1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SketchUp The MNPCTech Case Design Competition, part II: Scratch Build

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Xtrafresh, 14 Jan 2009.

?

This thread is made of pure:

1. Win

13.7%
  2. Win

14.7%
  3. Win

17.6%
  4. Epic design Win!

51.0%
  5. Cheesecake

55.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Kylevdm

Kylevdm The Mod Zoo Podcast Host

Ideas are easy! it is the implementation that counts

2. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

don't the rules say rendered pics arent even allowed to be posted in this thread at all?

3. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Its any CAD program me thinks this time. I'm sure I argued enough.

4. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

you can use any 3d program. You just can't post renders.

edit: mankz beat me.

5. Kylevdm

fixed...

6. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

:thumb:

I'll start posting mine as soon as i figure out what kind of foot to give it :lol:
    Here's a few pics that i had left from the last thread:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Kylevdm

That would look really cool with an invisible foot maybe 10mm acrylic maybe even some alu designs :p

8. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Kick*ss stuff.:D

I think the 'no render' rule is a little flawed, technically everything posted here is rendered.

OK...I can at least tell Mankz's one is a table, but what the hell, Kyledvm?!? Bellows-powered cooling?

Last edited: 20 Jan 2009
  9. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

i is teh fail: im totally out of ideas! i was hoping for another podium finish but not at this rate

10. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

I'm beginning to wonder if my tiny design will surpass a lot of these. I've decided to break the PSU dimensions barrier and do what I want. Updates soon enough.

11. Xtrafresh

Thanks! I was thinking along the same lines. I'm currently drawing a flat foot with very thin structural parts going upwards to the main body. The whole idea is to really suspend the "computing" unit, while putting all user interactions in the foot. This includes: DVD, on/off, USB and cablerouting down the back. My problem is obviously to keep all that as light on the eyes as possible between the two units.
    I'm a bit devided between 3 different plans at the moment...
    1: two or three plexiglass tubes (max 3cm outer diameter) supporting the weight, with all cables inside.
    2: of the 5 aluminium panels in the above pictures, i'll extend numbers 2 and 4 to form a foot with some flowing lines in accordance to the lines of the rest of the case. I havent worked out the lines of the foot quite yet though...
    3: use a large number of thin alu bars (2mm) in some sort of "towbridge" construction to balance and support the weight. The goal will be to put all of them in the back, and create the illusion of a case that's not properly supported.

I'll mock up those three designs, so you guys can judge on aesthetics, structural integrity, "floatiness", design concistency and cable management options. :D

everyone knows very well what is meant by the rule, and the one true render that was posted was quickly corrected. Now quit your whining ;)

If you want ideas, just hail me in PM, i got loads of little ideas wiggling around that could be a good basis for some sketching. I cant imagine this contest without the most productive participant from part I :D

Aww! I liked the idea, it was different from all others! Diversity is what we wanna see! :clap:
    Also, by being unique you could be in a very good position to win, since you are not directly competing for votes with all the "superslick" designs :p

12. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

WOW there is some amazingly good designs coming out! started to get to grips with SU a bit more now and heres a peek at what I'm working with now :D

[​IMG]

13. Cheapskate

Nice one Editor, but I'd be scared of people looking to refill their drinks with it.:D
    @stuartwood - Go crazy!!!!
    @Confusis - Just spend a few minutes thinking about what it would take to freak out airport security, and you will have a new case design.:D Other activities to get an idea going would be building on a theme or key word. Steam, heavy, thin, short, funk, dangerous, cold, blade...
    Atomic Tarantula...
    [​IMG]
    The more intersects I do, the more mangled the parts become... It takes 5 seconds to select a line in the full model.:hehe: I'm SO headed for crash city.

14. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

lol I had'nt thought of that! maybe ill just add an ice dispenser on the side and be done with it :rock:

yours is coming along mate rather you than me with those curves though :jawdrop:

15. Cheapskate

Thanks. I was thinking beer tap. Add a keg cooler and you'd have the perfect gaming machine. The Gin Idea was close, but you'd have to stop shooting things to mix and pour.
    -Yeah.. All the dark spots are corrupted areas.

16. Kylevdm

am having that problem on my design. it has 6 curves all curving into other curves which then go into a final curve... it is annoying me!!!!

17. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

lol well if theres no size restrictions maybe ill have a go at modding this for the comp :dremel:

[​IMG]

18. Sir Digby

Sir Digby The Supprising Adventures

@Cheapskate - for some reason I keep imagining your case coming alive almost like Andross in Star Fox, perhaps only connect the feet at the back of the case to continue this image - like the turantula is coming alive?

Actually :worried: do the cases have to be mechanically possible?

19. Xtrafresh

no they dont, i really dont have time to bicker endlessly about wether someone should be excluded from the competition because the legs are 10% too thin, nor do i feel like it ;)

On the other hand, i really think that a certain amount of realism can only add to the overall score of a design. If you make a really insane idea actually work, to the point where i'm starting to feel like going to the nearest DIY and picking up materials, THAT is when you start getting my vote ;)

mvagusta likes this.
  20. Sir Digby

Sir Digby The Supprising Adventures

Ah right, fair enough - so nothing floating in mid-air then :hehe: