1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Text link ads

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by Tim S, 10 Feb 2009.

?

What do you think about text ads?

1. I don't mind them and I might find them useful

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I'll accept them if it means even more content

39 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. I would block them and blacklist all other adverts on bit-tech

82 vote(s)
    32.8%
  4. I hate them and would visit the site less as a result

129 vote(s)
    51.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Totally, utterly, completely agree. "Intelli"... uh... what? Nothing "intelligent" about offering me products or services I don't require in a manner that only serves to irritate. If anything, it'll only make me avoid the product, company or site - dependent on my ability to do without said product, I can't for example, not buy milk or not run an OS - that is featured or the advertisement appears on.

2. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

For me the same as above really, and i voted the worst option. These ads interfere with the actual content of the site itself, which is usually the only "safe" zone to click without getting popups and BUY ME!!! ZOMG!! ads. I understand the need for ads and the hunger for revenue, but please concider that the reason we all put up with ads is that the content lures us in. If the content then becomes an ad...

Other then me reading less of the actual content, you guys would also go downhill in my esteem. Tell your "overlords" at Dennis that they are on a slippery slope here (just one per page, are you kidding me?), and that they will inevitably lose a large portion of the community appeal this site has.

Might i add that building a mod that could one day be featured on this site will be dropped off my to-do list if the article gets abused by these stupid ads.

3. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

NO!

'nuff sed.

4. teamtd11

teamtd11 *Custom User Title*

I don't mind the ads on bit-tech, and i dont have any of them blocked... well i did not i was reading one of the news pages and a advert was empty and i find i have blocked it from another site, Its not showing up there now when i have checked again, but it was nothing related to computer hardware, it was something to do with Obama :confused:

The adverts in text are the worse though :(

5. Jesus

Jesus Son of God

+1.

I will be blocking the text ads sorry

6. Silver51

Silver51 I cast flare!

I don't like banner ads anyway. I white list regular sites, like Bit and web comics because you guys need to be paid for your work, but I will always filter Intellitext ads. No exception. It makes articles difficult to read and makes text a mouse minefield.

Whoever suggested Intellitext ads on Bit should receive a promotion... as captain of the failboat.

Hiren likes this.
  7. Elledan

Elledan What's a Dremel?

I have seen those Intellitext-style ads for years now, and they're one of the primary reasons why I got an ad-blocker for my browser. I can live with a regular (banner-sized) ad or two on a page, but do not touch the content I'm trying to read.

Only thing worse than Intellitext ads are pr0n and 'dating' ads :wallbash:

8. Delphium

Delphium Eyefinity enabled

+2

Voted, even tho I voted for blacklist all, id be much like the above and block text adds.

9. Shuriken

Shuriken same christmas AV for a whole year

+1 for not minding banner ads, but hate the intellitext, there's nothing more annoying than inadvertently putting the mouse cursor over one of those ads and getting an unwanted pop-up.

I find when looking at a new website that if it has intellitext ads I'm much less likely to visit again, and I'm sure I'm not the only one. The ads wouldn't put me off bit now, as I'm already a loyal member, but if I were new to the site as soon as I saw one I'd be a ghost.

10. Blademrk

Blademrk Why so serious?

voted 'I'll accept them if it means even more content', as I don't use ad-blocker (that's option 3 out) & it wouldn't cause me to visit less (there goes option 4).

But they are extremely annoying (especially since they obscure what your're trying to read and you have to actively close them to carry on reading when accidently moused over). Banner ads (preferably non-animated) are much better than unIntelliTXT ads...

11. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

I will block them if your going to waste my time making me click close, or waiting for it to disappear.

12. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I voted that I hate them and would blacklist all other ads on BT.

I won't blacklist ads, but I really hate intelliTXT ads. They tend to pop up when I scroll down a page. Often they also stop the scrolling, and take a while to go away.

They are also distracting when reading text.

If more ads is needed maybe put some more banners at the bottom of pages, or even some small links between forum posts. The latter could look a bit ugly in some cases, but I guess it's a matter of choosing the lesser evil here. Done correctly that could look good, and the advertisers will get about the same "in the face" adverts without deteriorating the content too much.

13. MrWillyWonka

MrWillyWonka Chocolate computers galore!

Well, that sums everything up very well. Well said.

14. Tim S

Tim S OG

Thanks for the feedback so far - I really appreciate you guys being honest. Please keep it coming.

15. crazybob

crazybob Voice of Reason

If it's in the content it should be part of the content. I'm accustomed to reading sites where a mid-text link is going to take me off on an interesting tangent (see Wikipedia or dansdata.com). Intellitext ads break that tradition and are probably more irritating than popups.

I make a habit of whitelisting my favorite sites to help them out, so I currently view all of Bit-Tech's banner ads. If Intellitext ads show up, I'm not going to spend the time to figure out the correct path and add a rule to block just those ads, I'm just going to take the site off the whitelist. Bit-Tech would not be the first site I have done this on.

16. Atomic

Atomic Gerwaff

I would black list the intelli text ads but I leave the banner ads up as they dont get in the way at all.

17. fev

fev Industry Fallout

accept paypal donations instead?
    i'd gladly donate to have a sparkly username... gotta be sparkly though

18. Sir Digby

Sir Digby The Supprising Adventures

I also hate them - distracting and slow down my computer as they open, and are very rarely relevant to me.

19. mikeuk2004

mikeuk2004 What you Looking at Fool!

+1

Just no. When I come across a website using those type of ads I leave because it seems like a adodgy site if it needs to con users into showing up a popup. I click on them sometimes in error thinking they are weblinks but how wrong i am, and then spend ages closing some as they refuse to disappear.

20. pendragon

pendragon I pickle they

this is a FAR better idea than using those in-article ads.. ugh, I can't stand those.. it makes everything hard to read and is annoying :wallbash:. I really hope you don't use them at all.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.