1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress The Mineral Oil PC - 3/24/2011 - More leaks :(

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by legoman666, 29 Jan 2009.

1. sortableturnip

sortableturnip What's a Dremel?

All of the work you have done so far is fantastic!

One question though: Would it be more feasible to put the radiators above the mineral oil chamber? That way, the weight is at the bottom, which would put less stress on the brackets and make it more stable (less top heavy). Also, since the hotter mineral oil would rise to the top, make it easier to cool?

2. Odin Eidolon

Odin Eidolon What's a Dremel?

seems like a good idea to me.

this one is gonna be one of the most heavy case of the world :D

3. legoman666

legoman666 Beat to fit, paint to match.

Yes, that would be the ideal design. I struggled when I designed the general layout. The problem is that the cables coming from the motherboard have to go in the top of the case. My intent is to make the motherboard tray semi-removable like this:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Using a drawer slide similar to this. The top aluminum portion is going to be on hinges so I can pull the slide out. I wouldn't be able to do this if the radiators were on top.

4. sortableturnip

what about an opening in the back a la the SilverStone Raven RV01:

[​IMG]

You could make the tubing from the radiators to the mineral oil chamber have QDC's (Quick disconnect connectors)

Last edited: 10 Feb 2009
  5. legoman666

Yes, that is the plan. However, the cables all still come out of the "top" of the motherboard.

6. sortableturnip

Having it on the bottom has its advantages as well...keeps the build simple. The only way I can see keeping the radiators up top and making the motherboard semi-removable would be to either have the radiators on the side/back and have the input/output at the top or put the radiators on top and have the enclosure on top removable or hinged so that you can access the mobo easily. Might be more trouble than its worth to build it that way.

Man, I wish I was good at using CAD programs, could show you pics of what I mean...

7. legoman666

Someone needs to make a mineral oil cooled computer similar to how a transformer is designed.

[​IMG]
    Like this. Transformers use natural convection to keep the oil cool. This particular transformer is made for 100% passive operation.

[​IMG]
    I got a shot of the stuff we (the utility I work for) use in transformers. Here's some data I looked up on it, thought other folks might find it interesting:
    MSDS Sheet: http://www.equivashellmsds.com/Display_MSDS.asp?ID=202481
    Specifications: http://www.nttworldwide.com/docs/diala-ax.pdf

I need to get myself a drum of it. :D

Edit: Sweet, I asked the dude if I could buy 10 gallons of this stuff: http://cgi.ebay.com/Shell-Diala-HFX...re-Resist_W0QQitemZ230315732658QQcmdZViewItem That would be awesome.

Last edited: 11 Feb 2009
  8. AFX

AFX "Bling" Silver Mountain 2

subscribed!

9. sortableturnip

10. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

You could build your computer case like that transformer. You just need some copper pipe and an *ssload of 90 degree elbows and tees. You could probably solder the whole mess into a steel box easily.

11. legoman666

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Little side project I'm working on :D

Dual P3 933Mhz, 256mb PC600 Rambus, Voodoo 5 5500 AGP with the intent of playing all of the old school games I missed ~2000. I have these games in the list:
    Baldur's Gate II
    Deus Ex
    Gothic
    Grim Fandango
    Half Life
    Icewind Dale
    Max Payne
    Myth
    No One Lives Forever
    Planescape: Torment
    Quake 3
    Red Alert
    System Shock 2
    Thief - The Dark Project
    Tribes

Should be awesome! I just need a case for the beast... Weird thing, the bios on this ~10 year old board supports the mouse (USB no less) and has drop down menus. WTF.

12. NZ_mod_man

NZ_mod_man What's a Dremel?

Very, very, interesting. I'll have to keep an eye on this one. ;)

Subscribed!

13. tominated

tominated What's a Dremel?

great idea with that transformer ol stuff. looking forward to see how this goes. let's hope it's a decent colour too

14. Odin Eidolon

some old games are still way better than new ones to me. nothing is better than Monkey Island :D

15. Loom

Loom What's a Dremel?

You fight like a dairy farmer.

16. legoman666

Something I've been working on...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    LED chaser lights! Weeeee. It took me forever to get that thing wired up. There are two potentiometers, one controls the brightness and the other controls the speed.

Yea, for some reason, the pinout for the 3rd LED doesn't work on the IC. Don't know what's up with that. I bought an extra one, so when I make the final design, I'll use the spare. The plan is to arrange the LEDs in a circle and use the circuit for the HDD activity light. I'll probably stick the LEDs behind some frosted plexiglass to help diffuse the light as well. Should be pretty cool.

Here's the circuit I used: http://www.electronics-lab.com/projects/games/003/index.html
    Until next time...

Last edited: 13 Feb 2009
  17. Odin Eidolon

oh crap, this wasnt in the Italian version :D
    you beat me

18. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

You will want an off switch on the chaser. They will bug the sh*t out of you after 2 minutes.

19. legoman666

Lol, probably.

Good news! I was talking to my boss at work and somehow we got to talking about this project. I explained what I was doing and why (lol, that's harder to explain than you might think) and the subject of mineral oil came up. I mentioned that I found an auction on eBay that was for the same type of stuff that we use but it would cost me ~$200 to get a hold of 10 gallons. Boss man took me to see the guy in charge of construction of new substations and told me to explain my project to him. The guy called someone up at the warehouse where we keep the oil and arranged for me to come pick up 10 gallons of the stuff for free some time next week!

Huzzah! Saves me $200. My only concern is that the stuff won't be clear. However, I've seen the inside of one of our freshly oil filled transformers and it was as clear as any other mineral oil I've seen, so I should be set.

20. Odin Eidolon

yeeeh! lucky guy!