1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News HP launches Mini Mi Linux

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 5 Feb 2009.

1. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Same reason you like using linux - you're a masochist :)

But seriously - note the tendency of the linux crowd to immediately call me an idiot, having absolutely no knowledge of my background. The Ubuntu install I'm referring to is almost vanilla with the exception of the compiz setup, so any problems are none of my doing.

About the only conclusion I can come to with regard to the difference in experience is simply that the linux crowd is creatively leaving things out. Whereas on windows you'd get point by point instructions, after which things would generally start working, on linux you'd probably get similar point by point instructions, but with a sort of automatic understanding that there's really a bunch more stuff to do. Each instruction will be followed by a couple of hours of random text file hackery, kernel recompilation, tweaking of build environments, downloading source code and a million and one other tasks. All I can assume is that this is now so normal to the linux crowd, they are so used to the inconvenience and pain, that it just goes without saying. One, two, miss a few, ninety-nine...

2. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Just to put the icing on the cake, my eee-owning friend is sitting next to me right now thrashing the keyboard and using intemperate language because of the following sequence of events:

- Connect USB hard disk (which mounts only because I made manual changes to ensure it does)
    - Something called F-spot opens
    - If F-spot isn't killed fairly quickly, it makes the computer unusable, forcing a reboot, which is what just happened; the drumbeat of Ubuntu coming back up coincided with my typing that semicolon.

Brilliant, guys. Just brilliant. No bugs. Everything's perfect!

3. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Maybe I should create a thread named "Linux" where you can continue trolling Phil? Because you seem to be getting the habit of showing up in every Linux based thread and spill your 'facts'...

Your knowledge or background doesn't matter, my education is totally opposite of ICT, yet I seem to be doing ok in the Linux world. If you just can't accept the fact that you seem to be the only one that is having those problems, then that does indeed say more about you then Linux. Or you could be constructive and open bugreports (decent ones), and see that developers DO fix bugs. Certainly the 'bugs' you claim, since they are kernel related. I've seen bugs of mine being fixed in under 1 hour.

So can you now "plug it" and stop trolling threads?

4. nicae

nicae What's a Dremel?

Very pretty GUI by HP. Would have to try to make a final call, though.

My mom got Ubuntu/XP double-boot on her laptop a while ago, so it should be v7 Ubuntu... And I must admit it's very nice! It got me excited up to the point I really want a crotchtop (much better name than netbook) with Ubuntu 8 (9?) and OpenOffice. I'll likely get the next generation, though - Hopefully getting a bit more power and battery time. I wonder if VIA will spit out some products by then...

Oh, and before I forget: Why desire DVD playback on crotchtops if they lack DVD drives in the first place?

5. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

If I sent a link to this discussion to a few of my former fellow students we'd see flame wars started as back in the early 90s on IRC.
    I am a Windows user, always was and it'll most likely stay that way until MS or earth explodes. I have some Linux experience (Red Hat, Fedora [I know they're basically the same...], Ubuntu, KDE,...) but I like Windows because it does everything I want while being easy to use. My Linux experience tells me there is something out there that I could use if I ever feel the need and it would work too, with a bit of fiddeling involved.
    I just don't get you, Phil. How can you be so arrogant/ignorant at all? I mean, seriously, you don't like it, we got it. But your problems have been solved more or less long ago.

I still fancy a netbook but I'll wait for 7 Netbook Edition. ;)
    Sorry for the rant hijack.

6. War-Rasta

War-Rasta What's a Dremel?

Not really... It used to be like that but it has changed quite a lot. It's not common for me to have to do any of these things. I've never had to manually edit a config file and specially not recompile a kernel. Installing applications used to be the main problem to me but almost everything the average user needs/wants is in the Ubuntu repositories and installation is as easy as clicking on a checkbox and if you don't find it in the repo there's probably a Deb package for it that you just need to double click on.

7. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Oh well, silly me - I'm clearly making it all up.

Since the samba networking works so well, I won't have to sneakernet this USB drive over to the XP box that runs the TV.

In fact, since the display management works so well, I'll just plug the eee directly into the TV.

Only I won't, because neither of those things work. Except they do, obviously, because Glider says they do. Except they patently obviously don't. Oh dear, this Linux thing is terribly confusing, isn't it, with all these horrid loops in logic and causality?

P

8. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

Indeed you do seem to be having problems with simple logic. Maybe thats your linux's problem.

9. StooJ

StooJ What's a Dremel?

Samba must be doing something right. Microsoft hired some samba developers during vista's development. Seemingly Microsoft needed someone to teach them how their networking stack worked.

Incidentally, I think Ubuntu's popularity is your fault Guilder - didn't you introduce a large percentage of B-T readers to it? :D

10. fr500

fr500 What's a Dremel?

11. FaSMaN

FaSMaN What's a Dremel?

Phil Rhodes, if your linux pc is giving you so much "hassles" why not format it install xp and move on, instead of sitting on the forum moaning that your the only one with these "problems" or do you enjoy trolling too much to move on to something els?

I'm a linux user for the last 8 years and to be honest I'm very happy with it currently using Fedora 9,but I understand that linux isn't for every one, but In my opinion its better than vista/xp in many areas.

12. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

It's not my linux PC, it belongs to a friend of mine, the poor unfortunate.

And of course I enjoy it, I'm not going to spend my time typing stuff up here if it wasn't a grin! There's nothing quite like watching a linux user go "yeah, but, no, but, yeah, but, no, but..."

13. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

But they don't. They just tell you what has been fixed already or how you could fix it. If only you'd listen...

14. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Telling me it's fixed doesn't actually make it fixed, though, does it?

15. nicae

nicae What's a Dremel?

Oh, maybe that's why you can't manage to fix it.
    PS: You have friends?:lol:

16. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Why should I need to fix it? It's not broken, according to Glider!

P

17. Glider

Glider /dev/null

Wow, I'm popular... I'll send you an autograph Phil, then you can drewl over it instead of trolling posts...

Because it is fixed, doesn't mean that it is fixed on your system... And even then, with your obvious superiority it will be broken after you touch it, just because Linux hates your guts!

Maybe you should send your 'friend' to someone who actually knows what he's doing? But then again, don't we all have 'friends' that come across things like these... Just like I have 'friends' that have 'friends' who know 'friends' that went to the moon, or something like that...

18. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Really? Well, I never! Are you sure?!

Tags: Add Tags