1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gun Control

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Tim92, 31 Jan 2009.

1. Tim92

Tim92 Blah! Blah!

I was woundering what your peeps stances on it are, cause I have never really seen a topic on it.

For me I am Anti-GC.

Whats yours?

2. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

Well I'm anti-gun control to a point, I do think certain assault rifles should have restrictions but no out right bans on any type of gun

The DC gun ban is unconstitutional in my view (and the supreme court's too) and should be reversed

3. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

I am against outlawing any gun. But I am 100% for strict requirements in getting a license for owning guns.

4. Jumeira_Johnny

Jumeira_Johnny 16032 - High plains drifter

If you wanted to know, you could have just used the search. Now you started a thread that will deteriorate into all the nutters claiming, "OMG, I have to have a gun to kill my food and in case there needs to be a revolution"; while all the loonies will start crying, "Only an nutter would want a gun, people are safer when they are all gone."

Then there will be an exchange of dubious internet facts, followed by an massive clash of cultures, followed by nexxo, followed by anti american gibberish, followed by pro american gibberish.

Seriously, there is a search function and you should make use of it before starting a new thread on such a contentious subject, so we don't have to beat the damn horse all over again.

5. twentynine

twentynine Can never win...

My thoughts exactly. Although a few weapons should have restrictions on them as The_Beast said.

6. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

I've never felt the need to own a gun myself, then again, that may be because very few people here have them either. It's sort of like a nuke thing IMO, if someone else has one, you feel you need one too.

7. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

8. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I love guns, I really do.

Yes control of the 'gun culture' is very, very important. However, the UK has gone running with the "Oh lord, guns are bad, ban everything zomgwtf!" which is fine, for 90% of people. However, when you look into our gun politics, it's a complete mess. Here we have three different bodies that deal with different areas, and they all hate each other. There is very little useful communication made between the two that is not demanded by law.

However, taking America as an example, as it's well known for its free-ish stance on guns and lack of real forms of control.

I agree that there should be a better system of control for the gun culture in the US. Given the fact that it has now been free to let people buy and sell guns almost as they please, enforcing any strict gun control laws off the bat is not going to work. It worked in the UK because we are a small country, we have a very small number of people in the country, we have a very small country - It's easier for us to police.

In the US, as you know, this is not the case. We're talking about ~300 million people (According to a census, so I expect there is going to be some variation on that number - Ours is ~60m), and an absolutely massive country (~9m square kilometers, compared to our ~250k square km) - It would simply not be possible to police the entire thing to a level that would keep the gun culture under the control of the law. This is not to say that it couldn't be slowly introduced, but it would be vehomently opposed by many, many gun owning (Responsible or otherwise) Americans (I'd oppose it, were I living in America). The only viable method I can see is a reasonable licensing system, not as strict as ours in the UK, because it would be backlogged for many, many decades in the US. Just something more than is currently in effect, an extra step to get your hands on one. Hell, even a broad license (In the UK we have different licenses for shotguns and rifles) that allows you to buy any kind of legally permitted firearm (I understand that some states have banned .50, and that automatics are not permitted in most places?) would be an extra step in the right direction for controling the drooling psychopaths that get hold of them.

Outlawing will never work, ever. Especially in a country the size of America. You'd probably have the country flooded with cheap pistols, before you could even get around to trying to take existing legitimate owners pistols away from them. Using pistols as an example, due to their size and portability - It could easily apply to any other projectile weapon, though.

I do not believe in banning of any weapon. It's the psychopaths who **** it up for the rest of us. A better licensing system is required, but even then, a true nutter will always be able to get hold of a weapon illegaly. Sure, not being able to do it makes it slightly harder, but hell. I'm a normal guy - I don't hang around 'dodgy' characters, but I could probably get my sticky mits on a gun inside a week, illegaly. It's not hard, and to believe that banning anything works wonders 100% of the time is sheer blinkered idiocy - It verges on irresponsibility.

License guns, go nuts, I don't mind waiting months to get a bit of paper to say I can own what I want to own - Just don't cry when it doesn't usher in the crime-free society that some people expect it to.

This illustrates my point, that it's not hard to find an American that opposes gun control (That wasn't meant to cause offence, fyi) ;)

9. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

Ow God not this again!!! This is like debating religion.... and conspiracy theories... and, dare i say it, DOGMAS!!!

Gun control is necessary in several levels and has to be viewed per case, this is an international forum filled with people from several parts of the world were reality goes from insanity (everyone wants to kill you and rob you from your organs) to more civilized countries, to say that everyone needs or not gun control is painting with a broad brush something that has its nuances.

Before you post in this thread, if it is still alive, step back, breathe in, think a little and consider if your ideas are falsifiable (*) , if they are not, DO NOT POST, if they are, please post and debate, in a debate the ideas of each side have to be falsifiable for the outcome to be positive.

Also state were you live and, if you wish, the reality of your country, then post your views and the reason for them, do not post things like: "GUN CONTROL FOR THE WIN!!!!" or "THAT IS A COMMUNIST PLOT TO SUBMIT US TO COMMUNISM!!! HURRAY FOR GUNS *kisses AK47* "

(*) for your idea to be falsifiable you need to feel that there is an answer or a counter idea to your idea that someone can give you that will make you change your mind.

example:
    >*person debates that earth is flat*
    <people show him calculations and pictures from credible sources that prove that the earth is round
    >*person takes in the data and thinks a little and changes his mind*
    <people around him congratulate him for growing up a little.

the end

common unfalsifiable points of view (unless you are logic in your views) : religion, sport club views, patriotism, conspiracy theories, arm chair analysis of serious problems, etc....

i should add gun control to the above list... but there are smart people here that can think a little before posting.

my views on this subject? it needs to be thought case per case, we, in Portugal, don't need guns to defend ourselves, except in really REALLY uncommon cases.

10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Epic post. :clap: And pretty much true (even the nexxo part). Best let sleeping dogs lie.

Last edited: 31 Jan 2009
  11. Tim92

Tim92 Blah! Blah!

Woops... sorry I was totally unaware that there were others.

I did use the search but typed, "Gun Control" and nothing came up for that. :wallbash:
    So I guess since it has been debated before mods just lock or delete or do whatever you do. My apologies.

12. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Don't worry, after the next school shooting we'll be discussing this topic again.

13. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

It might be worth a run through because of the recent election; after Obama won people have started stockpiling ammo and more are buying guns.

It seems people have him down as a "gun grabber" and are reacting while they have the chance:

http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/11/11/obama.gun.sales/

Sorry for the CNN link, but I'm lazy :sigh:

14. Tim92

Tim92 Blah! Blah!

Well, then I hope we never have to discuss again. :worried:

15. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

GUN CONTROL IS A COMMUNIST PLOT TO SUBMIT US TO COMMUNISM!!! HURRAY FOR GUNS!

:lol:

16. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

I don't think it's that restrictive. If you want a gun, and have a reason to have it, you can get one. I believe the UK has the right idea. Guns aren't something to be taken lightly (I mean, they shoot things), and so some sort of system is required, but I think we've got it about right.
    Outlawing small guns (handguns) is fairly reasonable, as they are easily hidden, and thus promote hit 'n' runs for those so-inclined.
    And disallowing military weapons (read: assault rifles) is also a good idea, as when, realistically, are you going to need to fire off an entire magazine at some farm animals?

My dad has a shotgun (12 bore) which I have used (to kill 2 pheasants which I then ate, woopta ;)) and every 4 years or so a fellow comes around to check he's not insane, and to check the guns are locked up properly etc.

I am definitely in the camp that guns should be licensed and restricted, not the free-for-all that the USA seems to have, which would certainly make me alot more uncomfortable if I lived there and did not have a gun.

Realistic licensing is the way forward: some people and some weapons should simply not be allowed to mix.

Sir Digby likes this.
  17. mvagusta

mvagusta Did a skid that went for two weeks.

I've seen one or two gun threads, but i've never seen a thread explaining what the Cheesecake is about? Not to mention Relix :confused:

18. johnmustrule

johnmustrule What's a Dremel?

The people that are causing problems with guns are going to have them if you regulate guns or not. It doesn't matter how much licensing and restriction you put in place, if you want a gun then your going to get a gun. Short of melting every gun in existance, there's nothing you can do that wouldn't enable just the criminals. The problem with licensing is that it's not going to prevent the people we don't want having guns from getting them, for 99% of the cases.

Last edited: 1 Feb 2009
  19. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

But gun licensing could prevent gun ACCIDENTS. Many people own guns just because. They don't necessarily use them. If they had to take a course and license them and such a lot of people wouldn't bother. Therefore gun accidents would greatly be reduced. And it would require people to have more knowledge which also would reduce accidents.

In my province I don't remember the exact number but in the last 10 years or so there have been less then 10 (probably less than 5 really) gun accidents. That's all because of the requirements needed to buy and own a gun.

20. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

But I'd rather have one and not use it and need one and not have it ^^^

Buying a gun here isn't easy or hard (if done legally). Rifles can be bought and taken home same day (with a back ground check) and handguns have a 3 day waiting period (which I do think it right)