1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electronics Transparent LCD Screen?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by redders, 10 Feb 2009.

1. redders

redders What's a Dremel?

Anyone know if/where I can buy a transparent LCD screen like the one on the clock pictured below?

[​IMG]

:)

2. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

3. redders

redders What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the link - that's definitely the kind of thing I'm looking for!

I guess I can't buy anything in 'package' format and would have to get a custom display made.

4. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

Let us know how much the quotation comes to. I would check myself, but I'm in no position to actually buy anything like this right now, and an apporximate price would be good to know.

5. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

All LCDs are transparent, actually. They all have some sort of film on the back to make them easier to read.

A while ago i took apart a working 17" LCD completely. (The while display module). It became a fully functional transparent screen (It had a matte finish, though.)

The problem is that LCDs needs some controllerboards connected to them. The one in the picture is designed for the purpose by having the connections only at the bottom. This is very rare, though. Normally they have one at the top and the bottom, or top and right side on bigger screens.

edit: Where did you find the one in that pic? It looks really nice!

6. redders

redders What's a Dremel?

If you're talking about the pic in my first post, I just googled transparent LCD screens. Somewhere among the millions of pages of people making their monitor screen look transparent by taking a picture of what's behind it, I found this clock.

7. redders

redders What's a Dremel?

Smilodon do you know of any LCD screens that do not have the reflective layer built in when you buy them?

8. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

I'll keep digging about as it sounds like a really interesting principle.. Are we allowed to ask what you have planned for it redders?

9. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Nope. LCD's are pretty easy to take apart, though. I'm not sure about reflective green/gray-ish LCDs. The backing may be painted on. I have never tried to take of the backing. I think I'll have to try that now, though. ;)

10. Stormtrooper

Stormtrooper Shh...

I think you might be able to search for something like "projector" in the project logs. I know I saw somebody use a lot of optics and an LCD screen to make his own projector.

11. redders

redders What's a Dremel?

I have a few ideas of what I could use something like this for. All fan control based. Really it depends on the size and shape of the LCD. ;)

12. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

One potential source might be one of those little display modules that they used to use to put on overhead projectors in school (showing my age here.)
    [​IMG]
    The downside to that is the resolution... for example I picked one up for a projector project and the built in display could only accept up to 640v480 or some such ridiculousness. I haven't taken that project any further, but thought about dismantling an old, higher res LCD screen to try.

13. redders

redders What's a Dremel?

Good idea modminded, I may look into that.

p.s. I still remember those and I'm only 23!

14. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Crikey I remember those to, also remember those old huge wooden projector boxes that took VHS...

Would be really cool if you could turn your case window into a temp, fan speed etc display while still being able to see your components!

15. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

The backing is usually a self-adhesive film. It can be easily peeled off.

16. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

redders, I'm not sure exactly what you are planning, but I've had an idea similar to this as well. I've just not found a suitable project to work it in to. I'll be watching this closely. In fact, I'll let you work out all the details before I commit... :D

17. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Does that mean any old LCD monitor can in theory become a transparent display Nexxo?

18. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

YES... DO IT... DO IT NOW...

19. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

This +1! If you don't do it, I will. :D:rock:

20. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I took one apart today. Turns out that the backing was actually the polarizer film. :duh:

The display was semi transparent when I took of the backlight, but still had a green/yellow-ish color. Taking of the polarizer made it a bit more transparent, but the display doesn't work very well without.

Having that said, this actually indicates that most, if not all backlit displays are almost completely transparent. How transparent do you need it?