1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

13 year old boy becomes a dad

Discussion in 'Serious' started by Veles, 13 Feb 2009.

1. Veles

Veles DUR HUR

Full Story

A 13 year old boy has become a father, though he looks more like 8. Apparently they had unprotected sex when he was 12 and she was 14.

Pretty shocking IMO.

2. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

Wow........nobody recommended an abortion?

3. bigsharn

bigsharn Officially demotivated

The best bit... he was 12 when the kid was conceived

I don't actually see the problem, back in the early 1900's (and probably before) as soon as lasses started ovulating they were married off and expected to start having kids... in some places this still happens.

Fair enough, in this case it was his choice and not his parents, but I still don't see a problem

4. pimonserry

pimonserry sounds like a party.

That was in the days where it was typical for the male to be much older than 13 though. The male was expected to be the breadwinner and support the family.

In this case though, the kid doesn't have a clue, and the girl is likely in an equally bad state.
    They're 99% likely to not stay together, and I feel bad for the baby already. It's likely not going to have a well-supported childhood.

Some people should simply not be allowed children :duh:

5. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

And people say Britain is a good country :/

The 'father' is an idiot, the 'mother' even more so. And their parents for not bloody noticing.

That child is probably going to have an incredibly sucky life.

I hate people :/

Did anyone see the article where the father refered to his daughter as 'it'?

6. UrbanMarine

UrbanMarine Government Prostitute

**** happens when you party naked.

7. liratheal

I beg to differ. I've partied naked many times, in many different senses, and I am child free. Not wound free, but I'll take cigarette burns for no kids.

8. bigsharn

It still happens nowadays in third world countries (not sure of the politically correct phrase for them, sorry), there was the story of the married 8 year old in Saudi Arabia, and (from what I hear) nobody native batted an eyelid...

9. UrbanMarine

:eyebrow: I don't have any kids that of know of, so I'm free and clear as of now.

I liked this when it comes to sex "If you don't want any problems, keep your pecker in your pants!"

10. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Ah. Another Daily Mail thread. :p

Actually, there are a few problems.

First off, it is a myth that in the olden days girls got pregnant at the age 12-14. In the olden days (1800's) nutritional and quality of life conditions meant that menarche usually happened around the age of 17. In the 1900's this went down to age 15, in 1950 age 13, and now it is around age 11.

Girls got married around age 12-15 and boys at age 16-18, but sexual consummation was not expected until later. There were various reasons for this arrangement: no risk of pregnancy out of wedlock, and an optimal use of the entire childbearing span, which given the high infant mortality rate of the times was not an idle consideration. Moreover marriage could be arranged by the parents, which in those times was invariably for economical and practical reasons. Although these ages marked legal adulthood and eligibility for military service in males, maturity and full responsibility were not expected until age 30. The married couple might live with the parents (usually the groom's) until then.

In primitive cultures too, pubescent young girls are married off to usually young adult men but sexual consummation is not expected until the girl becomes an adult herself --in fact, she will continue to live with her parents until then. In many cultures the girl can then still annul the marriage if she is unhappy with the arrangement. In some cultures where this is not an option, extramarital affairs are an almost de facto standard that is tacitly accepted even if not publicly acknowledged.

For more oppressive practices towards women (and men) you need to look at cultures such as Hinduism, and particularly Christianity and Islam. :D

Secondly, child rearing is a big anc complex responsibility. Note that even in Medieval times, the young couple would stay under the parental wing until about age 30. A 12-year old boy and a 14-year old girl would not have been considered capable of responsible parenting even then.

Sir Digby likes this.
  11. liratheal

I prefer the "Wear a rubber, stupid!", but it amounts to the same thing!

Well, technically, it's a Sun thing :B

Regardless.

Where do you find time to learn all this stuff?

12. bigsharn

I shall now run away and cry in that corner... *points and runs away*

13. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

14. UrbanMarine

Nexxo is really a:
    Cybernetic World Information Database Unit (CWIDU)
    Model # CWIDU:N6E3X9X9O6.
    Aperture Science Laboratories
    Cybernetics Division
    PO Box 1688
    Bellevue, WA 98009

15. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

Nevermind. I took to long to respond and Nexxo got there first. That'll teach me to stop mid-post to do actual work!

-monkey

16. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

*Facepalm*

I'll be honest and say that I really expected them to be from the U.S. :D

17. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

Sadly me too. :duh:

18. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x What's a Dremel?

Ahh and people say children shouldnt get sexual education.

One point though if the lad was 14 and the lass was 12 would he of been charged with statutory rape, since thats what its classed as?

Although Westwood did come up with the best line for sexual health live on radio 1, "Strap it up, before you slap it up"

19. overdosedelusion

overdosedelusion I mostly come at night, mostly..

They look classy.

I could tell straight away, before playing it, that they were British (hardly)working class, most probably from Liverpool or Manchester.

20. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

My Dad was only 13 when I was born.

No wait, the other one. 28. With a job and a wife and you know, the knowledge required to raise a child :duh: