1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware Icy Box IB-NAS4220-B Network Storage

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 1 Feb 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Out of interest where did you pluck the £200 for NAS+2x1tb drives from? I've not seen any sub ~£70 on my searches.

3. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Hmmm this seems very interesting, torrenting and file backup. Just need to sort my network problem..

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

I was being liberal with the math, I should have said "about" £200 - If you can find a couple of teras for £60-65 then that's only £215-220ish and HDD prices are coming down all the time.

5. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Ah fair enough, its an interpretation thing on my part then :)

Cheers for the review though, I had been eyeing these up but they are still too expensive imo. Good if you don't want to mess around with building a dedicated box and lower power for sure.

6. phuzz

phuzz This is a title

Speaking of a dedicated box, any plans to do a little feature on roll-your-own NAS boxes?
    I've ended up using my old gaming PC (not the most power efficient setup I'll admit) with FreeNAS which I'm pretty happy with. I'd guess most B-T readers have enough old hardware lying around to build something out of.

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

To be honest, once you've factored in something cheap like an Atom board, PSU (+ power brick which are usually separate), memory, a nice case (!! hard to find on the cheap) I doubt it's possible to get all that for less than £95. Not to mention the fact fiddling with the OS also takes times.

Phuzz - I was going to do an build guide for FreeNAS last year, and I might still do, but it's just hard to find the time :(

8. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

what am I missing here??

That's one nice looking box, too bad we get price-raped here as the box alone costs 210 € here.

9. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

512Mb = 64MB

b = bits
    B = bytes

10. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Not a bad box, especially on the price. I think I am going to be sticking with the HP homeserver through for what I need.

11. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Sneaky buggers! Did that on purpose :( I prefer our Mb and Mt.

12. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

That would have to be the best looking NAS box I have seen to date. The price and performance are pretty good also lol.

13. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

I have one of these and have been a fan of Icy Box products for quite a while but now i would he hesitant in recommending them to anyone. The print server functionality on my NAS box has just stopped working, i have reflashed the firmware and tried various things but it still wont work. An IcyBox RAID backplane at work also stopped working and there is no technical support at all from IcyBox. The only way to contact them is via a web form which you never get a response from.

14. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

:(

All things well and good - we might have a forum on here soon for you to get that tech support. No promises because nothing has been signed yet though afaik.

15. Cupboard

Cupboard I'm not a modder.

It seems a shame to put something that looks as good as that away in a cupboard. And when you were talking about a DIY NAS box up thread, is there any need to have a nice case for it? so long as the case works and doesn't cook the hard drives, is there any need for it to look good as it can just be hidden "under the stairs"?

If I am right in thinking that hard drives only produce heat when spinning, which would make sense, it seems strange that a temperature controlled fan doesn't spin down when the only major heat producing items are turned off.

16. Nathan@Nanopoint

Nathan@Nanopoint Ctrl Alt Del

Hi Da_Rude_Baboon

Where did you go for Technical support? Please send me a private message with your problems and I will assit you. Flashing your firmware to the latest version should have fixed any issues or you max have encountered a problem while flashing or have a incorrect configuration.

17. Pricester

Pricester What's a Dremel?

Is there any third party Linux firmware available for this device? I was recently made aware of the Linksys NSLU2, which (after a custom firmware flash) can have a normal Linux system installed on it and then work as a web server, file server or whatever you like...
    Since the NSLU2 is almost impossible to get hold of, I'd be interested in knowing if there is any similar custom firmware available for the Icy Box. There seems to be quite a community at http://nas-4220.org/, but I think this is all based on the standard firmware...

I've also just read there that this system isn't so great with Samsung hard drives at the moment...

18. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Thank you NKW. I will send you a PM.

19. Nathan@Nanopoint

Nathan@Nanopoint Ctrl Alt Del

Good Morning all!

Hi Pricester, I'm not 100% sure on the developments for third party firmware however in recent discussions with a Linux enthusiast they said that this is possible. Many mods are being created and I’ve heard that a gentleman in central Europe can turn his heating on and off remotely via the NAS4220 and this experimenting is what I would like to encourage.

If anyone has some ideas of what features could be added please send me a PM and we can discuss this, and if you that feel you can write mods/firmware changes yourself I would really like to encourage you and offer support and possible sponsorship.

As for Samsung drives the first firmware did have issues operating them, I understand that the latest firmware has fixed these problems. different models of hard drives operate in various ways, so the big advantage of the open source is to keep releasing official and third-party updates which can fix any known issues.

20. antiHero

antiHero ReliXmas time!

:Really nice review (as always :D) Shame it costs 200€ over here. Plus 2 tera drives and you are at 400€. :( To much for my pockets.
    As others sad, a freeNAS tutorial would be cool. I tryed it but didnt get it working proper.

Tags: Add Tags