1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Planning What would you do with this?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by ModMinded, 20 Jan 2009.

1. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

As you might know from reading my log, or have gathered from my avatar, I tend to pick up stuff I see on the street.
    Tonight I saw a couple somethings a few blocks away that I just had to throw in the car and bring home.

I have one definite purpose for this:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

It's going to be my new router table v.02 :dremel:
    I also wanted it for the drawer slide hardware, and actually the drawers appear new like.
    Once of the castors had broken out of the bottom particle board, so it was lopsided and also has a pretty loose and wobbly frame... Easy to fix and improve upon for my purposes.

Now this other score seems full of possiblities and I'd love to hear your ideas and also best guess or knowledge of what it was originally! :lol:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

All else fails I can cannibalize it for bolts and construction raw material. :)
    The holes are at weird angles (not through both sides of the rod) and the feet stick out pretty far.

It could be a cool radiator/ reservior holder for external WC, or a drive tower, or even a whole case with the right size mobo and some plexi. That's all I could think of for now, but I'd love to see what your brains forment!

Edit- also, the bottom looks like it could be rearranged making it a rectangle with 2 stubby feet poking out the same side.
    ...go Nuts!
    /edit

Oh, and I think it's some sort of display stand, despite the fact that half the holes point in.

Last edited: 20 Jan 2009
  2. CobraMods

CobraMods Gettin there slowly

i say cut the top 2 feet and make it into one hell of a heavy duty case =o)~
    between the chrome frome you would be left with you could make plexi inserts for the side panels so you have the nice contrast between color and chrome and think of all the wiring you could hide in the frame rails themselves.
    get the hack saw out!! lol

ModMinded likes this.
  3. ModMinded

Man you're up late :D

Good idea, I forgot about the wiring hiding abilities!

4. CobraMods

CobraMods Gettin there slowly

lol 9 am here bud.. remember i am in the UK till 2012, then back to the states where i go back on "normal time" lol

5. ModMinded

:duh:
    for some reason I thought you were in the midwest US... oops...
    get back to work!

6. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

That chrome thing looks alot like one of the many display stands i've been tortured with, like for girls clothes and stuff like that.

7. highgeere

highgeere Not quite there.

I have one of those. It's a clothes stand, like from a shop, but it's missing the pieces that stick out of the top and actually hold the clothes. They are shaped like a 7, and have knobs on them for hangers

I wanted to cut mine up and use it for a case or something, but it was too rusty.

Last edited: 20 Jan 2009
  8. identikit

identikit Minimodder

Reminds me of a Beowulf cluster I saw ages ago. The layout went like this

[​IMG]

Yellow is the central cable management and cooling. 4 dual CPU systems per level on some simple home-made aluminium motherboard trays, I forget how many levels there were in the cluster though.

9. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Put a neon tube light in it, cover it with frosted plexi, and you have a nice lamp. It's a little big for a computer.

10. ModMinded

Thanks for the Identification and ideas, guys.
    I don't have enough hardware for a crazy cluster (nor a real need.)
    It is pretty big, but I could chop it down a bit, or just cram a lot of crap in there.
    I'm leaning towards (future) DIY water cooling setup at the moment... that or a wood/materials storage solution for my garage!

11. mvagusta

You can tell when you have spent too much time around computers when clothes racks remind you of a beowulf cluster, and you can tell that you have spent too much time in the friendzone when you cringe at the sight of a clothes rack.

12. ModMinded

lol!
    What's a friendzone? Is that like a clothing store or mall?

13. mvagusta

LMAO :hehe:

A friendzone is when one of the places you work at for free is the clothing stores and the malls!!!

The friendzone is when you think that you are being the Relix, which will get you the cheescake, but you are not the relix and you only dream about the cheesecake!!!

linky

14. ModMinded

Whoah Nelly! Ah... that friendzone... I am well aware of the friendzone as linked (thx), but either you've lost it, or I haven't had enough sleep... I hear Relix chanting "the cheesecake is a lie" in my left ear... and a slight ringing in the right. :duh:

15. Sir Digby

Sir Digby The Supprising Adventures

Oh! :idea: with the clothes rack maybe make a mini-itx cluster with the boards inside the cuboid section - or put a 4 mini-itx gaming systems in there and put a desk round the outside for an instant LAN party?

16. Splynncryth

Splynncryth 0x665E3FF6,0x46CC,...

Use the steand to make a tree themes computer case. I'm thinking a palm tree. You could have a resivoir in the bottom for balance. I'm not sure about the mobo, but drives could be further up the 'trunk'. I'm strill trying to think of what you could do with 'coconuts'. There has to be something they would be useful for.

17. ModMinded

Instant LAN, sweet!

I really like this Tree idea... you're on to something...
    Res in the bottom for weight and balance. Should a pump be placed above or below the res or does it matter? I'd like to make a res as basically a large pump top.
    Mobo in the trunk with wires managed inside a tube arm
    Hole in the trunk for wireless keyboard storage
    Coconut cut for hiding a wireless mouse charging station (fiberglass molds?)
    Slot load drive in the trunk
    power wires out the root (maybe integrated surge strip?)
    Monitor mount arm as branch?