1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SketchUp The MNPCTech Case Design Competition, part II: Scratch Build

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Xtrafresh, 14 Jan 2009.

?

This thread is made of pure:

1. Win

13.7%
  2. Win

14.7%
  3. Win

17.6%
  4. Epic design Win!

51.0%
  5. Cheesecake

55.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. m0o0oeh

m0o0oeh Minimodder

@Dark - sick!

2. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

aww man i though i was doing ok compared to everyone else then this one comes along. maybe i'll just have to be happy with a top 10 finish?

also:
    can I sponsor part of one of the prizes? was thinking of paying for a 4gb or so flash drive for 3rd place. or maybe as a special prize for another achievement?

Last edited: 31 Jan 2009
  3. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

holy **** dark! that looks awesome

oh and from top to bottom she weighs in at 570mm :)

4. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

These are getting to be some really nice scratchbuilds. I go away for a couple days and you guys all go nuts.
    I have to give a thumbs up to all of you contestants so far. :thumb:

john

5. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Lol, i feel the same way!

Oh, and feel free to add prizes to the pool. You can add either a 4th prize, add your prize to 1,2,3. :thumb:

Thanks mate!

6. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

[​IMG]

finished the two upper brackets/ w/c guides

edit:
    my contribution to the prizes:
    either a 4th place or (preferably) the choice of a select panel (myself, xtrafresh (as the organiser) and (mnpctech as the main sponsor) for the most innovative design (which means neither of us three can enter for that prize :p)
    http://www.verbatim.com.au/en_AU/pr...s/95236/store-n-go-standard-4gb-usb-2-0-drive
    Verbatim Store'n'Go Standard 4GB USB 2.0 Drive
    [​IMG]

mnpctech, your choice as you are the main sponsor as to whether the prize is for 4th place or our selection

7. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

I just saw this again and thought :jawdrop: I bet he's planning to have the mobo compartment so it all raises up on the press of a button! if so that would probably be the coolest thing to hit this comp yet. (save cheaps ghetto cube of course :rock:)

8. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

That would be awesome :rock:

9. skullen

skullen Minimodder

These designs are all awesome :thumb:
    Build it Dark,that would be awesome :thumb:

10. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Originally I was going to mod my old dragon case but I got bored today and thought about making a mock up of simx to see if it would be possible.. so far its looking more like ill be starting a full build of it when we move house and get a lovely new "garage" *cough* workshop :)

Heres a pic of when I had just finished the first part of the bottom section (not sure if it breaks the "no renders" rules but hey it just looks like a box still lol)

[​IMG]

11. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Oh SH*T! Dark baby, I love you!!!
    A computer that can be used for self-defense!:hehe:
    -Bends in 3/4" material... impossible for us in real life, but awesome to dream up.

@Editor - We have to do the back? -Oh, dear... The back of mine is showing it's single-walled-ness. They look awesome, but I'm not big on logos. The unwritten rule in design is to have only one logo visible on any side.-Or one name badge, and one graphic logo.
    tl;dr=The sli plate is too much for me, everything else is sweet.

@Confusis - You are still in the running, The crazy little details that come out of your head are always awesome. Honestly, I tossed a coin on the last contest. You almost had my vote.:hehe:
    The more prize places= more chances to win= more people posting designs.:D I just hope there isn't a massive tie. That rule Xtrafresh tacked on about people tied getting the same prize troubles me... What if I have to make 6 more tops?!?:eeek:

12. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Yeah : / just messing about at the moment really, its this horrible habit of actually using sketch up to sketch ideas and then end up with a huge mess that takes hours to delete the ones I don't like and re draw the ones I do into finished groups/components... need to take a lesson in neatness :(
    When we going to get our next instalment of the beast then cheapskate?

13. Cheapskate

I'm at the tweaking phase right now. There's tons of little crap things to do, but the initial design is done. I spent ALL day yesterday exporting to DXF, (I think I found a new way to stress test a system, BTW.) In the end, I had to ctrl/alt/del, and give up.
    -You CAN expect an ultimate ghetto mod in the future.:D I was so pumped on the idea I raided the garage for cardboard. I have an entire case of wood floor glue. Time to get back to my roots.:naughty:

14. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

one more pic :

[​IMG]

it's no 3/4" material... it's 8 and 10mm and if you can't bend that you'll just have to mill it out of a huge block of aluminium XD

well, everything in that case will be moving on the press of a button.

15. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Block of Alum? Call mnpctech - he has experience - probably only set you back about the cost of a house, + labor of course. :clap:

Grab those electric screw actuators and let it rise!!!

john

16. Cheapskate

Is that a recoil spade?

17. rowin4kicks

rowin4kicks a man walked into a bar ...

Penguin 2.0

Having missed the deadline of the previous competition and actually having tried quite hard to get it finished i thought i would give this one ago ad try and finish my model this time!

I came up with a load of sketches and concepts and i have fleshed out a few on sketchup, i wasnt really happy with any of them untill this one!

For the last few days i have been resisting posting any pictures of the case as it very hard to understand what is going on in any of the screen shots i tried, and i wanted to save the design untill the last few days. But temptation got the better of me so here is a quick teaser of Penguin 2.0!

[​IMG]

18. Cheapskate

Cool looking...penguin shears? Now I'm going to spend the rest of the month trying to imagine the rest of that design. -and you torturing penguins...
    Are those just the legs, or some kind of way to access the insides?
    As a leg design it's pretty neat. I can see an added option of having the front set in position B, and the back set in position A for loop draining. It comes with a built in set of jacks.

-I forgot something...
    [​IMG]
    -This is a wireless 4 port KVM station. You will notice the lack of a touchpad. I hate laptop touchpads! The sides are actually pen tablets that can be used for mouse pads.
    -That's right! With this you can surf on the toilet.:D
    If there's anyone in the industry reading this, please tell me why this has never been made!!!! The best way to get away from the noise of 4 computers is to be in a different room.

19. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

quick question: does the res in a w/c loop have to be above everything? or could it even be the bottom component/level with the pump?

20. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

it helps to be at the top to act as an air trap, as air will get into a loop over time and it helps to remove it.