1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 7 Public Beta News

Discussion in 'Software' started by icutebluezone, 8 Jan 2009.

1. icutebluezone

icutebluezone The meaning of life is to MOD

Works for me.

2. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

I think largely the way security was implemented (UAC).

Moron users wanted tight security but with the freedom to install anything, to click on any link in sight, no questions asked, just like XP. Finding they didn't have full admin rights, no password required, when they thought they had a right to those rights, upset these wannabe-admins. :waah::waah::waah: So they turned UAC off without understanding the system or looking at the alternatives.

Explorer was also confusing, with no-go "legacy" folders when 'show hidden files' was 'off'. I think that could have been handled better with shortcut jumps to the real folder.

3. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

The "7" site loads fine here but I see no beta links.

One of the guys at work that has access to our MSDN has already downloaded it and shoved it on his laptop and its pretty funky if quite mac like.

Some interesting things in it though like drag a window to the top of the screen and it auto-maximises. That would irritate the crap out of me though as I like to run windows close to the top edges but I have no interest in running them widescreen (like web browsing or MSN)

4. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

5. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

http://www.microsoft.com/uk/windows/windows-7/beta-download.aspx for UK but "The server is too busy" :wallbash:

I was debating sticking it on my spare Sempron 2600+/512Mb box but maybe not. :lol:

Last edited: 9 Jan 2009
  6. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Dear Microsoft,

Why don't you try BIT TORRENT, it's far more reliable for distributing 2.5 MILLION DOWNLOADS.

Kind Regards,
    Richard + Educated Public.

notatoad likes this.
  7. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

I was waiting for this, cause I was trying to go the legal route and not use torrents. Meh, time to head over to some trackers.

8. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

9. icutebluezone

LOL. You have to love the good old bit-torrents. :D

10. jhanlon303

Another update from M$.

"Thanks for your interest in the Windows 7 Beta. The volume has been phenomenal—we're in the process of adding more servers to handle the demand. We're sorry for the delay and we'll re-post the Beta as soon as we can ensure a quality download experience"

john

11. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

Yeah, I've been trying to DL it from technet since this am, but wasn't able to due to not having a technet+ membership. Now, it seems they're just swamped... and as John said, it appears they've taken it down temporarily. :(

12. clocker

clocker Shovel Ready

I was able to get both images (32/64 bit) with no trouble and fair speed (@350mb/s average) but wonder if there is a separate DL for the keys.
    This is all very confusing...you'd think MS could handle a scene like this in a more organized fashion.

13. jhanlon303

The blogs mention registering to get the keys. PITA all fool day.

john

14. ModMinded

@ Clocker
    this is from http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/subscriptions/dd180822.aspx

As announced at CES, TechNet Plus Subscribers have early access to the Windows 7 Beta! Download the Windows 7 Beta now from Subscriber Downloads. Product keys are not required for Beta download but are needed within 30 days of download. Anyone who did not receive a product key during their original download, simply need to return to the download site and click the “product key” tab to secure an individual product key.

EDIT:
    I wonder if this means that the "public" only gets the beta for the 30 day period, and you have to have a key to use it longer than that (which maybe they're offering only to MSDN or Technet+ members?)

Last edited: 10 Jan 2009
  15. icutebluezone

So when i final versions out is it going to cost llike $500? or more or free?

16. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

I've got a question for you guys.

The W7 blog says that the download only supports a Vista SP1 -> W7 upgrade.

Does this mean that I will no longer be able to use my vista during the beta period? and will I be able to get access to my files during the beta?

thanks.

17. ModMinded

I'm not sure about that, can you provide a link? I didn't see anything about it being an upgrade, what I was looking at was a full install dvd ISO.
    I'm not sure if you could access files if you are installing over the vista install (don't think so, and not recommended!) but if you have it as a dual boot, it should be able to access those depending on file security permissions. (It's still NTFS)

The only thing I saw was a warning to backup your MP3s before the install but that was referring to an update they released to prevent data corruption:
    http://www.mydigitallife.info/2009/...sues-in-wmp-12-with-kb961367-update-download/

18. jhanlon303

I have my original Vista SP1 restore disks - in case. I know paranois old git - but I've been burned before by M$.

If I ever acquire Win 7 i will let everyone know.

john

19. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

dunno what that really means....

20. clocker

clocker Shovel Ready

You can dual boot.
    What that describes is the direct upgrade from one OS to another, leaving all files and programs intact.
    A fresh dual-boot install is easily doable and leaves your current Vista install untouched.