1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Epic: No Gears of War 2 PC

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 30 Sep 2008.

1. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!

Somewhat glad Epic decided not to port another GoW to the PC platform considering the recent fiasco in GoW-PC:
    :rolleyes:

2. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Whoa whoa whoa impar, you're making wild accusations that a simple lapse in the digital certificate is a "fiasco"? If you read the unofficial response, it says that they don't know how or why it happened to they're trying to solve that first.

3. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    It is not an accusation, its a constatation of another gaming DRM screwup.

4. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

aka: yet another Epic Fail

5. DougEdey

Is it really a fiasco?

6. impar

impar Minimodder

Greetings!
    Lets see:
    I would definitely call it a ridiculous failure.
    Anyway, its semantics, not really a worthy debate to have.
    You may call it whatever you prefer. ;)

PS:
    http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2009/01/30/gears-of-war-pc-certificate-expired/1

Last edited: 30 Jan 2009
  7. pcsonny

pcsonny What's a Dremel?

Cliff Bleszinski, you are wrong. You have promised us that Epic will be a PC company in the first place. But now you cheat your PC customers who made you what you are, and still complaining about low sales of a big title, even with mouse+keyboard instead of stupid contoller for a shooter game. You can't admit that you are bunch of liars who said exactly same thing about first GOW, but still released it due hunger for money. You did not put any effort in that glitchy port, but sold it for a price beyond its value. However you cannot realise that, according to your theory, a savvy person can buy a Xbox360 for the price of an high-end card, and play GOW If he likes . I doubt that fans of this game will consider paying another price to play the exactly same game on PC. The lesson to learn here is, do not become Microsoft's puppet and release the game on PC immediatly. Not after a year as everyone got bored of this game. Wake up from the dream, it's not the best shooter in the world.

8. DougEdey

So you won't mind not playing it on PC then

9. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

tell me how to play it on PC with the certificate problem??

10. mysteriousstranger

mysteriousstranger What's a Dremel?

"Release a good quality product and people will PAY for it. If you are so afraid of piracy then why don't you release your game(s) on Steam ! I know I have never pirated a game that was only available on Steam. Actually, yes I did. It was HL2 and the cracked version that was available on the net was buggy as hell and the artificial intelligence was missing at many points of the game. I then bought the game in store and activated it on Steam. Well guess what Epic , 2 years later I BOUGHT THE EXTENSION BECAUSE IT WAS A GOOD GAME AND I WAS SATISFIED BY IT. The next year I bought the Orange Box and I now have all the recent Valve games.

Epic and many other game developers could learn from Valve"

I know a lot of people who would disagree with you but I for one think that you are absolutley right for many reasons:

1. I download pirate versions of games first to see if my computer can handle them (because demos and system requirements are BS to go by) but Source games will run on anything, seriously. I went straight out and bought Day Of Defeat Source, HL2 Episode 1 and Left 4 Dead when they were released because there was no doubt in my mind my computer (which is about mid-range) could handle them. I was right too.
    2. Steam does an amazing job of deterring pirates, the off the chart sales figures for HL2 are proof enough. Why would anyone who was interested in gaming spend ages trying to pirate a Steam game when they can buy it cheap in a shop (L4D was £28), have access to an extensive online multiplayer community, free DLC, free trials on other games (like Red Orchestra) and have their games patched automatically for no extra charge.
    3. Valve's games are good IN THEIR OWN RIGHT. The HL series has a brilliant story, iconic characters, excellent art direction, great sfx & music and intense gameplay. Left 4 Dead is the best survival horror game I've ever played, even better than Resident Evil.
    4. I once owned UT3 and when I tried to play it online there was hardly anyone playing. Search for a server on Steam (any game) and your so spolit for choice it's crazy.

As long as Valve keeps making decent games, I'll keep buying them.
    Epic Games can rot for all I care.

11. DougEdey

Until they fix it, just roll your system clock to pre 31/01/2009

12. Marauderr

Marauderr What's a Dremel?

Man what BS is this?

Dude I've been a pc gamer for over twenty years...I've watched it slowly disintegrate into the state its in now. Yes piracy is a problem but come on...piracy is alive and well on the xbox360 so don't kid yourself. I OWN over 300 titles for the pc...many of which are epic.

I OWN GOW1...wish I didn't. Why? It IS a good game if you can get past the bugs...
    It does suffer from consoleitis being a port(If yer a pc guy you know what I mean...) but aside from that, not bad.
    Why did It fail on pc? Piracy? BS

It failed because it has 1 save slot. It failed cus that 1 save slot would randomly become corrupt causing a restart of the game.
    It failed cus the said 1 save slot was hidden in a file buried deeply in the directory structure, that once found, you COULD backup and restart from an earlier save point causing you to replay sections of the game oh, say twenty times...then maybe, just MAYBE it would autosave and NOT corrupt the 1 save slot.
    It failed because a day after release guys were posting this info on the web... and people said WTF? 1 save slot? And it gets randomly corrupted? When thent I'll just wait till it shows up on a torrent and see how bad it is...what is that? It IS that bad, gee guess I'm not buying it.
    It failed because even after people bitched, no patch was fourthcoming.
    It failed because like most other pc games out there, companies refuse to do proper bug testing and release a crappy product just to get the public to do their bug testing for them...aka Dungeon Lords (Yes I'm looking at you Dreamcatcher).

Crysis? I loved Crysis..played through it four times, which is alot for a junkie like me. I BOUGHT Crysis.
    I have a kick ass SLI rig...Crysis failed because of piracy? BS

What percentage of people have a serious gaming rig out there? How many fork over 4 grand for a killer rig? Most pc users check email and go on face book. It's only crazy nuts like us that own a gaming rig. Hell a p2 450 works fine for the internet...got one right beside me that my wife uses. The pc hardware market is RUN by pc gamers. What business in its right mind would have a kick ass rig to run business apps on?
    Crysis failed becuse it needed a gamers rig to run it properly. It's key selling points were its engine, an engine that would choke the life from a rig 2 years old at the time of release.
    It failed because only a small percentage of the pc users have the hardware to run it, so don't give me this crap about piracy killing it. It was so far ahead of the curve that their market was limited from the start.
    A week after release people said WTF? It needes a kick ass rig and my daddy's won't cut it? Better torrent it to see... and YES it does run like crap on my p4 2.2 with crappy video card.

Xbox games can be prated just like pc games man, and you can bet PS3 games will be there soon. Come out with a good product and people will buy it, but thanks to the internet, come out with a crappy product and it will fall on its face because pc gamers look for reviews and opinions BEFORE they buy.

Rant over.

M.

13. dowen05

dowen05 What's a Dremel?

Say Yes To Gears Two For Computer

:read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read: :read:

Say Yes To Gears Two For Computer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Two easy to pirate? Hands up who looked for a demo of gears of war (1) :clap: Hand up who had the thought of trying to download the game illegally :clap: Hands up who say the size and though it cant be that good a game to wait that long for it and decided to play it around a friends of there Xbox 360, now how loved the game????? :thumb: Now who went to the shop and played £30 and went home and kicked arse online (with a mouse and keyboard!) :rock:

Gears Two coming ............... adds ................. trailers .............. It’s here!!!!! wait that for the Xbox....... hmmmm where’s the computers one ............ hmmmm can’t see it ........... go ask NO GREARS FOR COMPUTER!!!!!!!!! WHAT OMG :wallbash: they draw us in with number one then spit us out and want us to buy a 360 WTF :wallbash:
    Go online see why it because “Here's the problem right now; the person who is savvy enough to want to have a good PC to upgrade their video card, is a person who is savvy enough to know bit torrent to know all the elements so they can pirate software. Therefore, high-end videogames are suffering very much on the PC”

So give up go around your friends to play it and find out for dip stick of a friend went down to the market a paid £5 for the full game COPYED!!!! And is playing it on their 360!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wallbash:

Say yes to gears for the computer

14. Chappy

Chappy What's a Dremel?

Gears of War 2 Only Earned 5 Million $ Worldwide, Unlike Gears of War 1 that Released in both PC & XboX Earned a Whopping 11 Million $, Whats the Problem not Releasing it on PC?

15. Chappy

Chappy What's a Dremel?

I Guess I'll Have no Choice but to Make a PC Version MYSELF! I'll Cook an XBOX 360 GoW2 on PC, Although I Don't Know How?

16. gavomatic57

gavomatic57 Minimodder

Simple, just reskin GRAW, it's pretty much the same but GRAW was far less predictable and occasionally exciting.

The earnings discrepancy is down to the hype surrounding GOW1 - it was hyped to hell and 360 owners struggling to find good games to play all went out and bought it - I was one of them - pre-ordered it. Unfortunately it is not until you play it you realise you have been had and you avoid the sequel. Run to concrete freeway divider, duck down, shoot until you hear the bong....move to the next concrete freeway divider conveniently placed in front of a spawn point. Rinse, lather, repeat. Yawn.

17. PCvsConsole

PCvsConsole What's a Dremel?

"Here's the problem right now; the person who is savvy enough to want to have a good PC to upgrade their video card, is a person who is savvy enough to know bit torrent to know all the elements so they can pirate software. Therefore, high-end videogames are suffering very much on the PC"
    This guy is a fool, how easy is it to mod an xbox 360 and download the game PIRACY is not the issue its charging people to not only pay for the game but to play it online and to even download maps, ect and pc gamers simply wont do that its just to expensive and ridiculous id rather play and use user created maps, mods then pay these video game hustlers! so in other words there saying to play our game you cant be smart in that area or a "GAMER" or have knowledge of bit torrenting unless you want to downgrade to our POORLY made console(also he complaining about video cards whats this guys deal?) EPIC GAMES just for allowing this guy to try to make ******** into sense and sell it i will NEVER PAY FOR ANOTHER ONE OF YOUR GAMES EVER!!! if the game was that good and online with your own master serverlist there would be no multiplayer piracy (atleast on your master server) other than me modding an xbox 360 and getting both features for free???? you guys R DuMMM

18. lambrinigirl77

lambrinigirl77 What's a Dremel?

gears of war 2/3 for pc?

it pains me to say this but it sooo irritates me that you can get away with taking gears of war 1 out on pc(which was very addictive) and cant take 2 and 3 out on pc i hate xbox and would prefer gears on the pc i do not think you can justify taking gears 1 out on pc and not the rest and i am pretty sure you have means and ways to stop piracy for them also.

Tags: Add Tags