1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project: Lumière Noire by E.E.L. Ambiense - Completed

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by E.E.L. Ambiense, 8 Apr 2008.

1. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Switch the new one for the "haunted" drive (lol). Repackage it and take it back for a refund saying you didn't need it after all. CHEAT THE SYSTEM lol.

Last edited: 26 Jan 2009
  2. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

LOL. Just wait until I give the explanation! ;)

3. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Waiting [​IMG] [​IMG]

john

4. E.E.L. Ambiense

Jan. 22nd - Quick Update!

You know that point of frustration where you're at your wits-end and you're no longer thinking logically and you're just looking for anything to fix the dilemma? That point where you feel like Chevy Chase in Christmas Vacation where his character can't figure out why the x-mas lights are out and he flips out and holds both ends of the power conduit and yells as he smashes them together and they finally cascade and explode into wonderful light because it's finally working? Yeah, that run-on sentence is basically what has been plaguing me since the last update. Let me go into a bit more detail here. *sighs* :grr:

Okay, I had an issue with the original DVD-R lappy drive stopped working. I then get it work. Then it stops working again. I try a different cord. Same problem. I try in a different system. Same problem. I get a replacement drive of a completely different make. I try the original connected to another system again, and it works. Then the new one. It works fine....for a while, then it does the same thing. So I got through all this crap again, and finally came to the conclusion that it must be the lappy IDE-to-SATA board being finicky or something. Only other choice...you guessed it, IDE. So, I then embark on a journey to find a long black rounded IDE cable that's only for a single-device. I figured it'd be a cakewalk to locate something, right? Wow, was I ever wrong. Anyways, finally tracked down a 36" 1-device black rounded IDE cable. I get that today, by the way. So this evening I proceeded to tear out everything and re-install it all, with the IDE cable and the original lappy-IDE-to-desktop IDE converter board. I start the system up to test when it's all hanging out....--and the system doesn't see the drive. Argh! I proceeded to flip out and vibrate with utter sputtering anger, until I realize that getting angry only makes me more stupid. It's a scientific fact that the brain secretes an enzyme that temporarily lowers one's IQ when angry. Or in my case, permanently. :hehe: So I find the other converter board just like the one installed on the new lappy burner....and I get to looking at it.... they're supposed to be the same bloody unit, but I notice that one pinout is missing on the lower-row of pins on one, and it's reversed on the other (that I'm not using yet). I was like, "wtf?" So I proceed to swap the two out...and what do you know...the damn system reads the drive perfect. So I start to put stuff back together after feeling a bit better and calming down, and I'm totally paranoid at this point. I keep re-checking after restarting the rig to make sure it's still there. Not some vaporous thing that likes to mock and maim like the system seems to like to do to it's creator already! :hehe:

Anyways, everything seems to be okay for now. I hope. So I started to really button up the rig after cleaning up some stuff in it, and dusting. I finally wrapped hose-coils around the last bit of hosing in the back, even though you can't really see it. I knew it was there, so it bothered me. :hehe: Also installed both panels. It's funny; I hadn't looked at the window panel since I put it together all that time ago. The acrylic's been through two incarnations of these rigs already and it still looks great. Just needs a polishing with some Novus cleanser, but it's fine. I really love the look too; the stealthed 'nothing here' look, until you start the system up. ;)

I really need to polish the outside of the rig though, because it's been sitting here collecting dust and fingerprints for what seems like forever with this build, so I'll hopefully get that done soon. Anyways, I snapped a handful of pics really quick just to give you a taste, before I can feel confident enough to begin to call the mod finished. I'm going to run it and shut it off for the next week or so constantly checking to make sure everything's okay with it. How about this... It's in 'pre-finish' mode right now. There. Does that work? :hehe:

And the pics....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

-------------
    Until the next update, I got nuthin'. :thumb:

Javerh likes this.
  5. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Now we can tell Bindi front page ready?

john

6. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

Congrats on getting your drive problems resolved! I know the feeling/process intimately. Looks great with that slick side and front panel.

7. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

gotta love the side panel for the (stealth effect)

8. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

shame its a little difficult in seeing the awesome acrylic motherboard cover.

I dont think pictures up until now have done it justise, i bet its really freaking awesome in the flesh!

Love it!

9. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

WOW! That smoked plexi works really well! Looks awesome mate, well done on that!

you do need to even out your coils though, have the same space between each coil all the way along ... or is that just me :p

10. Spyrious

Spyrious Modding all the Time

Magnificent!!!Very very nice.Take some more Photos.

11. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

^ Seconded. Absolutely stunning work!

12. wgy

wgy What's a Dremel?

****ing awesome.

really superb build.

13. Mino

Mino Ganzerli Mino

The smoked plexy is awesome! Now I need to found some here in Italy :)

14. E.E.L. Ambiense

:)

I'm not entirely sure the problem has been resolved though, lol. I hope it has! Thanks, man!

Thanks, man!

I wish I had access to a decent camera, or even someone who knows how to use said camera! It really does look better in person though versus these pics. Thanks, man!

Thanks, mate! Oh yeah....not done just yet. Everything will be just fine when I call it done! ;)

Thanks! I plan on getting some really good ones really soon.

Thanks!

Thank you!

Thanks, man! It's referred to as 'transparent grey', 'smoke grey', or any other euphemism you can imagine. Good luck on the hunt!

15. Mino

Mino Ganzerli Mino

I've found a shop in Milan that have this plexy, but they sell only a sheet of 1 meters per 2 meters, for non-metric people is about 3*6 feet ...
    I will try some ACRyan products :-(

16. headala

headala What's a Dremel?

Wow, the rig looks great EEL! I love the look of smoked plexi; plan on using a lot of it on my mod!

17. _-..zKiLLA..-_

_-..zKiLLA..-_ What's a Dremel?

that is so sick!:rock:

18. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Yay! It's all done, and you didn't have to call an exorcist. It looks perfect, even with the fingerprints.
    -Now, about that scratch build...

19. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Now that looks awesome.

20. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

damn you EEL, now i will never ever feel pleased with a normal tower build ever again! :grrr:

You are getting so damn close to perfection, it's just not funny anymore. The only minor niggles i can find are:
    - one green LED on the GPU
    - the spacing of the tubes (but i only saw it after it was mentioned, so it does not even count)
    - the little bit of light that bleeds away on the bottom
    - the big fangrill in the back is somewhat unclear because of the way the fan reflects the light. The "iris" cannot be seen.

Anyone notice how small and petty that all is? Really great build dude, frontpage material for sure!

Tags: