1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What paper(s) do you read?/Recommend me a paper

Discussion in 'General' started by Veles, 8 Jan 2009.

1. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

In light of the recent news item on Bit. Do any of you read a newspaper anymore or do you get your news fix online or some other way (or even at all)?

Me, I'm pretty oblivious to the news. If I sit down in front of the TV (a rarity these days) the news isn't often the top of my list, and same goes for online. As a sort of new years resolution (although I've been intending to do it for ages) I'm gonna try and pay more attention to the news and I think a newspaper would be a good way for me to do it, something to read when I'm away from my computer on the bus or whatever.

Probably gonna give the Guardian a shot first.

2. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I usually read the BBC, BiT, and maybe catch whatever news is on when I'm channel surfing.

Don't really read the paper though - I don't enjoy all the extra crap, and I can't find one which is intellectual enough not to have daft stories about immigrants, but not too political or elitist.

3. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

That's sort of what I'm trying to find, the tabloids are generally chock full of celebs/football or sensationalising something. However I've decided to pay more attention to politics, I'd like to have a better grasp of what's making the human world spin.

4. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

If you're looking for a good analysis of current affairs then I'd recommend The Economist.

5. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

I don't believe there is a good paper - not if you want to learn.
    The Financial Times would be the choice I'd go for though.

6. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

The New York Time / International Herald Tribune

The Washington Post

The Economist

And then Google news often times seems to point me in the direction of some good sources, like Reuters and the AP. And then a smattering of random ones like Al Jahzeera and Ha'aretz. I tend to look for papers that support award winning investigative journalists and ones that enforce a standard of conduct. IIRC, Robert Fisk used to write for the Guardian, so that seems to be a good endorsement. I do, how ever, believe in multiple sources to get differing views. I think that is as important as the sources themselves.

7. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

The Globe and Mail. <- Canadian newspaper.
    The Week
    Pilots

8. ChromeX

ChromeX Minimodder

The Sun, yeah its not exactly what the queen would read, but the sport section is better than anything from the times, guardian etc the problem pages are always hilarious and there's always the chance of keeley hazel on page 3 :) its not up its own arse and its only 30p what more do you need?

If I want anything serious, they usually have bbc news 24 on in the pool lounge at uni which is where I am most of the week.

9. TheCherub

TheCherub Minimodder

When I was at school, we used to get a copy of The Times in the form room, so I got used to that.

My Dad also used to get Time Magazine, which seemed to be reasonably good. From what I have read, The Economist is also very good, but may be in danger of slipping into the 'elitist' tag, but it certainly doesn't shy away from harder subjects which is always a bonus.

Most of the time, I tend to end up reading BBC news, simply out of convenience. I cannot stand local news on the TV, it is normally so pathetic.

10. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

If you want what I'd consider (and what a lot of other people - armed forces, etc.) the best rolling news source in the world listen to Radio 4/World Service depending on where you are.

11. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

The Metro, The only paper worth its price to a commuter. :)

12. naokaji

naokaji whatever

Most of the news are just copy paste anyway, there are companies like reuters selling the news to tv stations and newspapers and many times you actually get the exact same stuff no matter the source.
    then there are of course the tabloids that do attempt to write their own stuff, but as we all know, they pretty much fail, but what do you expect if you hire people for min wage and force them to come up with so and so many stories per day?

Online Cheesecake, you get the biggest variety, it's the cheapest way and none of the paper to dispose of.

13. felix the cat

felix the cat Spaceman Spiff

bbc news + guardian website (actual paper when Im at uni or at home - cheap at uni or free at home as the parents buy it) + goal.com for football goodness

14. itazura

itazura PAWAA GURABU DAISUKI, YABAI DESU YO

bbc news + bbc sport sites.

i'll read the mirror just because my parents buy it. i'm not a big reader of papers, but eh, at least it has some lol's in it.

15. SJH

SJH Minimodder

Usually buy the Telegraph, mainly because it's the only (broadsheet) paper with a crossword I can actually do :)

Last edited: 8 Jan 2009
  16. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

I read The Week every week. It comes every Friday, and it's a condensed version of the most relevant/interesting news stories from that week. Great if you don't have much time.

17. alastor

alastor Minimodder

Daily Mail

OK no don't do that. I quite like the Independent, always seem to go with slightly different stories to everyone else. It's not hugely elitist either.

18. identikit

identikit Minimodder

I've just got a 'News' tab on iGoogle with Google News, Sky News, BBC News World, BBC News UK, Reuters and Guardian News tabs. A quick glance every morning takes no time at all.

19. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

Last edited: 8 Jan 2009
  20. Freedom

Freedom Minimodder

Private eye if you really want to know the truth about whats going on.
    Then either the guardian or the independent. I would buy the Sun its amazing to read it so full of rubbish and lots of people do take what it says serous so i refuse to help it sell more copies.