1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware AMD Phenom II 810, 805, 720 & 710 AM3 CPUs

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 11 Feb 2009.

1. Tim S

Tim S OG

2. n3mo

n3mo What's a Dremel?

Already ordered six 720s and two 940s, let's see when they get here... DDR3 was useless since the beginning and still is. It's all about latency, and on-die controllers are very latency sensitive. The high throughput compensates for that a little (but only for the fastest DDR3 available) but considering the price, DDR3 is a failure and will be useless until we see cheap, high clocked 4GB sticks.

3. Gremlin

Gremlin What's a Dremel?

I'll put it down to the move but this review was SERIOUSLY lacking a lot, shamefully so imo

3 games!?!? no overclocking!?!?! forgetting to list the motherboards used in the test setup!?!?

whats up with that guys! come on!! no overclocking with a black edition CPU should be illegal

4. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Added in the test setup picture this morning and we've only ever tested 3 games.

Overclocking will come at some point in a separate piece. :)

5. Kúsař

Kúsař regular bit-tech reader

My faith in AMD was well deserved. I'm going to buy 720BE(+1066MHz DDR2). I wonder when I'll see these CPUs arrive in my country.
    Ah, I can't wait to start OCing it. I think I'll see BIOS screen in my dreams 'till I get my new 720...

6. Gremlin

Gremlin What's a Dremel?

Cheers i was wondering about the boards since later in the article 2 were mentioned

and alright schweet , but can i ask how well does the 730 OC? does it live up to its 940 big brother in that department?

7. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Thing is, the MSI 790GX board is a bag of pants so I didnt want to OC on that, so I'm going to have a play with it in this DFI 790FX and Gigabyte AM3 in the next few days :)

8. naokaji

naokaji whatever

The 720BE looks very attractive to me, especially consideing that it is the same price as a E7500 and 20£ below a E8500 (that and the fact that I have 4GB DDR3 that I am currently not using from the x48 days).

9. Xir

Xir Modder

Well, they're running with a max. of 50% workforce...and have stated they want to reduce silicon in the channel so this comes as no surprise. :D

10. Goty

Goty Minimodder

AMD's workforce has next to nothing to do with their level of production; it has more to do with R&D, I'd assume.

11. Primoz

Primoz What's a Dremel?

Guys, AM3 is actually 941 pins. This DDR2/3 'AM3' CPU has 938 pins since 2 are missing to make them fit into the AM2(+) socket - as seen in the pic two patches are 3 instead of 2 pin long. THese are moved on the AM3 socket and in conjunction to that, the socket has all 4 corners chamfered instead of one being 'cut' to an 'L' like with AM(+). Fitting all 941 pins on a CPU will make it AM2 incompatible which is logical since DDR3 only CPUs are coming. There are then only 2 sockets but actually (probably) 3 pinouts for the CPUs.

12. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

Would you be able to tell us what processors might be featured? And also how many other games were you gonna test? I was personally happy about the games choices because crysis was in there, crysis is one of the few games around that actually requires both a powerful CPU and a powerful GPU instead of just being GPU orientated with the CPU being a boost. I was gonna get a x2 7750BE but seeing how well the x3 710 performs I stopped looking down on triple core and for £30 extra (give or take) it makes quite a difference. Look forward to the overclocking review.

13. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

does Am3 processors work with on AM2 (not AM2+) motherboards? or am I going to have to buy a new motherboard....

14. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

Aww whats with the resolution testing on the games, ugh the Phenom II start to overtake the Core I7 in resolutions higher then 1680x1050 ~_~ oh well.... still a nice close race ^_^

15. dec

dec [blank space]

Why didnt AMD release these with the new chipsets? It just makes more sense to me to release a new processor and its chipset at the same time like intel did with i7 and X58. Yes i know the 800 series is a long way off but didnt anybody say "it would be more effective to release them (and thereby develop them) at the same time"? Can DDR2 run in triple channel mode? If so that would be a nice alternative to DDR3 until the prices go down.....

16. HourBeforeDawn

HourBeforeDawn a.k.a KazeModz

because this way seeing how it works on AM2+ people who cant afford a big upgrade at once can buy this AM3 cpu and use it on their AM2+ board and then save money again and then when it comes out get the AM3 board, it makes perfect since to me. I think is also the best way to upgrade as it lets you distribute the expense :)

Last edited: 11 Feb 2009
  17. Primoz

Primoz What's a Dremel?

Intel NEEDED a new chipset because of the integrated memory controler. AMD doesn't need that. And DDR2 could run in triple channel mode, it's a thing of the controller. There's just not any point. Even dual channel is what, 5% in the real world? Sure, it doubles the bandwidth but makes it all more expensive.

Some people have luck with an M2N-SLI and the higher end Asus models are supposed to be working. Check your mobo CPu support list to be sure. In general, AM2+ is the way to go.

18. ssj12

ssj12 Minimodder

@Primoz - thanks for the reply, I guess I have more to spend when my income check comes in than originally thought =[

19. [USRF]Obiwan

[USRF]Obiwan What's a Dremel?

I also like the layout of the new GigaByte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P AM3 motherboard and the little brother GigaByte GA-MA790XT-UD4P. But if you already have a recent am2+ motherboard I think it is best to stick with it unless you want to pay for a expensive motherboard and DDR3 ram. The cheaper option would be to buy a recent AM2+ motherboard and DDR2 ram. But since there are little recent AM2+ motherboards reviewed on BT, witch on to get is a thinker...

My person wish would be a AM3 motherboard with DDR2 memory support, no ide, no fdd, 90degree sata along the edge. I hope some motherboard engineer would read this last sentence. ;)

The top range AM3 motherboards:
    Gigabyte AM3 pics can be found here. very nice layout!

MSI AM3 pics can be found here... Also a very nice layout with quad crossfire and overclocker options like potentiometers and buttons.

Asus AM3 pics can be found here...

Biostar AM3 pics can be found here...

ECS AM3 pics can be found here... Very clean layout and no FDD!

DFI, Foxconn and ASRock don't have AM3 boards out (yet)

Asus is a bit of a let down to me, the Asus AM3 range looks very outdated compared to MSI and Gigabyte. Even Biostars first and only AM3 motherboard looks better. Both Gigabyte and MSI are the winners with very nice layouts and great feature sets.

Last edited: 12 Feb 2009
  20. aron311

aron311 What's a Dremel?

Are you sure this is right? 100W draw FROM THE WALL with a GTX 280. OMG thats low.

Tags: Add Tags