1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Storage My new toy : HP ml370 server

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by g3n3tiX, 17 Jan 2009.

1. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Minimodder

*deleted*

Last edited: 13 Nov 2017
  2. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

Nice piece of kit :)

I'd say that's begging to get some sort of water cooling loop put in to make it nice and quiet. Might be worth keeping an eye out for a 2nd CPU and some more RAM to make it into a beast of a server.

Another option would be to try to get some sort of custom air cooling in there, perhaps a couple of cpu coolers that can take 120mm fans. I guess it depends on the mounts round the cpu sockets. Also by the looks of it the cpu's have power regulations cards that sit next to the cpu sockets making air cooling more challenging.

Last edited: 18 Jan 2009
  3. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

Sweet thats the server we have at work. Or better 5 of them. :D

AFAIK really good server. And for that price a dream

4. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

As a stop gap, replace the fans with something less powerful, but block the port for the 2nd cpu to force all the air through the one heatsink. That should make it a lot quieter but still have enough cooling ability. Then it's just a matter of modding some 120s in there somehow instead.

5. identikit

identikit Minimodder

Looks like you'll need a VRM for that second CPU though.

6. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

For 40 € that's a true no-brainer, I wish I would find such deal!

Funny though, from the Topic I thought I'd find a cute little NAS-box inside :D One of the new little HP-things you know..

7. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

We have an HP ProLiant ML350 G3 at work. We installed Win2k3, 4GB RAM and 1.5Tb drive space to act as a web server. It houses network drivers, the Intranet and parts of our external website.

8. identikit

identikit Minimodder

Solder some resistors into the fan wires?

9. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Can you not fiddle in the BIOS to stop it alarming on fan fail for a few of them? Maybe not CPU, but other ones?

Either way, sweet stuff. I'm jealous! :p

10. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

I'm going to guess the system uses a BMC for power management and fan control. This would explain the ability to handle remote power on, as that's part of the IPMI spec.

If it is the BMC, then there isn't too much the BIOS can do, but that does not mean you are out of options. My first suggestion would be to look for updated BMC firmware and the latest SDR (senor data records) package or whatever HP calls it.

If that doesn't help, the SDR file may be a plain text file that you might be able to fiddle with along with the IPMI spec to change the throtting behavior of the fans. I can't suggest more than that, I've only just decided I should start learning IPMI myself.

you could try a different HSF. Those fans are meant to cool the entire system, and you can probally keep things under control just by spot cooling the chips that get hot. Just be careful of the PSU. If it depends on the main chassis fans for cooling, you will need to figure out how to keep it cool too.
    The extra chips and PSU issues might be an issue with water cooling without some fiddling. In either case, the BMC probally won't be happy because the system cooling no longermatched the profile it has, but I don't think it will do more than maybe flash a warning light and record the errors in its log.

There might also be more buried in the web server you can work with. as well.

11. Splynncryth

It looks like the ILO tech is based around IPMI.
    Take a look at these:
    remote console&power
    remoe system health monitoring

So it looks a bit similar.
    look here for firmware updates. I think that't the correct model of the ML370.

All in all, it looks like a very nice find.

12. Splynncryth

The pics I posted are for a different brand of server, I just wanted to illustrate the functionality.
    I don't have any HDD caddies/rails for an HP, but I can look to see if I still have any 9.8GB SCA connector SCSI dries around. I don't know how bad the shipping to Europe would be though, so you might be better off holding out for a source on the same continent :)