1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant I LOVE My Compaq

Discussion in 'General' started by sui_winbolo, 18 Jan 2009.

1. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

I've had my laptop for a couple of years, it's worked pretty good until these past months.

In September or so one day my wireless just stopped working! I didn't understand, I restarted my computer and then it worked again. But then the next day it didn't work again!

I was getting pretty peeved. So I had a conversation with HP and it turns out there's been a recall on a lot of HP & Compaq laptops. And that was one of the symptoms.

It came down to a faulty motherboard so they replaced that. I got it fixed free of charge and got it back within a week of sending it out. Not bad.

I should also note the same time around one of my RAM sticks went bad, so I had to do an RMA with Corsair at the same time. Wasn't that big of a deal, but was a pain in the butt.

Anyways today I restarted my laptop to get into my Windows 7 partition. I was watching TV and noticed my laptop did not turn back on! Good grief, what's wrong now?! :wallbash:

I tried several things, looked online to see what else I can do. Didn't tell me much. So I called into HP and 45 minutes later (after being hung up on mind you! HAH) they're going to send me another cardboard coffin.

I look online and found the page about the recall. Laptop not turning on is one of the other problems!

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?docname=c01087277&lc=en&cc=us

So this would be my 3rd motherboard in this laptop, awesome!! :duh:

Anyone else have problems with their HP or Compaq?

Oh, right now I'm on my old desktop. I had to grab an old CRT from the basement and haul it up to my room to use. Oh the joy in my life! lol

Edit: My eyes are really tired and sore, wow, I had no idea CRTs have this effect on me. I also feel a headache coming on. >_<

Last edited: 18 Jan 2009
  2. Volund

Volund Am I supposed to care?

At least they keep replacing them :p

3. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

I've never had anything but bad experiences from both companies.

4. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

My compaq tower caught fire once. Transistor shorted and lit a capacitor a light which in turn lit other things. thankfully the PC was damaged which allowed me to start upgrading.

5. AFX

AFX "Bling" Silver Mountain 2

I read that windows 7 has problems comming out of sleep mode or stand by.

6. Lithium

Lithium super spunk

Had my Compaq lappy for about 5 years now. Been really reliable until now. Freezes when playing back video and hangup in general quite a lot. Also powers it self down at least 4-5 times a day.

Duff RAM ya think?

7. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

This is most definitely not a software problem! lol

And yeah, I mean it's free, but that's because of the shoddy motherboard they put into these things.

That or maybe shoddy cooling if it's related to that, like how the 360 gets hardware failure.

8. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Lots of dust in the fan me think. ;)

9. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I don't know for how long you had your laptop, but usually the life span of such machine is 3-4 years. After that point things starts to fail.

10. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I've had a Compaq X1000 laptop for around 6 years and it has yet to miss a beat. The battery still gives around 3-4 hours as well, which is bewildering.

11. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

You can't really compare a 6 year old model with todays models. "Back then" computers were expensive, and was meant to last a bit. Today they are built to have good specs at the lowest price possible.

I would say that almost all consumer laptops sucks. If you want quality, then go for business models. The do however cost significantly more for the same specs. A few years ago there wasn't much difference between business and consumer products, which meant that overall quality was better.

That's what we get for being greedy ;)

12. julianmartin

julianmartin resident cyborg.

Sucky indeed....but at least they are fixing it (albeit again) so long after you bought it..

13. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

I've had it since August 2007. First problem happened just after a year of owning it. :sigh:

I plan on getting an Acer One just in case this happens again, and because I really like them. :D

14. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

Have you got the refresh rate set too low? They are a lot more comfortable with high refresh rates.
    And that is seriously unlucky with your laptop.

15. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

I've got a few problems with my HP laptop atm- mostly to do with it randomly switching off for no reason. Thankfully I bought it from John Lewis and so have a 2 year warranty- 10 months of which are still left.

16. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

It's 3 and a half years, we got them at the same time :)

Never had an issue with mine, in use every day and never faltered once.
    Although I have opened it up about 3 times in the 3 years to clear out the dust build up from the air intakes.

17. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

It's at 60hz, and that's about all it can do. It's not a bad monitor, just not high quality.

However, my eyes have adjusted to it.

Ugh, yeah tell me about it! I treat my laptop great too. :(

18. GoodBytes

60Hz CRT monitor is an abysimal monitors.
    At 1280x1024 a 17/19inch CRT good monitor should do 85Hz, high-end should be able to do 100-150Hz (looks like a peace of paper) easy with such resolution.

My CRT 17inch, which is what I use on my system (see signature (btw, still looks awesome design and picture quality, I am truly impressed by NEC)) does 1600x1200 at 80Hz, or 1280x1024 at 85Hz.

For my monitor I choose the path for better color accuracy rather than refresh rate. Best 350$ I ever spent, and massacres the best LCD out there in picture quality.

Last edited: 18 Jan 2009
  19. mrbungle

mrbungle Undercooked chicken giver

Oh and don't get a Acer lappy, they are pretty much the cheapest and nastiest laptops going.

Dell, IBM or Toshiba would be a good start.

20. GoodBytes

Try Dell business machines.
    They are solid, great features. Also the machine comes clean, no crap ware. The maximum you can get is Roxio and PowerDVD which are easy to remove. Dell software is unified (so no 20 exe to make the buttons work), and fairly light compared to other machines. Machine comes with Vista disk (well Dell disk, no activation of Windows required or product key during install, and has Dell logo in system properties, but that is all, not even the machine drivers are included on the disk (they are on a separate disk).)

Yes, Acer machine are quiet cheap. I looked the ones in stores, and I feel they will brake if I touch them.