1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays Apple 24 inch with PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Asulc, 19 Jan 2009.

1. Asulc

Asulc Minimodder

Can the Apple 24 inch LED display be used with a pc? I am looking to upgrade my monitor and what high quality. I also love the looks of the monitor.

2. tominated

tominated What's a Dremel?

you'll have to wait until mini-displayport becomes more common, then you might be able to find an adaptor

3. Asulc

Asulc Minimodder

Is there any monitor that is similar in looks and quality that would work with pc?

4. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

5. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

wtf? they didn't put any inputs on this monitor other than mini displayport? how retarded is that.

go for a dell fpw240x or the benq fp241. even if you get an adapter for DVI to mini-displayport, you'll probably still want a VGA or HDMI or component input at some point. and the apple monitor might look nice in product shots or in the store, but it has a glossy front which is a real pain to actually use for any work. definitely a case of form over function.

6. Firehed

Firehed Why not? I own a domain to match.

Apple makes a Mini DisplayPort-to-DVI adapter. $29. Though looking at it again, that might be the reverse of what you need (MDP computer to DVI monitor, not DVI socket to MDP monitor).

As far as looks goes, it's hard to beat the Apple monitors. I've always liked the Dells and have had good luck with them, but they certainly lack that nice Apple look. If/when I rig up my insane quad-screen madness, I'll probably get three more 24" dells (and before you ask, yes I would use that much screen real estate)

7. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

If you want a professional level screen using an 8-bit panel, you can check out this Japanese company called EIZO. Now their market are, and only are professionals, so design of the product is not the main focus, the screen are one of the bests you can find, better or just as good as the high-end of NEC.

This is what they are coming up with:
    http://www.electronista.com/articles/09/01/15/eizo.s2232w.and.s2242w/
    16.77 million colors and 5 year warranty, so you know it won't let you go for 5 years. :)
    However, for the price of that 1 screen you can get dual monitor from a standard Samsung 6-bit panel monitor. So it's quiet an investment.

What's the difference between 6 and 8bit colored panel:
    6 bit panels can display 262k colors, the other 16 million colors, is simulated using a process called dithering, hence why they are referred to as being able to show 16.7 million (or 16.2 million) colors.

Last edited: 19 Jan 2009
  8. oasked

oasked Stuck in (better) mud

The Dell mentioned above is an 8-bit panel. AFAIK its the same quality, if not better than the Apple monitor that you mentioned.

Considering that its a lot cheaper and it has many more inputs, it should really be a no-brainer.

9. Asulc

Asulc Minimodder

What samsung screen would you recommend? I keep hearing good things about them...

10. Jasio

Jasio Made in Canada

Many companies, including Dell use Samsung/LG Philips/AU Optronics/Chunghwa Picture Tube panels regardless of what sticker/design you pay for. So apart from the fruity looks the Apple is no different than anyone else -- of course, you pay an unnecessary premium with Apple. Heck you can get an IPS panel for $800~ which is superior in every way to TN+Film.