1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News MS: "The worst Xbox 360 failures are behind us"

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by CardJoe, 18 Feb 2009.

1. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

I've had my PS3 since the summer after it came out and its still working good. I can't imagine having to get it replaced. I would be so pissed at Sony if their failure rate was like that. Just the other day I did a 8hour nonstop gaming session. Fan running at high speed of course though I can't hear it with headphones on.

I'm way out of warranty ( could still have warranty if I let BestBuy sucker me into their warranty) so I think one day I will open it up and clean out the dust. That should quiet it down alot. Still not as bad as the hovercraft MS sells. :lol:

2. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

Actually I think the biggest culprit behind these failure rates is the lead free solder and the high heat caused by cramming a powerful system in a small case with poor cooling.

I personally blame environmentalist. :hehe:

I eventually want to get a different 360 just to keep my Halo 3 edition in mint condition. Then watercool it. Like bridgesentry has done with his. I think that would pretty much solve the overheating issue. Plus I want to get my hands into watercooling.

3. Spiny

Spiny What's a Dremel?

"Do you buy it? "

Nope, I bought a PS3 this xmas. One of the main reasons in choosing it was the poor reliability of the 360

4. Paradigm Shifter

Paradigm Shifter de nihilo nihil fit

Yikes. I've had my PS3 since October 2007 and it's been going strong since then.

I've held off on the purchase of a 360 (even though I'd like one for RPGs like Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon and so on...) precisely because of the RROD issues. A colleague who has a 360 fortunately picked up Argos's 3-year 'if it breaks we'll replace it free' warranty, as he's had his die three times now - each time he's just taken it back to Argos and gotten a replacement. But I don't think he'd be as forgiving toward his 360 if every time it died he had to send it off to MS or buy a new one. He actually picked up a second hand PS3 just after Christmas... mostly for the Blu-ray player, admittedly.

It's not all good news on the PS3 front, though - another friends PS3 died a few months after he bought it. The good news there was that Sony collected it the day after he phoned them up, and week later a brand new one turned up as Sony said his wasn't fixable.

I wonder if the new die-shrunk parts are any better? Jasper, or whatever its codename is?

5. devdevil85

devdevil85 What's a Dremel?

That is such BS. My cousin has gone through two, TWO brand new 360 Arcades now in last 4 months due to RRoD. I'm not buying this one bit! If they're so confident then release the numbers that prove it! I just sent a package at my local UPS store. A guy was waiting in line behind me to send his "broken" 360 back to MS. The guy at the counter says that they get one about every day. That is really sad.

The only reasons that I can come up with for why people still love/support 360 (as a console) even with the ridiculous failure rates is that MS covers the replacement costs for free within a 3-year time period for RRoD so owners only lose out on a couple of days of gaming or because "all of their friends own it", so it's gotta be the best...who knows....

6. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

I would say the biggest reason has to be the games and the community.

Xbox Live is great, you have games like Gears of War 2, Fable 2, Halo 3, Halo Wars, Halo 3: ODST, etc that are exclusive.

Also it IS more fun to play with people you know. Unless you're anti social and don't like to communicate with other people.

There's too many tards playing Xbox to make it enjoyable meeting new people. That's one of my biggest problems is the immature user base.

7. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

Yet the PS3 uses alot more power AND has the PSU built into the system while 360's PSU is external..........

Games are personal opinion. But it is great to have a system that your friends do as well.

As for immature tards playing online, in my experience with PS3 I haven't seen a whole lot.
    But it greatly depends on the games you play. Play a hugely popular game that sells millions (Halo, Gears of War) and you're gonna have a bunch of kids acting like morons over the mic. That happened occasionally on CoD4. Not as much though because alot of people dont have mics.
    But I now only play Socom and it is not a huge extremely popular game but probably 90% or more have mics and there is very few kids being rejects. Makes for great teamwork which is required in the game.

8. sui_winbolo

sui_winbolo Giraffe_City

PS3 has better heatsink and fan than the 360. The surface area of the PS3's heatsink is HUGE compared to the 360's. My laptop has an external power brick, so does my cable box, and so did my Wii. :rolleyes:

It only sucks when you want to bring your 360 somewhere, simply because you have another thing to carry.

I guess that is true, that is why I'm hoping Halo Wars does not appeal to little kids. Please God... :worried:

Tags: Add Tags