1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 7 Public Beta News

Discussion in 'Software' started by icutebluezone, 8 Jan 2009.

1. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

:D

Yeah. I have no idea how much Lancs pay for the site, but every port on campus (an area ~1sq. mile) gets these speeds if the remote server supports it. Pity they assist the police in finding torrent users, really :(

Can you install Vista on 10Gb of space? I've literally crammed all my drives full, all I have left is some old spare 10Gb IDE.

2. overdosedelusion

overdosedelusion I mostly come at night, mostly..

I think it'll squeeze, but i doubt you could install ANYTHING on it.

3. clocker

clocker Shovel Ready

If you made a custom vLite install disk, sure.
    I think a standard install would bitch and moan...remember, Vista installs include a huge hibernation and page file by default.

4. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Got this running yesterday. Looks very good so far.

Still haven't got GTA IV to run on it, though. (will post a new thread on that later)

Incredibly fast install, and better multi-monitor support. They still haven't got the wallpaper thing on multi-display to work, though. (Pictures doesn't span over monitors in the physical order.)

5. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Might install this today if I get a bit of spare time, but I'm a tad worried about the reports of it corrupting mp3s. Of course I'll back up, but it'll be a pain if it happens.

6. alastor

alastor Minimodder

I miss living on campus :(

Ended up torrenting mine, think it finished overnight...will check when I drag myself out of bed.

7. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

One thing I noticed about the torrented vs the MS version was that the torrent install didn't ask for the product key. The MS install package did ask for a product key while installing.

8. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

9. ozstrike

ozstrike yip yip yip yip

Oh excellent. Is a gparted CD my best option for partitioning?

10. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

you can put in a partition strait from install (thats what I did anyways)

11. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

There is a torrent on TPB with the original ISOs from MS. He posted hashes of the ISOs and they were alright, someone re-checked and he agreed. So I think it's quite sure they're the same.

Will go to my girlfriend's house now and start downloading. Maybe not so great an idea to do that on mobile broadband and pay-as-you-go. :eyebrow:

12. DorkSterr

DorkSterr Hakuna Matata

Hey guys

I am about to do an upgrade from Vista 64Bit to Windows 7 64bit, my question is will I need to burn this .ISO file onto a single layer DVD (4.7GB)? or can I just use daemon tools and or any program to mount the image and install it like that? what will happen when my system restarts (as said in the installation process).

13. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

You can't use Daemon tools to install windows from, sadly. Unless you want to run it on a virtual machine, you have to burn the ISO to a DVD.

14. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

DorkSterr - burn it to a single layer dvd and install from within Windows using the upgrade option.

Let us all know how you get on with it :)

15. DorkSterr

DorkSterr Hakuna Matata

So let me get this straight, all I need to do is burn the single file (.ISO) onto a single 4.7 GB DVD with any burning software? And will be able to upgrade? What about the serial key? Is there no activation code since its a Beta?

16. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Did you read any of the posts? :p

You have to go to the MS Windows 7 website and grab a key after you logged into your Live account.

Or ask nicely and you shall be given a spare one from someone who already got them. ;)

17. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I just had Win7 bluescreen on me. :(

Playing a video in WMP made it crash. Still haven't figured out what caused it, though.

You can't mount it in daemon tools, as this is windows based. It's sort of like sawing of the branch you are sitting on.

Besides, Daemon tools doesn't work in Win7 anyway.

You have to burn the .ISO file as an image, and not just burn the file on a disk. most burning software sense that there is an image, and will at least ask you if you want to burn the file, or the image.

Just be sure that you know what you are doing if you are installing this on your primary computer. Some stuff simply won't work yet. And some programs work, but will need a bit of fiddling.

18. DorkSterr

DorkSterr Hakuna Matata

Thank you this is what I needed to read, I guess I'll just be waiting for the retail version to come out.

19. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Just a small update.

The bluescreen seems to be caused by network drivers. (WMP was streaming from a share when i got the BSOD)

Just updated the drivers. Hope it works now.

20. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Downloading 64-bit now, i will have to reinstall XP when my new board gets here, so i might try a dual boot of Win 7 and XP pro

Any good guides in doing such a thing? Back 15 years ago i had a piece of software, 'system manager' which jumped in before an OS booted allowing me to control the system. It was very good and i would love to know if there is any software still out there like this.

If my expierence with this beta is good, (allowing for beta issues) i might upgrade to a retail version asap.