1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming Mirror's Edge PC

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 13 Jan 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. tominated

tominated What's a Dremel?

I have the 360 version and i agree on every aspect. I love the game, but it's just too short. btw: the xbox controls aren't that bad, it's only been a problem in one of the runs in the playground 2 time trial that i'm trying to do.

3. Evildead666

Evildead666 What's a Dremel?

I have a 4870 1Gb and a 8800GTS-320Mb.
    Would it be possible to use the 4870 for rendering, and the 8800GTS just for PhysX ...?
    Seeing as in the latest GeForce driver I should be able to set the 8800GTS to dedicated PhysX.....

Anyone tried....(no i haven't, don't have mirrors edge...)

4. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

I have only one problem with ME. Its so.... eh... white and clean, like those ultra bright toothpaste commercials that let you believe you get white shining teeth in just one day if you brush hard enough...

5. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Ooh, that looks epic. *buys*

6. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

Hmmm... not due out for a couple of months...

7. tanka12345

tanka12345 What's a Dremel?

I think the game looks quite good, but the physics by nVidia are weak in my opinion. In the demo videos showcasing the PhysX features there's coincidentally cloth everywhere (I mean everywhere :lol:) waiting to be torn apart, which looks fake.

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

From the videos I've seen, the cloth exists in the same places on the console version - which doesn't support PhysX. That's not to say they didn't plan ahead for the PC release when building the game, but I've never looked at the (indestructible) cloth and thought "that looks fake."

9. stoff3r

stoff3r What's a Dremel?

will the pc-version get the downloadable content that the 360 gets? I mean the speed-runs....

10. Redbeaver

Redbeaver The Other Red Meat

i want this game... but im not shelling $$ for a game less than 30hr gameplay.......

11. CardJoe

Should do, yes.

Also, from what I understand, there are two types of cloth in the game. In the non-physx game there are plenty of cloth flags and banners in the background where you can't interact with them and which do pre-rendered and set animations. In the Physx-enabled game there is cloth that is put in the level for you to interact with, such as the curtains seen in the review. They never really make a difference to the game, but they are there.

There's also non-cloth physx items, such as breaking glass and new physx objects such as chandeliers and destructibles.

12. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Sure am glad they delayed the game to get that in, I can't wait to go play with the curtains....

13. CardJoe

Sure, because they delayed it to add Physx - not to avoid piracy and turn a profit on the console version first to secure the success of the franchise.

14. Zogrim

Zogrim What's a Dremel?

And physics driven particles, such as fog, steam, sparks, debris from bullet impacts, etc

15. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I was under the impression this was a delay on top of the standard (above reason) pc comes later delay

16. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Page 5 para 3 - 'Really; we can’t stress enough how good the game is and how much we adore it. We love it enough to go and buy our own copies as soon as we get a chance, put it that way.' - add 'how' and 'a'.

I've not bothered with this game due to so-so reviews, but may very well grab it for PC now.

17. Anti-Hero

Anti-Hero What's a Dremel?

Redbeaver: Than you're probably not going to buy many games in the future, because very few games lately seem to have more than 15 hours of gameplay on average.
    Should wait for Diablo 3 than :p
    Maybe I'll buy this one when my dead graphics card gets replaced.
    Nice article, as always!

18. MonkeyNutZ

MonkeyNutZ Crysis Fiend

FYI, Mirrors Edge shipped to retail today and the rest of the world gets it the 16th. Plus DLC on the 29th for X360, PS3 and PC

19. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

That's kind of the point

There was cloth? I was too busy running around or fighting enemies to notice it.

I don't think this is quite true, sure there are several occasions where you are up against a room full of enemies, but if you're trying to go the no shooting route (which you should definitely be doing, makes it more fun and challenging) then using the terrain will allow you to take on enemies one at a time or allow you to sneak past them completely. There were several places where the enemies had their glowing red aura (which means you have to get through them) that I still managed to give them the slip. There are several occasions where there are enemies you have to avoid, like when you're in the storm drains trying to get to the top while also avoiding the snipers or a group of enemies come out of a lift and you vault over some walls to sneak behind them into the lift they came out of. It's not quite so black and white as FEAR is which is literally combat or horror with neither mixed together.

Last edited: 13 Jan 2009
  20. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

This site reckons it is released on 1st March(!).

But checking further, every other site agrees with the 16th....

Curious.