1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SketchUp The MNPCTech Case Design Competition, part II: Scratch Build

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Xtrafresh, 14 Jan 2009.

?

This thread is made of pure:

1. Win

13.7%
  2. Win

14.7%
  3. Win

17.6%
  4. Epic design Win!

51.0%
  5. Cheesecake

55.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Awesome fan Scooby cant wit to see what you pull out of the bag for your actual case..

PS. Big thanks for all the pro models that are getting used in my sketchup :rock:

2. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

Ofcourse you get away with that! I even concidered having a rule that forbids the use of these models :lol:
    Rest assured that it's all about the case and the creativity that went into it.

3. dan-ere-07

dan-ere-07 What's a Dremel?

aah!! i totaly forgot about my entery, ive been so busy these past few weeks that i havnt had time to update it.
    ill have to get a move on and do more. and hope i get it finished...

4. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Sorry, I've been MIA working (thank gawd) One word, "WoW!" I'm blown away at everyone's progress so far. I'd proudly display any of these PCs on my desk. ...and scooby's fan design, omfg..haha. This thread is bleeding with creativity, luv it :hip: btw: I'm working on a mod project for NZXT and will have to share one of the features we're milling with ya'll here once it's done. I think you guys will dig it.

Keep up the great work!

5. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Or invisible video card too!

john

6. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Johnny mentioned something to me a few weeks ago about sending you the Khaos... I'm very interested in seeing what you come up with Bill! :rock:

7. bentleya

bentleya Lian Li Snail :)

WOW guys :) keep it coming, deciding i will enter now, just not sure when i will draw it tho :)

8. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

Good! Gives me more time to do other fancy things!

9. verdi

verdi What's a Dremel?

Hello all! Long time (ish) lurker first time poster! Love the competition entries so far and managed to lure me out of my hole. Found the comp yesterday after looking for SU designs/lessons as I sarted playing with it for the first time yesterday so I could design my FIRST scratch build mod. No n00b jibes OK!. I'll stick my pic on in a bit but it all takes a while. I'm doing it all on a 6 year old laptop! It's getting hot and tired. Any feedback would be appreciated. Constructive. Play nice with the new boy.

10. Xtrafresh

Hello and welcome :)

Another torturer of old laptops eh? :lol:
    I'm also doing this on a piece of hardware that's barely up to the task. Some fast advice:

Dont use the models from the sketchup collection while designing. Instead, import them, make rectangles and boxes with the same dimenstions, and use those. Everytime you import a model (even simple ones) your system will be brought further to its knees. After you finished designing, you can replace those rectangles with the models again :)

11. verdi

verdi What's a Dremel?

Thanks for the tips! That will help A LOT. So far I've only imported a mobo but there was a huge lag after that so I've followed the advice and things are running a bit smoother. My main PC is attached to the living room TV so not good to work on when everyone else wants to watch it so this'll have to do until my HTPC is finished. It's a pain though when it takes forever to do anything and over the other side of the room is all my shiny quad core goodness idling at 1%!!

12. Xtrafresh

LOL! again, i know how you feel. I live in Holland, but work in Belgium 4 days a week. So for those for days, all i have to work and play on is mu 12,1" lappie, while the PC in my signature is standing idle at home. :doh:

13. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Hey everyone, Figured it was about time for a mini update to keep the thread alive :)

Firstly - Endless fun with the follow me tool :)

[​IMG]

And finally happy with the grill designs :rock:

[​IMG]

14. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Editor... that looks freaking fantastic!

15. bentleya

bentleya Lian Li Snail :)

Agreed :thumb:

16. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Editor
    Someone just HAS to build this. It's just art.

john

17. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Thanks for your comments guys, hopefully this will spur some of the others to post up where there at now so we can :jawdrop: at there designs! been way to long since weve seen alot of them!

-> jhanlon303] Its in the pipeline :) got most of the basics sized up and all the materials planned but having a :wallbash: moment on figuring out how to get the main res to be watertight : / think I may have to just get 2 x bay res' and just create a fetching bevel for the front :(
    Should get the project up and running in April after we have moved house and hoping to have it finished my christmas just in time to fill the remainder of the parts list with the extra income that great day gives :thumb:

18. confusis

confusis Kiwi-modder

well there's proof i won't win this time either :p niiiiice case

19. verdi

verdi What's a Dremel?

OK khere's my work in progress so far, but it's the first time I've used SU and it's taken me a but to get the ang of it and my 1.6 ghz, 19n mb RAM lapie is starting to hate me. And melt. Did have a design for the case in mind with a see through centre wrap around but I'm having second thoughts now.[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

20. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Looking good Verdi :rock: you got any plans for the shell?