1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Windows 7 editions revealed

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 4 Feb 2009.

1. jim48509

jim48509 What's a Dremel?

Better yet, they could ditch the whole concept and go back to Windows XP era licensing - “Home” and “Professional.”

+1

2. Jenny_Y8S

Jenny_Y8S Guest

So it's exactly the same as Vista then? No real suprise seeing as windows 7 is an uber service pack for vista (Say it like you see it)

Vista Ultimate already has limited availability. Why? Because at retail it's so damn expensive not many retailers stock it, and if they do they won't stock as many copies as they do premium. And how many rigs do you see out there that come with ultimate as a standard option?

For me Vista ultimate is worthwhile for it's drive imaging backup tools, Pro has that too of course but you lose media center.

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

There are less editions to select that what you think.
    Actually there are only 2 version! Crazy? nope.. please let me explain why.

Windows 7 Starter editions existed in Vista and in XP!
    Proof: http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/newsroom/winxp/...
    It is for emerging markets

Windows 7 Home Basic is also for emerging market... (like the above one) so we won't even see it.

Enterprise edition is for group licensing.. so we won't see it.

Now we have 3 editions:
    - Home Premium
    - Professional
    - Ultimate

The problem with Vista layout is that the Buisnes edition was more expensive than Home Premium, for an extange of feature. Based on the article, the Professional edition will NOT replace features but add them. So the layout it:

- Win7 Home Premium (XP Home edition + Media Center + tablet PC in one + more)
    - Win7 Professional (XP Pro + Media Center + tablet PC in one + more)

What is is to be mad about?

4. GoodBytes

BTW, what is with people saying that XP had only 2 editions.... it has way more:
    - XP Home
    - XP Media Center (2003/2005)
    - XP Prefessional
    - XP Tablet PC
    - XP Starter edition
    - XP for Embedded Systems
    - XP Embedded (getting confusing here)
    - XP Pro 64-bit (I put that in because you can do the upgrade form 32 to 64 like Vista and Win7)

Sounds fun, which one will you pick?

Last edited: 4 Feb 2009
  5. Er-El

Er-El Minimodder

LOL, yes suddenly people seem to have forgotten about that.

Well I feel Win 7 should come in just 3 different versions:

Home
    Professional
    Enterprise - same thing as business with a volume license agreement but a nicer name.

6. Awoken

Awoken Gazing at the stars

There should be two pared down editions:
    Home
    Business
    with optional modules such as drive encryption, windows media player, paint etc That can be paid for and downloaded if they are wanted. The days of bloatware need to end.

7. zimbloggy

zimbloggy Genius Extraordinaire

I have been a loyal fan of Microsoft for a long time. I have tried the Windows 7 beta and it's fantastic.

But, this further confirms my growing dislike for their sneaky end-user hating business tactics. Why can't they just have 1 version, 1 price? It's not like it costs them any extra to include the features! In fact, when you install Vista, you can upgrade to a higher version on the same disc!

8. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

Oh joy! A new windows for me...
    >.>

I doubt I will bother with Win 7 unless it has some sort of new improved graphics enhancement (IE DirectX XX blah blah). If it would be like WinXP and Vista, on the DX side, that would be just insane...

9. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

Where's the Windows 7 *iss everyone off edition?

10. GoodBytes

Direct X11 should comes to Vista, with SP2 I beleive

11. <A88>

<A88> Trust the Computer

This really isn't the big deal everyone's making it out to be, although it's funny watching 1/2 the blogging world go ballistic over it and the other 1/2 working out what's really going on.

Basically, most peoples' first instinct is to ask "why can't they just take the OSX approach and make a single version for everyone?!". Sounds logical on paper, but Microsoft have close to 90% of the world market and Apple have 3%- fact is, Windows doesn't have a specific market whereas Macs are higher-end consumer systems. Therefore, the only way Microsoft can ensure you can still get your $300 laptops is to make a cheaper version of its product and thus cutting out features to justify the price drop. If they try and supply the same version for every PC, they'll have to charge a standard price instead of giving the option of below-average or slightly-above-average options. Make sense?

As many have pointed out, we've only really got 2 options when it comes to buying a PC, and unlike Vista they follow a much more ordinary hierarchy- thus the professional version isn't a MCE-less suit-and-tie only SKU and caters for the slightly more advanced users. Those of us who really care about the enterprise features (and know what they actually do) will go out of our way to get Ultimate anyway, and removing it from the OEMs' grasp is a wise idea.

12. wafflesomd

wafflesomd What's a Dremel?

Are there any reasons why I should move to Vista or 7? Or do they still all do the same thing as XP, but with a new price tag.

13. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

to quote MS - because no one seems to care about actually .. you know.. refereing them

from http://www.microsoft.com/presspass/features/2009/feb09/02-03Win7SKU-QA.mspx

Seriously, why do people care if there are more than 2 versions. It just makes OEM PCs cheaper for those that don't want anything more than a box to surf the net and read email.

14. Buzzons

Buzzons Minimodder

Also

Yes, there are many many reasons.

They do the same as XP (As XP did the same of 2k..) but they do more. The "more" is both behind the scenes (Better security, better drivers, better caching, better disk IO scheduling, better power managment) and infront of you (better UI, better work flow, better thought out options)

Win7 is built on Vista - same basic kernel used just with more tweaks and patches. XP to Vista is an entirly new kernel just as XP was from NT4.

15. Er-El

Er-El Minimodder

With 7 you can now uninstall those software - so your wish has been granted.

16. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Ok, so what's the big deal?

This is how the system has always been since win2000.

What I find a bit ironic, yet sad, is that first people complain that MSOS come with lots of crap that nobody needs. They also don't want to pay for stuff they don't need.

MS responds with making different versions for different user groups, and what happens? People whine about this too!

I have seen all the versions of vista in active use, and I think they fit their specific markets very well. The Win7 scheme is about the same, but with different names. IMO it would have been better to keep the same names Vista used.

I'm not sure why I bother to write this, though. The ones that already hate MS for some reason will continue to do this. The ones that understand what's going on will already know what I'm talking about. ;)

edit: Oh, and the Win7 system is slightly better as you don't have to choose between two versions that have different functionality. Better verions just add stuff, and doesn't remove anything. :)

17. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I too, simply don't understand why anyone cares. It completely makes sense IMO, perhaps less choices wouldn't hurt, but what's wrong with choice?

Limited availability of ultimate seems odd, but I'll be using it anyway so I don't care, or maybe I'll use Enterprise just to be different - gogo TechNet!

Last edited: 4 Feb 2009
  18. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Although I agree it's an odd move to offer 6 flavours, I can't imagine it would make anyone consider OSX instead.

19. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

WIndows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7, all have about the same amount of variations, this isnt new, are people just that forgetful??? shesh...

20. leexgx

leexgx CPC hang out zone (i Fix pcs i do )

UK

for the most part its only home prem and ultimate that users will buy (Disk/oem pack not reatail you have to be stuped to pay £100-150 for an box with geen or black on it), users who buy PCs form shop will buy what ever comes with the pc but home basic Will come with pcs that are low spec still that you buy from shops
    pro will only be needed for small to med companies with an Domain server

when you get an computer from OEM (acer) some of them are useing vista basic (4gb ram 2ghz c2d ATI HDMI) on computers that should be coming with home prem

most 1gb ram or less systems seem to get home basic most the time with some giveing home prem from time to time,
    systems with 2gb ram and an None 945 intel video cards norm would have home prem,
    ultimate you never see unless the system is more then £1000 norm (i have Never seen an ultimate system in the last 2 years of fixing pcs apart from my own pc)

Tags: Add Tags