1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Text link ads

Discussion in 'Feedback & Suggestions' started by Tim S, 10 Feb 2009.

?

What do you think about text ads?

1. I don't mind them and I might find them useful

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. I'll accept them if it means even more content

39 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. I would block them and blacklist all other adverts on bit-tech

82 vote(s)
    32.8%
  4. I hate them and would visit the site less as a result

129 vote(s)
    51.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asphinx

asphinx What's a Dremel?

Dennis Publishing, please realize that you will only decreasing ad revenue if you insist that Bit-tech should feature IntelliTXT, as apposed to increasing it which one is to assume is your desired goal. However unlikely that goal appears to be considering your suggested feature.

Now if anything, dear Dennis Publishing you have an excellent opportunity to open up a dialog between yourself and the reader/users of Bit-tech, use this opportunity to find a middle ground where both parties (users and advertisers) are satisfied with the outcome. Maybe even use this newly acquired knowledge to alter your other technology related websites as well. I am quite certain that those users would appreciate it equally much.

Personally I would not mind advertising between paragraphs. Or to make myself clearer here's an example.
    Paragraph
    Paragraph
    Paragraph
    Advertise
    Image of Product
    Advertise
    Paragraph
    Paragraph
    ... You get the point.

But this is merely my personal opinion, to reach the previously mentioned middle ground I think You should consider other alternatives/other people's opinions as well.

2. Perforated

Perforated What's a Dremel?

I'm assuming Dennis have at least done enough market research to realise that IntelliTXT ads do bring in revenue, certainly on other sites - if it drove their users away, then revenue would go down, and they wouldn't have gotten a foothold.

The difference between this site and so many of their others (I'm looking at the footer now - auto express, evo, fortean times, Mac User...) is that our users are more technology savvy.

Sorry, Mac users, I couldn't resist.

The majority of the userbase of car magazines, fitness magazines, camera magazines etc. aren't going to have the first clue about AdBlock and the like. We do, and as such are a different demographic.

In buying Bit-Tech, Dennis would have recognised its profitability. If, by blanket blocking the ads on the site, we dent that profitability then Dennis will be forced to review its advertising policy - it's cheaper and better PR for it to do that than to try to get it accepted.

I appreciate it's not Bit-Tech's fault that the adverts are in place, but this needn't be damaging to Bit-Tech so much as the parent company (I assume Bit staff's salaries are not directly proportional to revenue, so a dip in revenue followed by a swift remedial policy change would have no adverse effect on employees).

Just blocking IntelliTXT would see ad revenue largely unaffected, albeit slightly boosted by the few folk that don't block, and thus not hurt Dennis, so they woud remain.

That's how I see it - but I'd love to be corrected where appropriate. I don't have any desire to upset the staff - quite the contrary, I'd love to see them given more control over the site, as they've done a genuinely fantastic job to date. It's that lack of total control that I see as the root issue, frankly.

3. TGImages

TGImages Grandpa

Well, I wouldn't call it a divorce as much as the whole Bit group resigns from Dennis and starts up a new site in the style and flavor of what it is that makes us all like it as it is now. If they (Dennis) are smart it won't screw with a working model in an attempt to get a few extra bucks as it can easily come back to bite them in lost revenues as members stop visiting the site.

I agree (and voted accordingly) that the IntelliTxt stuff is no good. Anything obtrusive (pop ups, intellitxt, sound, etc.) do not encourage me to click and just make me think even less of that product/company and make a note to avoid them in the future. On the other hand, the banner ads that are NOT annoying have, on occasion, been of enough interest that I clicked to find out more.

Many sites you go to just look like a giant collection of ads with a little bit of content stuffed in there somewhere. You have to actively do some searching to find the content. Sites like this do not encourage me to come back again. The more ads that are put on the site the more likely it is that my visits to bit will go down.

4. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I hate them more than I hate being sober.

If they made an appearance, I would just stop coming here all together.

Wait, what. Was that patch tuesday thing a one off test, or is that indicative of how it's going to be from here-on in?

Last edited: 12 Feb 2009
  5. Tim S

Tim S OG

6. Tim S

Tim S OG

I didn't receive an email from you yet - not sure if you've sent it?

Tim

7. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

no I haven't yet, my arm is killing me at the moment

8. badders

badders Neuken in de Keuken

Must...resist...making...a...Mankz...Joke...

9. RTT

RTT #parp

I find that the intellitxt loads only randomly anyway. Sometimes it'll highlight a word, sometimes not. :confused:

[​IMG]

10. DougEdey

Neg, car drove into me on Tuesday

11. RTT

RTT #parp

Was the car ok?

12. DougEdey

Hell no, I beat that bitch up!

13. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

14. trigger

trigger Procrastinator

Perhaps pushing the http://shopping.bit-tech.net/ site a bit more would bring in enough revenue to negate the need for IntelliTXT? It's a great feature, and really well implemented; I always use it when I am going to buy anything online that I think may be listed there, and it gives me a warm feeling knowing at least a few scheckles from my purchase are going to bit-tech.

15. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

+1.

16. yodasarmpit

yodasarmpit Modder

Great, not only IntelliTXT, we now have ads that block navigation.
    Thanks Dennis.

[​IMG]

I have always supported bit-tech, and have never blocked any ads served on the site.
    I urge Dennis Publishing to review their advertising policy, the increase in ad revenue will pale in comparison to that lost via users employing ad blocking techniques.

17. Kylevdm

Kylevdm The Mod Zoo Podcast Host

they drive me crazy! select the text I am reading with my mouse for some reason and so I get stupid ads popping up. NOOO

Banner ads are fine I even click on them :p

18. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

The advbertising on bit-tech is great IMO, not much you could do to improve it and I'm, pretty sure that I click on more ads here than anywhere else put together.

19. cpemma

cpemma Ecky thump

+1.

I hate Intellitxt more than any other form of advertising. My Hosts file is their nemesis.

20. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

In all honesty i would leave bit-tech if those annoying txt based advert ever appeared.

They ruin the internet!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.