1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Modding painting the inside of a case

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Crazyglue, 27 Jan 2009.

1. Crazyglue

Crazyglue What's a Dremel?

so i understand to use 2 coats of primer, 5 coats of paint and a clear coat or 2, and to wet sand between the steps.

however, for the inside of a case, could i get away with a coat or 2 of primer, and 2 or 3 coats of high gloss paint with a clear coat or 2? (no sanding because, honestly, its pretty dificult to sand certain parts of the case.

or is there some thing more to this?

2. trucha

trucha What's a Dremel?

i just finished painting my nzxt lexa. i used rustoleum black semi-gloss ($4 a can), and did 3 light coats and it works just dandy. i suppose if you wanted higher quality you can do the primer and everything, but this way worked just fine for me.

3. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

I also just used some flat / matte black paint, and the first thin coat wasn't very good, scratched and flaked, but after 3 - 4 thin coats, no more flakes or scratching. Unless you want a perfect mirror finish for the inside, I don't think the sanding is necessary.

4. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

for a gloss finish sanding would be better. for hard to reach places you probably wont notice if you dont sand perfectly.

for a matte finish unless the surface of the paint is horrible it wont really be noticeable.

as for primer, it would depend on what the material is and what kind of finish it has now. if its raw metal I would use a couple (2 - 4 depending on the color of the primer and color of what you want to paint it) light coats of primer.

for the paint its usually better to do quite a few light coats.

same with clear coat. but if you are wanting a matte finish I would leave out the clear coat and do some extra light coats of paint to make it more durable.

the best way to do it is to take a scrap piece of metal of the same kind and experiment with what you are going to do to make sure you get it right so when you do the case you dont mess up and have to start over.

5. MarkW7

MarkW7 Total Noob

I take it thats in the US - what shop was it, can they ship to the UK.

6. CobraMods

CobraMods Gettin there slowly

7. trucha

trucha What's a Dremel?

i just walked into lowe's (they're a home improvement warehouse, like home depot. i dont know what yall have on the other side of the pond) im assuming they sell it anywhere they sell spraypaint.

8. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

Mark, look for a Wilco Motosave near you... it's (give or take) £3.50/can

9. MarkW7

MarkW7 Total Noob

Thanks, will look into it :)

10. Crazyglue

Crazyglue What's a Dremel?

thanks for the imput guys, im gonna start painting tommarow morning :-D