1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Text link ads

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by Tim S, 10 Feb 2009.

?

What do you think about text ads?

1. I don't mind them and I might find them useful

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I'll accept them if it means even more content

39 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. I would block them and blacklist all other adverts on bit-tech

82 vote(s)
    32.8%
  4. I hate them and would visit the site less as a result

129 vote(s)
    51.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. UncertainGod

UncertainGod Minimodder

Decent people allow ad's for a site they want to support so drop the attitude.

Hiren likes this.
  2. Rocket733

Rocket733 Austerity - It's the only way

Exactly, I whitelist Bit because they're kind enough to foot the bills so I have someplace to hang out and they do a damn good job of running things. Lots of places I adblock/flashblock (ebay for example) where the ads are annoying. I like google ad-words best, too bad the ad's have changed recently because they have become more annoying and intrusive.

3. Nicb

Nicb Let's discuss among ourselves

"UncertainGod" I agree. Did you read both my post?? I White list BitTech. Thanks for the attack, I did not have attitude, my post was made light unlike the attitude of others. This discussion made me think about the ads on this site. I dont care to take the blow of annoying ADs supporting Myspace, Google, ebay, ect sites and I love surfing the internet clean. But I also want my favorite sites not taken for granted and will support them,....... except the IntelliTXT. :)

4. Tyinsar

Tyinsar 6 screens 1 card since Nov 17 2007

Among the many things I like about BT are two things it doesn't have: pictures in sigs and text link ads.

5. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

huh?

6. Gremlin

Gremlin What's a Dremel?

Couldnt agree more!

I do not mind simple unobtrusive image only advertisements of things related to the site but i draw the line at flashy or obtrusive ads or ads in text im trying to read

To the overlords, if you wish to raise more money (for the site ONLY not for the pockets of dennis or its bottom line) here is a suggestion create a paid membership tier on the forums

Create a members only area and charge a few bucks (i'd pay $5 AUD tops) a month and throw in benefits like a members only section in the forum as well as some kind of tag when you post in the forum on your profile saying your a vip member or supporter etc

And run comps and monthly give aways for them like winning something you've tested that month (so long as it is NOT limited to one country or it'd kill it) it doesn't have to be something major either, a game, a cpu cooler, a usb key etc if cost is an issue or you can't get something from a manufacturer as a freebie

Im SURE you would get members signing up which would give you guys an added solid revenue stream for very little extra work once set up and running

So long as the powers that be don't decide to take away or change how the forum or site is already and make that a members only perk (that would kill what makes it so great) or decide to hike up fees for more profit and get greedy about it

You should really look into it, im sure many of us would sign up without hesitation

Hiren likes this.
  7. yeknom

yeknom What's a Dremel?

Banner ads, especially on BT, are extremely well placed. Thus, I don't really mind them. However, those text ads get in the way of reading stuff. I wouldn't mind another banner ad, but putting even one per page would be pretty obnoxious

8. Gravemind123

Gravemind123 avatar not found

I'd take another banner ad or even two per page over these. My forum visits have gone down due to school and other time constraints, but the lack of text ads is why bit-tech is still on my list of tech sites to visit. They make the site look cheap and with not spending as much time browsing I don't consistently go to Tom's Hardware and Daily Tech, as they both have a ton of them. I hope you reconsider using them and add another banner or two to support more content.

9. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

I have no-script and ad-block running and I will not unblock Intellitext or doubleclick, Double click had those infected ads a while back so I won't unblock it. I know you screen all ads before they go up, but I won't risk it as other sites are not as careful as you are. Most of the ads I see are good and they don't annoy me. It is a shame most are UK only as I have clicked through to some sites and wished I could buy it.

I love the site and the quality of content has always been excellent and this is supported by the ad revenue.

One suggestion would be to have ads that link to the manufacturers site with more information about the product, I find that some of the current ads that link to their sites lack enough information about the product and I have to do a Google search to find out more (And usually find out it's not available in this country)

EDIT: On the subject of banner ads, you could fit more down the side of the page, especially in the forums, I wouldn't mind having a few more just make sure they are plain images rather than Flash as this won't slow the browser down. I have the threads per page at 100 so having a few more down the side wouldn't hamper me. Maybe have it tied to the threads per page and add extra side banners for those of us who have the bandwidth to load a 100 post thread page.

10. Da_Rude_Baboon

Da_Rude_Baboon What the?

Intellitext adds are the cancer of the internet and should be eradicated tbh. That bouncing pink be internet add is bloody annoying too.

Hiren likes this.
  11. Perforated

Perforated What's a Dremel?

Aye, IntelliTXT basically ARE pop-ups. I don't think people really hover their cursor over a word, however well it may be demarcated, thinking "Ooh! I really would like to know what ads might be tenuously related to 'servers' today!"

I've always loved this site's community feel, and the way it seems run to cater to the users - as well as the way the staff come across as users themselves. Ads like IntelliTXT really do sour that, as they're plainly money over user experience. They make a site look grabby.

I really don't mind banner ads - hell, when working with a designer on another site I listed this one as a good example how i'd like them slotted in without leaving a sour taste! I only use a desktop to browse, so even the flash ads don't usually bother me (although there was one for Resistance or something a while back... expanded to 4X size on mouseover, THAT was annoying).

IntelliTXT would put me off. Where now I read articles that really don't affect me just because I like the writing style, these ads would really cut down on my casual interest - they make rowsing seem more like a chore, you shouldn't be concentrating on where your mouse cursor wanders whilst trying to absorb the information within a page!

It may be worth considering that reduced casual reading would dramatically cut down on the views of regular ads as people load fewer pages.

I don't game, I come here for hardware and case mods, but enjoy reading the columns, blog, and plenty of other incidental bits just because you guys do a good job, and it's plain enjoyable to read. Please, don't take away from that.

12. Garside

Garside What's a Dremel?

I appreciate more than most the requirement for financing through advertisements but felt compelled to say that I absolutely despise this form of it. It's crude, intrusive and ugly. Nothing is more distracting than reading an article and having a advert pop into your face, so annoying!

13. Tris

Tris What's a Dremel?

those ads would be alot more reasonable if they only actually showed while the pointer was on the word. The fact that they activate from your pointer drifting across them then sit there covering what you were reading until you physically close it is extremely annoying to me.

14. AndyDEL

AndyDEL What's a Dremel?

Have to say, hope they don't become a new addition. :(

15. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

++

16. Whalemeister

Whalemeister is so hot right now!

<- another hater here

really intrusive seeing as they pop open the very instant your pointer goes anywhere near it. If you could get a 1/2 - 1 second delay on them opening up they would be easier to live with.

Also they seem to advertise very random things that have almost no relation to the word that activates them.

17. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

voted. I absolutely hate them, and they're one of the reasons I abandoned another computer forum.

18. Stuey

Stuey You will be defenestrated!

What the heck, you already started using these blasted ads!

19. Jipa

Jipa Avoiding the "I guess.." since 2004

Turned off adblock and noscript just to see how the example page looks w/o any blocking and pretty much ROFL'd. I'm truely anal when it comes to advertising, sure they keep sites alive, but I just can't stand them. Anyway when there has to be ads then I'd say normal banners are the lears bad solution, flashy animations and popups being the worst. Plain text with no popups while hovering over it is OK to me as well.

20. ch424

ch424 Design Warrior

I just saw one too.

Well done on selling out to dennis, bit-tech.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.