1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Brain Training doesn't help learning

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 26 Jan 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. Ta10n

Ta10n What's a Dremel?

O lol!

All this brain training crap always did seem silly to me, although I suppose they'll need to do a few more studies before the evidence is really conclusive. The reduction in memory performance is probably because these brain training things involve short problems that require little if any use of working memory. Whereas most paper problems and school work use longer problems, making use of substantial amounts of working memory.

So essentially the brain training ends up training you for mental challenges that don't have much of a place in everyday life.

Therefore the whole idea is a sham!

3. Golygus

Golygus Minimodder

From what I understood about the "game" is that it helps keep the brain "in shape".

I doesn't act to make people more intelligent, just sharper mental reflexes.

The fact that the minimum age your brain can be (in game) is 20 says why are they testing it on school kids!?!

Test it on a bunch of 50+ people and see where you go from there....

I'm not saying it works or not, but I think the above research was aimed at the wrong group!

4. Neji

Neji What's a Dremel?

Oh, looks like it's time for the {insert Nintendo game here} is actually not effective for {insert claimed benefit of game here} stories again.

It never claimed to be better than paper. It's just easier and more fun for most people to carry their DS with them. If it gets kids interested in maths/problem solving then it's a good thing.

5. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

There has long been the saying that you brain is like a muscle, if you don't use it, it becomes unfit. I don't think this game is aimed at school children. It's more to do with keeping older generations mentally active.

6. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

There has never been any neuropsychological research to support the notion that such programs improve cognitive functioning. At best functional improvements acquired are very specific to the task. With the brain it is a matter of "use it or lose it", but the cognitive activities involved need the be those of everyday life.

7. naokaji

naokaji whatever

Doing research on games? what a job:D

I don't think games can make someone who is stupid intelligent, maybe the brain traning games went a bit too far with the advertising, but no real surprise there.

8. Omnituens

Omnituens What's a Dremel?

I've always doubted the brain training games - i think your brain just gets better at down THOSE task (ie the ones in the game) and not the generic task that it falls under.

As a way of getting kids interested in doing problem solving, I think they are still good.

9. Otto69

Otto69 What's a Dremel?

Interesting! Now, let's see the same study done with middle aged and old people. Maybe kids are already at their peak, and the apps can help older people regarin some capacity.

Signed,

an Older Person.

10. dylAndroid

dylAndroid is human?

The article in the Times is not clearly written as to whether or not the first three groups also did traditional schooling. It almost seems to imply that they did not. If that's the case, then they have no control group. I don't think anyone is claiming that the game is a replacement for school.

Also, the assertion by the researcher that it must help kids to help adults ignores issues of aging and protecting against mental decline, which I believe is the real potential benefit of the program.

11. itazura

itazura PAWAA GURABU DAISUKI, YABAI DESU YO

this.

12. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

this again.

The research fails for not understanding the target audience of the game. It's like testing nicotine patches on a bunch of 10 year old non-smokers.

Tags: Add Tags