1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SketchUp The MNPCTech Case Design Competition, part II: Scratch Build

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Xtrafresh, 14 Jan 2009.

?

This thread is made of pure:

1. Win

13.7%
  2. Win

14.7%
  3. Win

17.6%
  4. Epic design Win!

51.0%
  5. Cheesecake

55.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Up top is best in real life but for this contest anything goes. It's about the design, not the functionality.

john

2. x06jsp

x06jsp da ginger monkey!!!!

If the res is above the pump thats fine...

Josh

3. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Sure, we can help you select "Most Innovative Design" for your 4th place prize :thumb:

4. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

So I finished building my Simx mock up from card before work today and was really unhappy with the design : / spent the next 7 hours pondering ideas at work and got nothing :(
    When I got home ( through the snow! yeah the UK was like alaska today :D ) the kettle went on and half way through my coffee I got an idea.. so here's a peek at what should hopefully be my new entry and also my new case/project log when the next pay packet comes in <3

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still a long way to go but hey at least it should keep me out of trouble until the deadline :D

Hmm tried to edit the first one and double posted by mistake :( any chance someone could delete the first one?

5. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Neat. I can just imagine you at work making cardboard models... An the looks you would get from co-workers.
    I hope you're not a waiter or something. That would really make it awkward.

6. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

Editor22, What's that white tube at the bottom? Clever shape, by the way!

7. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

Just got an idearrrr for a new one. My current one is too realistic. lol

8. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

-> Cheapskate] lol well I'm an odd jobs man and work for my father in law at his lab, but he has kindly donated some of the workspace in the construction part of it for me on weekends which means I can get my hands on some nice buffers, grinders, drills etc :) now to convince him that he needs a CNC mill and ill be away lol, I would put a shot of the cardboard monster up but just after the top went on the cat decided that she wanted another bed and cardboard simx looked like a good option :( needless to say I came back to find out how simx could be flatpacked...

Its one of 2 junction boxes, got some nice plans for how to spice them up a little.. taking on the theme of the chemical cylinders from resident evil.

9. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Mighty fine work Editor. Very original :thumb:

10. ModelMaker

ModelMaker What's a Dremel?

Ok, I don't know if this can count as an actual submission since i'm actually planning on building this and have a thread for it already, so, if it can't, then it's just a shameless plug for my thread ;) If it can, then I'll officially enter the contest with my entry.

This is the first mostly finished 3d model of my upcoming case (like, a year from now upcoming) It is my concept for a computer as furniture, and cool furniture at that. I'd really love to build a whole series of different sizes of these for different uses, but we'll see how that goes in reality.

Without further ado:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

All the parts in this are to scale and modeled by me from scratch in Maya (but no rendering, just a screen grab, promise) Also, all parts are real and can be used on my future case, I didn't want to design anything fantastical that would require fabrication that i'm not ready to handle.

Right now, it looks like a fairly ordinary steamer trunk, and that's kind of the point, i don't Want it to look like a computer. But, within the next few days/week, i'll add some images of the internals so you can see they layout and i'll be creating the masked DVD and cutting the fan intakes and exhausts, etc.

Thanks!
    -Justin

11. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

sweet! Welcome to the competition Justin, the fact that you are actually planning to build it is no problem for entering. :thumb:

Plus, i like your approach to the case, it's something original and different from all the others so far!

12. Cheapskate

Welcome to the party.:D

13. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

And what an awesome party it is!

funky design you got there ModelMaker what materials you planning on using?

14. Cheapskate

A trunk...and a computer.:hehe:

15. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Rofl Cheap but I was thinking more along the lines of a scratch build... not like your ghetto cube :worried:

16. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

Hehe, looks like what someone made from his power supply in our casemodding contest :hehe:

[​IMG]

17. ModelMaker

ModelMaker What's a Dremel?

Hah! great 'pirate's chest' ;)

It'll be a totally scratch build, from the ground up. I thought about buying a trunk, but aside from the cost (at least 300 bucks) I just don't want to destroy an antique by taking a jigsaw to it. Mine won't be as fancy as the older ones, but I want to get a few of those anyway, so as long as it doesn't stand out too much, i'm happy.

I love some of the acrylic cases you guys are making, i'd love to get enough kick ass stuff to put inside of the case to show it off, but this is going to be a fairly tame computer by comparisons, no WC, no huge heat sinks, and probably not OC'ed, I'm not a big games person, and it doesn't take cutting edge to run maya that well anymore, so I dont mind hiding all the internals as best i can :)

Good luck everyone, and thanks for the welcome

18. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

cable routing!
    [​IMG]

mvagusta likes this.
  19. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Nice dude, whats that PSU you got in there?

20. Cheapskate

That would be an absolute beast to unplug, but d*mn, it looks cool!