1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Thermochromic Pigments?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by NoahFuLing, 14 Feb 2009.

1. NoahFuLing

NoahFuLing What's a Dremel?

Hey guys, I'm trying to conceptualize a project (very beginning of planning stages), and one of the necessary items is thermochromic pigments. Ideally, I'd like something that I could dye cloth with, or at least paint onto cloth. I can't find anywhere to purchase thermochromic cloth/ink/dye/pigments in reasonably small quantities. The color change I'm looking for is white->black, and the best I can find is white->grey (actually grey->white). Can anybody help? Thanks!

2. Scirocco

Scirocco Boobs, I have them, you lose.

3. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

That's an interesting idea for a project! Hopefully the paint will last for enough transitions to keep it looking cool for a few years. That, and hopefully it won't be too toxic... ;)

4. NoahFuLing

Oooh! Looks like that might work!
    Definitely! Although my first run might be on some flexible cloth. I hope I don't get sick from it. >.<

5. NoahFuLing

Ok, so tell me what you think. I need to use cloth because I need a modicum of flexibility to cover what needs to be covered. I plan to spray the black-to-white from PaintWithPearl onto some rough white cloth, and probably with some sort of UV sealant coating. Under the cloth, I'm going to need some sort of heater, but in multiple parts. Basically, I want to be able to change the pattern shown on the cloth on the fly. Any ideas on how best to do this? Perhaps a shaped ni-chrome wire? I don't ever want the heater to get to the point where touching it would be unsafe (no lawsuits please!).