1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Windows 7 Public Beta News

Discussion in 'Software' started by icutebluezone, 8 Jan 2009.

1. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

2. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

its a demo basically, everyone likes to try before they buy.

3. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Burnout: Windows has it's own bootloader/manager, it creates a boot.ini.

4. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

I remember the boot.ini trick, however i had a nice graphical boot manager, and i just had a hunt around on google and came up with a few ugly programs that look a tad out of date.

shame really as the Mac has some nice app's i think.

5. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Why do you need a graphical boot manager? You'll see it for about 1 second each time you start your computer. And all you do either pressing enter, or one arrow and enter. ;)

6. themax

themax What's a Dremel?

Anyone having any luck with running this in VMWare? I've installed it on my Virtual Machine but the limitations make it run like molasses right now (8gb max partition for it and my only having 3GB Ram doesn't help lol). I'de rather not dual boot with it but I may have too. So far though from what I played with in my VMWare it's not too shabby, but it still feels very much like Vista as far as I could tell, with some minor differences.

7. hodgy100

hodgy100 Minimodder

I have an old pc i'm gonna try this out on. (sempron 3000+ 1GB DDR RAM 20GB HDD)
    If it works on netbooks with an atom processor it should work ok on this!

I just have the problem of working out how to install it without using a dvd now

8. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

It works find on my sempron 3000+ (skt A barton) and 512mb of ram, so you should have no problems?

9. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Good grief, takes a while to do an upgrade install!

(Posted this on my iPod touch while waiting).

10. hodgy100

hodgy100 Minimodder

Nice to know :D although this is a socket 754 Palermo it should be roughly the same in performance :)

Now I just have to work out how to install it without a dvd :(

11. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Isn't USB stick install supported since Vista?

12. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

only took about 20min to do a clean install for me.

13. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

Yeah, I was impressed by how quickly it installed cleanly, too. Don't think it was 20min for me, but it was under an hour, I'd say.

@themax - What do you mean 8Gb? My install shows 15.9 gb (with updates installed.)

14. culley

culley What's a Dremel?

I've installed it and its running fine, 64bit version havevn't had any problems with drivers or applications not working yet except for Google Chrome.

There is supposed to be a work around by adding something at the end of the link target when you right click the shortcut on the desktop but it doesn't work for me.

I really im liking it, i like vista anyways but this is just an great improvement.

15. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Oooh, hmm...

The idea of a 32Gb pen drive with a full OS and apps on it is delectable, but would it still boot up correctly when plugged into other machines, or does windows develop hardware affinities? (I mean Windows generally, not just win7)

edit - wait, I just realised you meant installing the OS from a usb key, not onto one :wallbash:

16. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

After uninstalling Daemontools and Avira Antivir, I ran the upgrade in Vista HP 64. The migration tool/service timed out after 120k files were being converted! (before the first restart) I think this is the reason it took so long, as over 750,000 files needed to be migrated :)

After about 3 and a half hours (!!) it finally booted up properly and presented me with a familiar looking desktop with a different taskbar. By that time though, I was knackered and hit the hay. At least it boots up fine. It took an update and I also installed the mp3 fix straight off.

It also complained that the Vodafone broadband usb utility may not work and in the device manager the optiarc dvd drive has an exclamation mark but seems to work okay.

Laptop spec - e7250 iirc, 4GB DDR2, 8600GT, 320GB hdd.

Oh, AVG Free doesn't seem to work, either. It installs okay but won't launch properly. Anyone know if any free antivirus programs work in Windows7?

It would've been way quicker to backup and do a clean install, in hindsight.

17. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

Yes. :)

Though what you're talking about sounds very tempting. I wouldn't take a normal USB stick though, I'd rather take that eSATA ones that have been released quite recently.
    To answer your question though:
    I don't think you can transfer any Windows installation (at least not anything as 'new' as XP) from one computer to the other. Have you ever changed your CPU and/or MB without a clean Windows install? I found it quite a pain in the arse.

18. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Avast works fine here - at least it runs and updates OK.

Was surprised how light and quick the install was - about half an hour-ish, with around 12Gb space used. Had one bluescreen so far, but haven't rebooted into Win7 yet to find out what caused it.

19. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Your BSOD is probably because of a driver issue. For me on my laptop, the pre-beta nvidia drivers crashes when you scale tooo much (scale up/down/up/down/up/down) a window. Or move one too much. Luckily windows can restart it. Issue doesn't occur if Aero basic is used. (so no GPU rendered interface). So it confirms the drivers fault.

20. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

Well, only NT5.x and earlier NT based ones do the boot.ini trick, NT6 and later use a new one, "Windows Boot Manager" which is completely different. But it'll handle a dual boot fine with an older one (if the older one is installed first).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTLDR
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows_Boot_Manager