1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Internet Explorer market share dips

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 3 Feb 2009.

1. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

2. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

I'm waiting for Chrome to come out for Linux to substitute Firefox on my eee because its more snappy. Other than that Firefox is all around me.

3. Grinch123456

Grinch123456 What's a Dremel?

What I don't understand is why people would use Safari when every other browser available on the market, IE included, is better. Boggles the mind.

4. Lazarus Dark

Lazarus Dark Minimodder

I use firefox mostly at home and work. The only time I ever use IE is when interfacing with another companies online system that only works with IE (I call that bad programming personally). On occasion, I use Opera, I'm surprised it never caught on more, it's actually really nice if you want something intuitive that works as is and actually looks really nice too. I guess the problem is that Opera doesn't have nearly as much community support as far as extensions and such like firefox does. I've never tried safari. Never felt the need to. I know a couple people at work who have switched to chrome, but they say there are more incompatible sites (keep in mind we interface with a lot of weird networking software on our client's servers--Citrix is the bain of my existence), so they have to keep switching back and forth with FF or IE.

5. Lepermessiah

Lepermessiah What's a Dremel?

There is a large group of anti-MS people that scream use anything but IE, but in reality IE is fine as well, i personally have used all of them and really see no difference.

6. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

I use opera at home and FF at work and overall I prefer Opera, I can't understand why it has so little market share really, except for just poor exposure I guess.

Lazarus - get the IE tab extension that lets you render in IE within FF, that way you never have to open IE again!

7. naokaji

naokaji whatever

I suspect the answer is simple, Apple Fanboys.

Opera has a problem, there are plenty of websites that are coded poorly, since opera sticks to standards very strictly it runs into trouble on poorly coded sites where IE simply ignores potential trouble and just tries to make something out of the code anyway.

I am forced to use IE at work, at home I am using FF.

8. rembo666

rembo666 What's a Dremel?

I tried using all 3 browsers. By all 3 I mean Firefox, IE 8, and Chrome. I actually switched to IE 8 for a while because of the convenience features. What brought me back to Firefox were performance and more substantial customization options. However, I would be sold on IE 8 if not for some performance issues. Chrome is fast, but it's lacking in features and no plug-ins.

As for others:

I'm sure Safari is a good browser, but I don't use fruity computers or software (yeah, call me a hater, but I like to build my computers).

Opera is actually a very nice browser, but Firefox doesn't lose much if anything, but it has much better support.

I think in the end Firefox is still the best: it has good performance and phenomenal support and expandability. IE could catch up, but it doesn't look like they made performance a priority for IE 8, so they lost my vote (and I really tried to give them a chance).

9. Tyrmot

Tyrmot Minimodder

It seems that maybe people are coding better as that problem doesn't seem to occur as much as it used to.

If you are using Opera, the following site is invaluable: http://www.fanboy.co.nz/adblock/opera/ as it basically acts as AdBlocker for FF

10. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

It's not a problem of Opera. MS wanted to take over the internet and so they created & enforced their own standards. Thank god MS failed! I know at least about two webmasters who don't like MS because they had to write separate non-standard version of website for retarded IE. But it seems that some WMs chose to write website only for IE.

11. Mentai

Mentai What's a Dremel?

I'm not one for extensions so the switch to chrome was easy for me. There is one site I visit occasionally which is incompatible, but I still prefer chrome.

I wonder if IE's market share would increase much if they allowed pirated versions of windows to receive the security updates etc. I never owned a legitimate version of XP, that's why I changed to firefox when it came out, and I didn't even like tabbed browsing at first.

12. Grasshopper

Grasshopper What's a Dremel?

I switch to Chrome to test it and never looked back (used Maxton 2 at that point). It still need many things but Google is hard at work and stuffing new features with every new version. I've used FF for some time but it feels sluggish and the navigation way to unintuitive for me.

13. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Has anyone actually used ie8?
    It's a ****ing nightmare. It breaks all our sites which work absolutely fine on firefox, chrome, safari, opera and even ie7 and ie6... It's completely useless. So what if it can render sites using ie7 and ie6.. If it's own rendering method is completely broken what's the point!

If that whole damn team get laid off because of this recession, web designers around the world will rejoice. The whole bunch of them are idiots.

14. Er-El

Er-El Minimodder

I'm a long time Firefox user, but after trying IE8 RC1 I think I'll be switching back to Windows Internet Explorer. I really can't see anything in Firefox compared to IE now that warrants going through the extra trouble of installing another browser every time I install Windows. I also like the way some of the features are better implemented in IE, such as RSS; I think the web slices feature is awesome, and there really isn't any notable difference in performance.

Anywho, I hope Bit-Tech do a review on IE8 when it's released and do a fair (I hope) benchmark on difference performance tests.

15. DXR_13KE

DXR_13KE BananaModder

i use a mix between firefox and chrome, firefox for power browsing were i have 30+ tabs open and need tons of options and chrome for fast action browsing, to check up on news and the bus time tables.

16. Yemerich

Yemerich I can has PERSUADETRON?

I have chrome, ie7 and FF. There are some sites that doesn't render well in FF. But for webdeveloper, there's no browser like FF. Not EVEN CLOSE! Although I prefer FF most of the time, I have to use IE as my primary browse becase of those rather rare FF rendering issues. I keep Chrome as a referal when developing websites. Safari with that Mac look is just too distastefull for me, even being a good browser for javascript. Call me a naysayer.

17. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

As opposed to the IE which has no rendering issues?

18. reflux

reflux What's a Dremel?

Opera is an under loved masterpiece indeed. Best browser out there, tiny market share. What gives?

19. War-Rasta

War-Rasta What's a Dremel?

I've tried FF, IE and Chrome and I don't think I'll be leaving FF any time soon. Chrome is heading in the right direction, but it's still lacking way too many features. FF has me hooked on plugins as I can get my browser to behave exactly the way I want it to. It'll be a while before Chrome has that amount of plugins available and by then FF will probably have some other features I'll be interested in, if not then I'm likely to switch to chrome.

At work I use FF also, but I need to deal with plenty of internal sites which are not FF at all so I use IEtab for them, other than that I don't use IE at all.

20. Psytek

Psytek What's a Dremel?

I use firefox mainly, I always test first in FF, I'm currently trying chrome out for casual browsing on my Gaming PC, but without the plugins that firefox has, it cant really compete.

I also use the webkit nightly for testing, instead of safari, which is an awful browser which crashes all the time (and I'm a mac user/apple fanboy)

Tags: Add Tags