1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. Otis1337

Otis1337 aka - Ripp3r

so here is an updated version of what iv posted a bit back.
    SRAM X.9 shifter and changer with SRAM cabling
    SRAM 32 ratio 9 speed casset
    RocketV WTB saddle
    lizardskin lock grips
    steer stem cut right down
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

next on my list after intel i7 upgrade will be peddels and wheals

2. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Nice helmet, red version of mine.

3. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Not mine, but a friend of mine owns these:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Cervelo has the training wheels on, the race wheels are a lot nicer.

4. Hwulex

Hwulex Minimodder

I gots that helmet!

[​IMG]

Hahaha. Shut it, Peanut.

Does depend on the commute. I was doing 70 mile round trip over the North Downs every day until I broke my knee so right tool for the job and all that. Can't wait to get back to it, I miss riding. :(

Oh and to put in to context those looking to spend £1500 on a commuting bike, I'm riding an 04 Specialized Allez Sport from new pretty much stock, cost £750 and going very strong over four years on. £1500 will get you a good racing bike, so unless you will be doing so I'd say save some cash or look at something around £750 like I did and buy decent shoes (~£100) and decent shorts (£70) waterproof / baselayer / jerseys / arm warmers / Sealskinz / etc etc.

5. RTT

RTT #parp

:D

6. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

I've just been properly broken in to the local area now, I got hit by a car pulled on to a main road smack into the side of me, lovely bruise on my left leg, scratched elbows, bit stiff. Not had a chance to properly check my bike out yet but I'll do that in the morning.

7. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

I live around the area.

8. AngelOfRage

AngelOfRage Minimodder

Well to continue the thread, here is my bike and story...

[​IMG]

It must be about 7-8 years since I was last into biking. I used to do quite abit of biking, just messing around the streets, woods and BMX track in the local area, but then didn't do anything for years.

Last year i got fed up of being fat and lost 3 stone, so recently i dug the bike out of my mums garage and thought i'd get back into it as a way to keep the weight off.

I got a new front disc brake as the old cable one had broke. I also replaced the two inner tubes and took her for a spin. It killed me. My fitness level has dropped so much that only after just under 2 miles to a friends house and back I felt terrible. Weak legs, headache, out of breath. The bike however after not being touched for 7 years was fine, just the gear shift had problems shifting down.

I know it's not the best bike, especially for going from A to B (the frame is really small and seat/back end very uncomfortable even on a road surface), but I'm hoping my employer is going to start cycle to work this year so i can upgrade to something a bit more suitable.

However I'm hoping starting off small, a small bit out on the bike each day should start to drag my fitness level back into line.

9. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

Changing your tires would help (by the looks of it). If you want something that you could use on dirt, street and commuting you could go for some DMR Moto RT's \ Halo Twin Rail's \ Schwalbe Table Top Sport \ Maxxis Holy Rollers. I did have the DMR's but I am now using the Folding version of the Table Tops, both are great tyres for general use (appart from mud), the DMR's grip better on looser stuff but the Table Tops are a lot lighter, roll a lot faster (on bmx tracks and tarmac) and grip better on tarmac. Either that or just run your tyres at max pressure as it makes a massive difference, I run mine at 70psi for road use and about 30 - 50 offroad.

A word of warning to everyone (which most people would have noticed\heard already), all the major suppliers of bike *stuff* have now increased there prices in the past month and you should be noticing it at the bike shop end once people start getting new stock. For example Shimano products have gone up 30-40% this week, it's mainly down to currency exchange rates.

So if you're going to buy anything get it now!

10. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Racing season has started - anyone doing anything?

11. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

I wish :sigh:

Last race I did was back in 2002 on Aston Hill DH race track, I managed to get 3rd which I was pretty chuffed about seeing as I'd only done one race before that (beat some sponsored riders and locals too :)).

I'm far too unfit now and need to lose some weight too!, i'm sorting myself in time for the good weather though. I should have got into road or bmx track really as I was always one of the quickest at both sprinting and distance at school (best at 100m though), which would transfer well I would of thought.

12. AngelOfRage

AngelOfRage Minimodder

Thanks for the info, i'll certainly check my tire pressures and see if that makes a difference.

However I'm considering just selling off my old bike and getting a new one. Just as it's so old and has a couple of small issues, I doubt I'd get enough to upgrade to anything worthwhile. (The bike originally cost me £800 back in 2000 when I bought her :worried:).

But more important than that is getting my fitness back up. Am meant to be going to Dolgellau in Wales for holiday in July and hear there are some good tracks/routes around there. So need to be up to speed for then!

13. FIBRE+

FIBRE+ Minimodder

Cool, yer just go for tyre pressure for now then :)

Definately worth doing cycle scheme, it's so straight forward and you can buy pretty much anything you want on it so long as it will be mostly used for work. A customer got a £2000 Carbon road frame through the shop I work at :thumb:

Not worth keeping the Identiti as a hack bike then?, it's not worth much like you said but if you single speed it to keep it simple then it's ideal for hacking about on when you don't want to risk leaving the new one anywhere.

14. notatoad

notatoad pretty fing wonderful

tie down that brake line man! you're going to rip it out.

15. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Well, after the recent demise of my cruiser (snapped the rear axel in half), I decided it was about time I rebuilt my acid.

[​IMG]
    Sorry about the poor quality, not enough light in my basement, and the flash just looks terrible. Will get a better shot most likely sunday when I take it out on it's first ride.

New parts currently bought and installed: Funn Soljam pedals, SRAM 9speed cassette, XT rear derailleur, LX shifter, SRAM chain, 36t front cog and bash (soon to go), new fork (better internals than original), new rear (supra BH) and front (single track) wheels (again, soon to go).

Planned upgrades: new wheelset (shimano XT AM wheelset), Black Market anodized red handlebars, Race Face chain guide, new tires (haven't decided what I want to go with yet), new fork (eventually, and not sure what I want to go with yet, maybe a 66 or something).

Got the cassette/chain/shifter/pedals for $200 at my LBS, and the wheels plus fork used for $250. Haven't taken it out for a ride yet, but it definitely will be a fun ride once again.

16. TheoGeo

TheoGeo What are these goddamn animals?!

Is that the tyax super? I just got one of those (but without mud guards). How do you find it? haven't had chance for a proper ride yet (need to get fit again and find the time).

Can't say I've noticed any squeak though

17. Ramble

Ramble Ginger Nut

Saw an XC bike today with electronic suspension lockout. Very pimp.

18. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

Yep, it's a super. I quite like it, the shock's great, although the seat isn't quite the right shape for my liking. I'm loving having a bike again, although the brakes are now officially ruined, since I have to keep it outside at uni, where it gets unavoidably rained on. Either way, a new set of pads and rotors will soon cure that. :)

Haven't really had chance for a proper off-road ride yet, I've been building my fitness back up just commuting (you wouldn't believe how unfit I was), should get a chance for a few rides this summer.

The mudguards are an add-on by me, I've since taken the front one off. It didn't really do that much when it was raining, and I just found it inconvenient. Much better without.

19. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Another day, another bike. Figured that since I've destroyed my last cruiser, I might as well replace it. Found this beauty at Zellers of all places. $150.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    So, that's the before...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    That's the after.

Can you tell the colour scheme? Just about everything will be replaced by the time summer is over: hubs (nexus inter3/7), hoops (doubletrack or doublewide painted flat-red), spokes (DT swiss alpine chrome), nipples (anodized red), chain (gold or red), cranks (get an american to euro adaptor and run a cheap FSA or RF), pedals (1664 beaver traps in red), seat/post (leather covered seat and chrome post along with triple bolt post-clamp), tires (haven't decided yet, but most likely white-wall).

20. Techno-Dann

Techno-Dann Disgruntled kumquat

I've got a fairly recent Varsity gathering dust and waiting for the snow to go away... Pics will be posted when I start riding again.