1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Microsoft launches 'tagging' app

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 13 Jan 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

Works nicely on my iphone (taking a blurry photo of my monitor!), although it has limited use really since it requires an internet connection to get your treats!

3. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Can Microsoft ever use/enhance an existing standard? The problem with QR codes is focal length on camera phones

4. p3n

p3n What's a Dremel?

They have done quite well tbh, the colours mixed with the orientation of the triangle allow for a really dodgy picture!

5. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

That's the issue that the new standard is designed to address: it seems to work from a much blurrier image than existing 2D barcode systems, so you don't need to have the tag in focus in order to get a successful scan.

6. Spiny

Spiny What's a Dremel?

O2 seem to disable the barcode scanner on nokia handsets in the UK too :(

7. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Considering QR codes are widely spread & used in Japan I don't quite understand why we don't have the support for it out here

8. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

I don't think they do.. my O2 Nokia N82 and N73 both have the barcode scanner. Update your firmware?

9. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

Much, MUCH quicker than QR on my Nokia N95 8GB - the camera hadn't even autofocused and I hadn't even finished framing the shot before it recognised the demo tag on the MS download site. I literally swung the camera towards the monitor and as soon as the whole tag (off-centre and off-axis, I'll add) was within the frame, it pinged up the MS site. Once again MS devises its own competing standard, but in this case, for once, it is significantly superior to the existing solutions. Well done Microsoft!

10. Shuriken

Shuriken same christmas AV for a whole year

Works on my O2 N95 as well, what phone do you have?

11. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

12. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I have one of them. I bypassed the encryption in hardware (really difficult to do - you cut a leg off the IC. Seriously.) and use it to catalogue my books with LibraryThing.

13. hitman012

hitman012 Minimodder

I just pointed my phone at the picture in the article, hit the button and it worked perfectly. Quite impressive.

14. quack

quack Minimodder

It's great that blurry/shaky pics are easier to read than QR or Datamatrix codes. I just tested it out on my iPhone, and N95.

I'd have to say it works better on the N95 than the iPhone... for one the image is clearer (the N95 camera is awesome), but it picks up on the barcode immediately without having to press anything.

15. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i don't get the point of this....

there's already an app called SnapTell on the iPhone that can tell you just from a book/DVD/music cover.

16. mclean007

mclean007 Officious Bystander

@quack - love your avatar mate. Think you're ahead of the curve - I sense tags as avatars is going to be something of a theme for the next wee while!

17. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

:hehe:

I guess he has a pretty valid point.

18. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Slow news day? woohoo a new barcode, lets break out the party hats and have a little dance shall we?

19. Gareth Halfacree

Love you too, sweetie. Personally I find this kind of technology fascinating, but perhaps that's just me.

20. quack

quack Minimodder

It wasn't all that long ago that I had a QR code avatar. I'm sure some people remember it. ;)

Tags: Add Tags