1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Ask Battlefield developer your questions!

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 17 Feb 2009.

1. C-Sniper

C-Sniper Stop Trolling this space Ądmins!

Will all the game crashes be handled properly with (in the case that it does crash) a full memory dump that can then be submitted or bisected by either the user or can be sent off to the company?

Laymans terms: Will we finally get an error report if and when the game crashes to the desktop?

2. B1GBUD

B1GBUD ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Accidentally Funny

Shhh.... don't tell everyone.

3. WildThing

WildThing Minimodder

+1

Rofl@BF2 server browser - Worst Browser Ever!:wallbash:

4. Major

Major Guest

1)

With Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 2142 being so popular and successful at the time of release with many gamers around the world spending all their free time on these games and normally playing into the early hours of the morning (i.e. myself), will you be combining the best parts of these two games to create Battefield 3 or will you be taking a different approach this time regarding gameplay, weapons, maps etc.

2)

Being a massive fan of the BF series myself, I have played the PC versions of these games a lot, but in both of the releases, the games were not 100% and are normally patched up to get rid of bugs and glitches. Now I know it can be hard to make a game 100% ready and it requires many gamers reporting issues to yourself, but with the release of Battlefield 3 being so important to many, will this time be different? Will the game be released near perfection?

Last edited by a moderator: 17 Feb 2009
  5. Rocket_Knight64

Rocket_Knight64 Minimodder

Well this prompted me to finaly sign up to the forums! Here is my offering. I've rolled in the other questions i thought interesting to keep it together. Thanks again!

General:
    - Unfortunately, it can’t be avoided that EA/DICE has attracted some resentment from the community. Are there any measures in place to improve upon past performance?
    1. beta quality launches
    2. poor support
    3. perceived abandonment of games
    4. zero news / feedback

- While Mirrors Edge has gone down very well as a new franchise, is there any reason for the shift to the more relaxed style of gameplay in Battlefield? Most feel 1943/Bad Company to be ‘casual fad’ cash-ins.

- Following on from that, the community feels somewhat let down with these recent announcements. Battlefields substantial player base has been crying out for a full blooded PC led follow up to BF2 for some time now. Is such a game in development? Is there anything you can do reassure them they have not been forgotten?

- Are there any details you can give on Bad Company 2?

- Just how many things have you guys got on the go right now? Are you not spreading yourselves too thin? Seriously!

Current games:
    - BF2 is still widely played for its unique gameplay, but still has some glaring well documented issues in need of repair. A patch has been announced but 3 apparent deadlines have passed with no news.
    This is a huge cause of agitation in the community, and is a major driver for the negativity towards DICE (They have the time and money to throw out casual bumf but can’t finish what they started).
    Is it possible to shed any light on the issue?

- Is there any reason that expansions/boosters could not be integrated into the main game so ranked servers could run them all? While good in of themselves all they did was fragment the community and quickly die. A Dawn of War / Orange Box like model seems to work much better for both the consumer and sales (the latest instalment includes all the previous ones).

- Does DICE feel that BF:2142 was released too soon in BF2’s life? A significant portion feel that it was a lacklustre effort and not a true successor.

1943:
    - Would it be fair to call 1943/BC2 tech tests for the Frostbite engine on PC?

- Would it be fair to call 1943 the console cousin of BF:Heros?

- Why only 3 maps to start with? How many more are you planning to add via DLC and how will it be handled?

- Will the PC version be available on Steam?

- Will the player limit still be 24 on PC? If so why?

- With infinite ammo / health and only 3 classes are you sure it’s not a bit too simplistic?

This Penny Arcade comic just about sums up my feelings about 1943, Bad Company and what we have all been waiting for: http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2006/7/10/better-late-than-never/

Last edited: 20 Feb 2009
  6. Pike

Pike Uncle Arthur...

I'd like to see the commander back... why did that position disappear?

BF2 brought us the ranks and awards ("...as you gain ranks and awards..."): so if these aspects are staying - part of the progression of the Battlefield franchise - why has the commander role gone? Are they telling us BF1943 is a retrograde step?

Will widescreen be supported? They surely can't use the "it's an unfair advantage" feeble excuse they tried with BF2, it's no more an advantage than more RAM, faster CPU and better quality monitor.

BF2 brought real innovations to the game which were lost with 'booster packs' and the SF fiasco... three maps to start then another every 3 months for free, that'd be good.

Hopefully, BF1943 will be a six-month test for Frostbite DX whilst they get BF3 sorted: Frostbite'd BF2 :rock: (not going to happen is it :miffed:)

I could, but thankfully wont, wax lyrical about this, and also regarding accessibility in games too (personal perspective but very qualified).

Sorry, rambling 1st post.

Pike

Last edited: 17 Feb 2009
  7. stinga

stinga What's a Dremel?

I'm PC player, so no consoles considered in my questions :p
    Here is a killer one:
    1 - Will we be able to prone on Battlefield 1943 on PC, unlike Battlefield Bad Company?
    2 - Any booster pack planned for Battlefield 1943?
    3 - Don't you think that's too much titles in so short time? (Battlefield Heroes, 1943, and later on Bad Company 2)

8. Pike

Pike Uncle Arthur...

Thought: Maybe BF1943 isn't a test of the Frostbite engine on the PC, maybe it's a test of the EA Download Manager?

We know that it's not as complete or capable as Steam, but do EA?

9. Mach1.9pants

Mach1.9pants What's a Dremel?

Hi

1. Will there be squads? Squad spawn? squad VOIP?
    2. Will airpower be reeled in fromt he airwhorage of BF2? More to a 2142 level maybe?

Cheers
    M1.9P

10. MasterAlex

MasterAlex What's a Dremel?

1) Will there be any single player components to any of the games?
    2) Do you have any estimates on when the games might be released, or any betas or demos?

Thanks

11. Dehumanization

Dehumanization What's a Dremel?

Will the PC version be more then the 320 mb limit that the PSN and 360 has? PC users should have better graphics and better sound, since PC download has no limit. Also, can PC users get a map maker or a SDK (or however it is spelled) to add onto the longevity of 1943 because 3 maps can get old after a while.

12. HitmanAdski

HitmanAdski What's a Dremel?

Is Battlefield 1943 supposed to be the hardcore squeal to BF2? or just another 'getting casual gamers into hardcore gaming' product?

Will we ever see the glory days of the old battlefield series? of BIG maps and MASSIVE amounts of players making it feel like WAR and not another CT vs T game like all the COD and Source games... I loved it when you get onto the battlefield (yes not a house or a court yard an actual battlefield) and you could hide and shoot, fly and bomb, use tactics and strategy... this game removes all what stood for battlefield being called battlefield it should really be called Wake Island mini edition 1943.

13. bogie170

bogie170 What's a Dremel?

1. Will the PC version be 64 players... This is most important to please the PC community?

2. Will you please keep the same class system as before as it works best for Squads?

3. Will you be adding Mortar support, this was sadly missing from BF1942 and BF2?

4. Will the Creative X-Fi Sound Issues be fixed properly this time?

5. Are you making a proper sequel to BF2 as well as this mini sequel to BF1942?

14. Pike

Pike Uncle Arthur...

At least BF1943 should only have the two armies, please not a USA Vs The World. In BF:SF they tried to bring different armies but they didn't 'gel' into the normal way of BF2, SF became a different yet the same game. The abseiling (sorry, repelling) and slide cables (can't remember the proper name) were damned good, they'd be excellent in a BF3 - along with the flash bangs and NVG's.

Will the fix (for 'fix' I mean 'remove') the dolphin diving and bunny hopping. Ignoring the political reasoning and validity of excuse for the invasions and occupations of Afghanistan and Iraq (this isn't a political statement), who, when watching ANY footage on TV has seen ANY protagonist of either side in a REAL situation either dolphin diving or bunny hopping? This should not be a key feature of the BF franchise, the whole game should be.

Will they fix the multitude of glitches? No 'firing through walls' (of buildings/locations that you shouldn't be able to get to) - or will this be a 'feature' of the Frostbite engine?

BF1943 will (surely) be keeping the correct rank structure, but will a future BF (ie BF3) keep a non-2142 structure please - Corporal is a HIGHER rank than Lance Corporal.

I know that this isn't meant to be a simulator, but BF2 could have been the mutz nutz... but wasn't. DICE missed the mark only just but didn't capitalise on what they had - and the 3+ months waiting for a patch killed the following too. Fight EA and make the game right. EA, don't rush them.

Will vehicles be balanced - for better gameplay in BF2 the solution shouldn't have been to 'nerf' the Blackhawk, the Chinese/MEC 'cargo' chopper should've been up-gunned (or replaced with a real style troop carrying Hind unlike the one in BF:SF).

15. cheeriokilla

cheeriokilla What's a Dremel?

Mods keep BF2 alive still, and yet DICE does not realize that they should help the modder teams with GOOD SDK's, since 1942 modders have been keeping their games alive until they announce something new, and now BF2 with mods like Project Reality and Forgotten Hope 2. I know so much people that have bought these games just for the mods! as they don't like BF2's gameplay.

Crytek released their SDK and it's awesome, the mods that have come out and continue to come out are so impressive.

You have to think outside the box, modders don't make money out of your game, you make money out of modders modding your game, don't be greedy and release a proper SDK for 1943 or BF:BC 2 or BF3, but do it.

Besides that I'm just waiting for an announcement for 32-48 ppl maps in the PC version. sounds cheap to call it down to 24, and their excuse "64 player servers where always buggy or not full on BF2 and BF2142", lies, I played a lot of 64 player servers in 2142 without major problems. Besides reducing from 64 to 24! you could still have gone with 48 which is double the announced number and those servers were GREAT!. But yes I know how it goes "PC doesn't sell as much as console" crap, so they won't make a sepparate version for PC gamers with higher numbers on bigger maps than offered on console...

Just remember DICE! us PC GAMERS MADE YOU!

1942 wasnt released on ps nor on xbox, nor was bf2, and after that, you merged EA, you owe us PC gamers some respect!

16. Leadcatcher

Leadcatcher GAMER TECH

WHY NOT TRY

OK my question is this.....

Do you have a clue???????

nevermind...we all know the answer to that one.

Why would you even hint that 1943 is for the PC ... Are you really that stupid... You really want the rest of us ( the few remaining ) to finally say " SCREW THIS, we have been slaped in the face by EA again"
    You are so lost ... well no .... you know what?
    You are not going to do what is right for the BF2 game so why do any of us bother to ask.

You ( EA ) are going to market to the console gamers.... and rake in as much $ as you can by pumping out this garbage ( BF HEROS, 1943, ) and lose your core customers... PC GAMERS.

Here is a good question: Did EA or DICE really believe BF2 PC gamers were going to BUY 1943 ? Or is it just an attempt to show that you care. Because if you think that 1943 is something that we want or will even play...Your a R E T A R D !!! With special needs.
    Putting the frostbite engine on 1942 and lowering the player count is NOT making a new game!
    It's trying to grab $ from the console market. So say we just need to make some money so we put this piece of crap out there. And maybe we will not say to hell with EA.
    You know that our gaming clan found a MOD for BF2 ... AIX 2.0 allied intent extended. And now most of them won't even go back to Vanilla BF2.
    Maybe you guys over there at DICE should get the DEV team from AIX over there to show you what BF2 gamers want in BF3... So you might have a CLUE!

17. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

:sigh:

18. Leadcatcher

Leadcatcher GAMER TECH

what????

ok ok ok i'm sorry but Really man this is how 99% or the people who play bf2 feel today.
    I'm speaking from the heart, and asking the questions that 90% of my Clan are asking everyday. So Sigh all you want... These are real players asking real questions.

19. intelfactor

intelfactor What's a Dremel?

Here is some questions for you mr. DICE.

Considering the fact that Battlefield 2 sold more copies on one platform(PC) in its first year than Battlefield Bad Company had sold on the PS3/360 combined on its first year, why would you rule out a sequel to a very successful game and focus on releasing a sequel to a console oriented title like Bad Company then release it on the PC and expect it to become a successful hit like Battlefield 2? Do you not realize that PC gamers despise console ports and the "dumbed down" game play that carries over?

20. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

Yours wasn't a question though, it was just a bile-filled rant. The question immediately above conveys the same kind of displeasure but in a more intelligent way.

Tags: Add Tags