1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PSU Why the hell does my computer use up so much power?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MrWillyWonka, 22 Jan 2009.

1. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

My parents got their electricity bill the other day and it was ridiculously high. I know electricity is expensive now but it was still too high for our liking.

After studying the power meter, at an average time (with two computers plus server on), TV and sky on as well as the fridges and freezers and kettle etc. One meter spin takes 12.5 seconds. Turn my computer off and it takes 23 seconds to do one spin. One spin is 4W.

The point is that my computer uses up almost half the power in the house and my maths show that it is sucking up 489W an hour on idle.

I've double checked my maths and it seems that is the figure and it seems far too high on idle. Specs in my sig, surely it shouldn't be that high?

2. Infection

Infection Gaming Fanatic

I believe the 8800 GTS draws something like 140w of power at idle doubling that to 240w for SLI and thats almost half of the power your computer is using, now consider that the Q6600 at idle has been known to use as much as 50w of electricity and that may be why your experiencing extremely high energy costs.

CPU and Video Cards suck up a lot of power now, it's just something to get used to, or upgrade to more energy efficient hardware, like 45nm Processors, etc. Try the same thing with the server and check if it increases the time it takes for the meter to do a full cycle.

1) Upgrade to a 45nm processor
    2) Upgrade to a single Video Card

3. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Link - may help track how much it's using?

At a guess, it's the SLI-ness. How many Raptors are in there?

4. tank_rider

tank_rider What's a Dremel?

I very much doubt your pc uses over 400w even at full load! What monitor and other periferals do you have attached?

Edit, didn't see that the gfx were sli

What is your power supply?

5. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

use riva tuner and set up profiles for gaming and desktop, then underclock your gpus when you're not gaming, that should save you a good few Watts

6. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

just buy a gtx260 or gtx285, those new GT200 chips have very good idle power consumptions.

a idling computer should use no more than 200w.

7. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Get down to mappers and get a plug in watt meter and find out if its the computer the monitor etc. My machine only draws ~150w at a medium load, thats a a64x2 4400 with a 8800gts and a single hd. Your machine whist vastly more powerful shouldn't draw that much more current. Unless i've under estimated those raptors....

8. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

i had my Quad up at 3.6GHz, running night and day and when i poked my head into the electric metre cabinate and saw the little disc spinning around like a nutter it explained everything.

I also was running a 2Kw electric heater to warm my office, now it goes on to warm the room for an hour and gets switched off! lol!

9. Rapp

Rapp Minimodder

I tested out my old computer the other day and found that it was using 20W when its turned off which isn't really very good at all.

But now its gone for the ultimate power saving option by blowing up this evening

10. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

I know I shouldn't laugh, but that is just brilliant :)
    I do feel for you though.

11. Infection

Infection Gaming Fanatic

To be exact an idling GTX 260 (Core 216), Not overclocked in any way shape or form uses around 119w of power. The GTX 285 uses 194w of power while idling which is roughly 54w higher then a single 8800 GTS.

Idle Temps (Not including 285)
    [​IMG]

This is one of the pluses I experience in an Apartment, I don't pay for my Hydro (Electricity, Water, etc) it's all included in the monthly rent amount so I can basically do as I please with my Computer Hardware.

12. Rapp

Rapp Minimodder

it did come as a bit of a shock when it blew and tripped the circuit breakers in the house, just glad that I've got a laptop otherwise it would be a real pain as I've got an exam and coursework due in for uni in the morning.

starting to see the funny side of it now, it was over 5 years old and I was going to be upgrading to a new i7 machine at the end of the month so I guess I will just have to speed my plans up a bit.

13. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

That graph is full system draw, no?

14. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Well, as has been mentioned before neither CPU or graphics in a SLI configuration are on the "light" side powerwise. If you overclock these components the relative power draw will be even higher. I guess the Q6600 hasn't SpeedStep enabled either.

They call them "high-powered rigs" for a reason... :)

15. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

That same article says that the 194W is Whole-system.

These figures were also mentioned for that GTX285:
    Most power consumption graphs will be full-system and just a comparison between changing one component.

It depends on whether Wonka's got G80 GTS's or G92 GTS's.
    The G80's would be more power hungry I expect. Whether it all adds up to 400W is another story...

16. wgy

wgy What's a Dremel?

as far as the graphics card goes, im not sure if the 8800gts draws 140 watt idle.

my PSU with a watts viewer reads 103 on idle, never over 150 load.. 103 for the WHOLE machine. SLI and Quad would boost the numbers up, but your number seems oddly high...

bit off topic...but, could a old or dying PSU give a less efficent preformace?

17. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

you do realise it's WHOLE system draw?? :duh:

which brings back to my point of single card configuration shouldn't go over 200w idle. only if you try really hard with a heavily over-volted CPU.

18. EnglishLion

EnglishLion working for the good of mankind...

Just minimise the amount of time it spends idling by having it go into standby (sleep) after a couple of minutes. If you want a truer reading of the PCs power consumption from the mains you can get plugs from maplins like this that do it for you.

http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=38343

I've got that one myself. When I first got it I went OTT and measured everything. Boy, do kettles draw power - but only for shorter periods though. I haven't got round to measuring my fish tank yet though - dread to think what that draws 24/7 ....

19. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Well, that's 3 posts recommending the Maplins Watt Meter!

I think I may get one myself!

20. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I'm guessing it's the G80 version, the only cards that i know that Draws that much power is the HD4870X2 and the GTX 295(which is relatively low on idle anyways.)