1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Portable downlaoads to USBs - please help

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by lisa_uk, 4 Feb 2009.

1. lisa_uk

lisa_uk What's a Dremel?

I have downloaded a word document (about 54kb) to a memory stick (free type you get from franchied computer shops) from a PC connected to a server.

I then plugged this in at home and amended the document the same day. The USB has not been used since.

IS there any way I can demonstrate what has been downloaded onto the USB from the server?
    Is this the type of thing an IT/tech company can find out?
    I have the USB but not access to the server/server it was downloaded from.

Please assist asap as I am unsure as to how to go about finding out this info and need to do so asap.

Also if the responses are going to be really technical please bare in mind i dont know a lan from a wan!!!!!!

:D

2. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

I guess i need to ask why you need this infomation.

the document properties, (right click properties) will show the created, modified and accessed dates and times of the file.

3. lisa_uk

lisa_uk What's a Dremel?

I down loaded my CV from the work machine to take home as i did not have it. I edited it on the USB and home PC and then overwrote it. My work are saying they need me to prove what it was my CV not something else.

I have just sent it of to a data recovery company to see if they can produce a report of the movement on the USB, what has been taken off and put on etc.

Do you think this was a good idea?

4. DaveVader

DaveVader Fast Action Response Team

If they're asking/concerned it's their problem and should deal with it themselves instead of getting you to deal with it.
    Hand 'em over the memory stick and say, "here you go, have a look".

5. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Thats not always the case, if the company have rules and regs about the computer use then you can be in trouble unless you can prove otherwise.

6. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Guilty until proven not guilty you mean?

7. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

exactly

8. lisa_uk

lisa_uk What's a Dremel?

That is why i thought to be proactive and get this sorted rather than sit back and get scr**ed over. They have a policy where it says that i cannot download in excess of 300kb (the file was 54kb) but am not sure if this means about downloading things like games from the internet onto the PC/Server.

The whole IT policy thing is a bit unclear to me, bit of a minefield!!!!!

I have asked a company who deal with data retreival (quite a big one i believe) to provide me with information as to the size, properties etc dates of the documents which are on there and/or have been on there in the past.

Do you think there is anything specific i should have requested or terminology I should have used to get what I am after - or even if what I am after is possible?

9. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

Seems a very expensive step to take, or are you being accused of stealing your company's secrets? Somebody seems to be over-reacting. :confused:

10. lisa_uk

lisa_uk What's a Dremel?

yes to all three of the above, hence the urgency to demonstrate it is not true.

11. 13eightyfour

13eightyfour Formerly Titanium Angel

Surely even if you do get all the information from the usb stick arent they just going to question whether the drive youve shown was the drive used?

12. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

does this company not keep logs?!

RwD