
    I was wondering if u could email to me about Monitor Mod because I'm learning about monitor mod. Also, I'm really inspires about this project because its help me to make a lot of ideas for me to do the mod on Power Mac G5 in future.

Never Give up on projects !

Mr.Monkey-Man

19. E.E.L. Ambiense

Jan. 11th Update - Let There Be HELLFIRE!

Okay, small update. I've been troubleshooting the issue with the burner from every angle, and I'v come to the conclusion that it's just a POS. :lol: I've already gotten a replacement on its way to me, so when I get that I can swap them out and hopefully I'll be fine after that. Since I had been waiting on that, I've decided to go ahead and get some more wiring finished, as well as finishing the final stealth pieces for inside the chassis. So, I did so.

Here it is with a test-fit to make sure it's right. It's, in fact, right. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So, let's peel up the protective paper and get everything situated where it needs to be. After installing velcro on the backside of the first stealthplate, I put it in place. Even though I'll have to remove it to get at the IDE bays to remove the dead burner, but I'll cross that bridge when I get to it.

[​IMG]

...And the final piece over that and screwed into place with thumbscrews. Perfect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And to make things a bit more interesting, let's have a lighting test really quick, shall we? :D

Starting the beast up....

[​IMG]

...And lights-out!

[​IMG]

...Let's flip the rocker for the lighting on the bottom of the rig...

[​IMG]

...there we go....

[​IMG]

...And let's flip the rocker for the lighting on the top of the rig...

[​IMG]

...detecting a pattern? :lol:

[​IMG]

If you haven't noticed yet, the right switch's (reset switch) light is on or off in some of the pics. This is because it's the status LED for the HDD activity.

...Close-up of the res's and front of the rig...

[​IMG]

...And a side shot of the rig.

[​IMG]

Hopefully I'll be able to get the replacement optical drive installed and everything will work fine. I'll have another update when it's grown into one.

-------------
    Until the next update, I got nuthin'.

20. jhanlon303

I vaguely remember you. You used to post here a lot, didn't you?
    Now we get once a week updates and it takes my old self 2 days to recover!

:jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

Too many and I will look like CK.

john

Tags: