1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Motors I'm building my own car... UPDATE - Stoneliegh 2013

Discussion in 'General' started by GreatOldOne, 8 Sep 2005.

1. Brooxy

Brooxy Loser of the Game

Looking and sounding good GOO. If I had the space / time / money to do something like this....

2. Spyrious

Spyrious Modding all the Time

Incredible work.The engine sounds like a v8.Best wishes to complete your work.

3. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

After reading this entire thread, i hate you op.

4. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

5. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

Just don't be the guy that builds the car indoors and can't get it out of the house until you tear a wall out.

6. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

..I really envy you, what with the general know-how and skill to put this together, and on top of that have it sound nice.

7. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

It's in a garage. So yeah, it'll come out. :p

8. seanblee

seanblee What's a Dremel?

Just spent the last 2 or 3 hours reading this - simply epic, brilliant attention to detail, and it sounds amazing with no exhaust - hopefully the Marlin system won't mute it too much! Subscribed :)

9. Slink

Slink B7

this has came on loads since i was last about, well done mate you've done well.

10. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

EPIC!

I vaguely remember where you live so you better keep that garage locked :p ;)

11. GreatOldOne

Oooo - Shiney!

My instruments arrived today from ETB. Links, as even though I've resized them they're still big:

http://www.greatoldone.co.uk/SportsterPics/all_clocks.jpg
    http://www.greatoldone.co.uk/SportsterPics/speedo.jpg
    http://www.greatoldone.co.uk/SportsterPics/tacho.jpg
    http://www.greatoldone.co.uk/SportsterPics/fuel_oil.jpg
    http://www.greatoldone.co.uk/SportsterPics/volt_water.jpg

The speedo & tacho are both 100mm, and have a plastic case, with two plug / clip in light bulbs for illumination each.

The fuel, oil, water and volt meter gauges are 52mm and have a metal case. They have built in bulb holders.

They look and feel very well made - the fact that the larger instruments are plastic cased doesn't detract from the overall quality of them.

I've already been out in the garage fitting the oil pressure and water senders. :)

12. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

Nice, can't believe that the big ones are plastic. they look as if they will be a perfect fit with the style of your car.

13. customh

customh conflagration.

Why not Stuart-Warner GOO?

14. speedfreek

speedfreek What's a Dremel?

GOO, it lives. It finally lives! Congrats to you for bringing it to life finally, after this there are only finishing touches left in my mind. Your so close now.

15. GreatOldOne

I guess you meant Stewart Warner?

Because they're based in the States, I'm not - and they don't have a UK distributor. That, and tbh, I've never heard of them. I'm assuming that they must be the obvious 'period look' option over there. Here it would be Smiths or Jaeger.

The other big incentive is these cost 2/3rd the amount of a comparable set of Smiths replicas, with the senders. They also didn't have a huge build time and came with SVA / IVA compliant bezels (they need to be half rounds of a certain radius to pass) out of the box, rather needing to retrofit them.

16. customh

customh conflagration.

*feels stupid for misspelling....
    Yes they are the period-correct thing. Especially in the Cobra kit-car-replicas.

17. GreatOldOne

Here's a sneak peak at what I've been up to over the last couple of days.

I've been playing around with the dash layout, mocking it up in Visio. (I bet the guys who developed Visio didn't realise it's uses as an automaotive design tool :))

I first tried this - Layout A - but unfortunately there wasn't enough room for a symmetrical layout as I definitely wanted the two main instruments in the middle of the dash. So I've pumped for this - Layout B as it still gives me the central location for the Tacho and Speedo, and I can still clearly see the others as they arent obscured by the wheel.

I've printed it out full size, and stuck them to the dash.
    [​IMG]

From left to right:

Water temp, Oil Presure, Speedo, Shift Light, Tacho
    Coolant Level Warning, Radiator Fan Warning, Low Fuel Warning, Oil Pressure Warning
    Voltmeter, Fuel Level, Hazard Warning Light

[​IMG]

Warning lamps above steering column, left to right:
    Left Turn, Side Lights / Dip Beam, Main Beam, Driving Lamps, Right Turn
    Ignition Warning, Handbrake Warning, Rear Fog

I think it works... I'm thinking of shaping the area below the main gauges to allow a bit better access to the heater controls below. I'm also planning on shaping the dash here:

[​IMG]

To allow easier access to the ignition switch. I think it needs to be a bit more of a flowing curve though....

18. seanblee

seanblee What's a Dremel?

Looks good - strictly, sidelights should be green, not blue, and I think the same applies to auxiliary lights (the only one supposed to be blue is main beam), but I'm not sure you need that to be correct to get SVA.

19. GreatOldOne

Yes, according to the SVA / IVA manual, you're correct. But is says for "guidence only" - and it seems that no one sells a sidelight lamp in green! (at least, not the ones I know of, or have googled for).

If the worst comes to the worst, and the SVA man says no, I'll swap it out and the driving lamp one for a green lamps and try and label them some how.

20. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

No offence GOO, but I'm not a fan of that layout. Could you not have the speedo and tacho above the wheel? Keep the other indicators and gauges where they are, and have the array of lights underneath them?

Loving the mockup skills though. :D

mvagusta likes this.