1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cooling Not enough thermalpaste

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DorkSterr, 5 Feb 2009.

1. davidfield375

davidfield375 Hardware Mods

I realize that thermal paste has little tiny pieces of metal, what I dont under stand is why less is more?? Surely if you place more thermal paste on, its going to keep the CPU/GPU cooler for longer? :s

2. DorkSterr

DorkSterr Hakuna Matata

Okay something weird just happened, after adding more thermal paste onto the CPU and heat sink (Lowered my temps by 10*C) cores 1&2 are the same but cores 3&4 are 10*C off 1&2 now why is this? Before when my temps were really high they were all exactly the same.

3. KillerLettuce

KillerLettuce custom title

even coating on the cpu? I prefer to put a small bead on the processor and then spread it out evenly and thin. That is a large difference though...

Thermal compound does not cool the processor- it aids in the heat transfer between the processor and the heat sink.

the surfaces are not perfectly smooth, and if they were butted up against each other there would be small pockets of air, and the heat would not flow freely. Thermal compound fills in all the inconsistencies so heat can be transferred away from the cpu more effectively.

If you use too much, it will act as an insulator and heat wont flow through it.

4. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

well considering that CPUs tend to have so called "hot spots" in the core temp. its not unusual for them to be off but i must agree 10*C does seem rather large... unless for some reason there is a process on your rig that was presently taking more usage from one core rather than another? i'm certainly no expert but i would assume that could account for atleast some of it.

well im not sure how much you know about the stuff, and i dont mean to talk down if you already know this :p, but the idea behind thermal paste is that you are filling as much of the very very small gaps between the material with a conductive component. This is, as one could guess, why lapping helps as much as it does. Your making the surface of your heat sink as "smooth" as possible... such that when it makes contact with your CPU you are maximizing the amount of material that is touching, and there for maximizing the conduction from your CPU to a heat distributor. The thermal paste is making this process even better but on the off hand... adding to much could cause a decrease in conduction if the layer is too thick. I'm sure their is math behind it, but quite honestly its 2am and im not about to do out the heat transfer calculations to prove why :D

hope that helps, lol

5. DorkSterr

DorkSterr Hakuna Matata

Last edited: 7 Feb 2009
  6. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

You still need thermal paste but you probably won't need as much. Also 600 & 1000 should serve you fine. The purpose of lapping isn't to achieve a mirror finish but to flatten out the surface.

7. DorkSterr

DorkSterr Hakuna Matata

God damn it! The only place where they sell sandpaper sheets (600 & 1000) are online I cannot get it in my local hardware store they only sell 85Grit and 100Grit. Tell me guys does this online retailer look legit http://www.sandpaper.ca/default.php?cPath=168&osCsid=a6fcd783fa9d9adfadd5ce25d1c0d292

P.s their minimum online order is $50CAd so I will have to buy a lot of sandpaper sheets lol I'm thinking 220grit, 400grit, 600grit, 800grit, 1000grit, 1500grit, 2000grit, & 2500grit a total of $50...

8. sixfootsideburns

sixfootsideburns modeteer

you could always try an auto-parts store for a wet sand style sand paper. if they have any it is way more liekly to be high grit, sorry if that doesnt makes sense someone is a ltitle drunk, lol

good luck! :p

mvagusta likes this.
  9. DorkSterr

DorkSterr Hakuna Matata

It doesnt matter what kind of sandpaper it is right? It can be Wet-Dry Sheets, Premium Sheets, Emery Sheets?

10. KillerLettuce

KillerLettuce custom title

I'm no expert on lapping, but I would get something that can be used wet, because sanding works a lot better with water/oil.

I would also recommend finishing with 1000+ grit. 800 seems rough to me and it can't hurt to be a little smoother. It's just take more time.

11. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

F**K NO!!

When lapping even a heatsink do not use any lube like water or oil, it will soak into the heatsink material believe it or not, with water its not so bad, but oil god no!

Ebay is your best bet, you can grab a nice little refill kit from 200 grit ranging to 1200.

I lapped down to 1.5micron because all the papers were sat in front of me in my kit. I had the papers for finishing some plexi parts along time ago.

Grab a can of compressed air, that ment for electronics (this means its been filtered to remove any oil transfered from the compressor.)

Something flat, like a sheet of glass.

Then work your way up the grades of paper, cleaning off with tack cloth and air.

If you lap the Q6600 like i have, it takes a hell of a job to remove the nickel plate, and any concave surface. Mine isn't perfect but its alot better than what it was like!

[​IMG]

There is a few scratches, just teaches me not to wipe on my jeans! :wallbash:

Next i rubbed thermal paste into the surface, to haze it same for the HSF so the surfaces are prepaired. And added the smallest spot of paste just before mounting.

12. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

hmm all this talk of lapping is getting me thinking. are there many dangers associated? is it easy to just fush up your cpu?

13. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

As long as you keep the work area dry and dust generation to a minimium its fine.

Alot of CoreDuo's are stupidly concave, and i think most trues are aswell, which means smack bang in the middle is a massive air pocket, (when i mean massive you couldn't measure it with a ruler)

I say fix it! lol!

14. DorkSterr

DorkSterr Hakuna Matata

Lol what! That's crazy!

So basically it doesn't matter what kind sandpaper sheet you use as long as you keep your sandpaper sheet free of dust right?

P.s I'll be using a wet-dry Sandpaper sheet hope it will do the job.

15. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Basically 'sandpaper' changes the medium of material as grit size decreases, so rough papers like 80 and 100 as actually sand and glue, some times glass.

As you get into the higher numbers like 400 upwards its actually aluminium oxide.

You best bet is to try some automotive suppliers for wet and dry papers which is used in smoothing car paint layers.

Ebay is your friend aswell, just search for 'lapping kits'

Oh and after my rebuild (still got memory problems) running Prime95 CPU @ stock 2.4GHz fan speed 500RPM (still learning bios options, as fan speed ranage is 500-1700RPM)

Load temp 48 degree C, which considering the above, is awesome! Using a Akasa 966 here, which is lapped to 1200 as it seemed to me that Akasa used a wire brush in the factory! after a quick lap with 240 grit it looked better!

16. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

Dry lapping is just asking for frustration. I've never heard of copper/aluminum/nickel absorbing water during the lapping process. In fact copper doesn't react at all with water so I"m not sure where that statement is coming from.

I'd highly recommend the use of water, otherwise the sandpaper is going to clog and it will be a hassle and waste of sandpaper.

17. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

your willing to wet sand a CPU, i was mainly going on about oils, maybe i should edit it.

18. JaredC01

JaredC01 Hardware Nut

My Core2Duo is VERY concave... I put a thin layer of AS5 on my CPU, then put on my Noctua, and pulled it back off to check coverage. The heatsink didn't even touch the thermal paste. I'm not terribly happy with the amount of thermal paste I had to use, but at the same time, it's not too much.

I may end up lapping my CPU as well as my Noctua before too long.

Surprising how lax Intel really is on their IHS...

19. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Why should they care, they say to use there stock HSF with its bubble gum thermal pad, which is to tolerence.

Its only us nutters that feel the conplusion to overclock it straight out the box and then complain when temps are high! lol!

20. DorkSterr

DorkSterr Hakuna Matata

My Q6600 is messed up or maybe its my heatsink, temps are 10*C off on IDLE :wallbash: and my GPU is as hot as the sun.

http://img18.imageshack.us/my.php?image=63187324wz3.jpg